PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to oldtimers games?

Fnazxc0114
08-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I remember as a kid going to an oldtimers game at the old ball park in arlington. It was the yankees i believe, and i remember some pretty big names being at the game. I wonder why they did away with these?

legaleagle92481
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
I remember as a kid going to an oldtimers game at the old ball park in arlington. It was the yankees i believe, and i remember some pretty big names being at the game. I wonder why they did away with these?

Yankees still have them, idk about other teams. I think the reason is many of the icons of the past who used to participate in them are dead or aging to the point where they cannot participate. And the generation behind them just does not have interest in participating without being paid an exorbiant fee like they get paid for everything else they do. So rather than have second and third tier former players participate which people will yawn at they just don't have them.

Jayworld
08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I used to enjoy them as well at old Arlington Stadium. The lineups either featured classic American vs. National League all-stars, or former Rangers vs. classic all-stars. The last one I went to was in 1986 and was sponsored by The Equitable. Because we had a very close family friend who was VP at the Equitable, my dad and I were able to attend the "meet and greet" at the hotel prior to the game and meet many HOF players, etc., then attend the game and go down on the field during batting practice, and finally attend the post-game dinner. I got the bulk of my HOF and classic players' autographs during the event, including Al Dark, Al Oliver, Bob Feller, Leo Durocher, Ralph Branca, Warren Spahn, Bob Gibson, Johnny Mize, Ernie Banks, etc.

Was a thrill to see my dad finally get to meet his boyhood "idol" in person, Bob Feller. We sat across from Ernie Banks during the dinner; he pumped me for information on computers most of the night when he found out that's what I did in school. Very memorable day and evening.

I remember Willie Mays not attending the "meet and greet" pre-game or the post-game dinner, nor did he sign or talk to anyone during the batting practice. Our friend of the Equitable was very hacked and told us that the Equitable would never have him back.:eek:

MSpecht
08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi Jay-- sorry about your experience with Mays. My experience with him in that type of setting was very different. In 1978, the padres had one of their last (maybe THE last) real Old-Timers Game which drew alot of former greats who played against former Padres. Anyway, Mays was there and couldn't have been nicer. I had a p[hotographer's press pass for the game, and afterward he signed several balls, photos, etc for me. I guess it's like anything--- the luck of the draw. Below is one of my favorite pics from that day---
Mike jackitout7@aol.com

CampWest
08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Royals have one every year... Then they host a charity golf tournament the next day. This year's was a 1985 Classic game to honor the 25yr anniversary for the guys that played on the 85 Royals. And many of the opponents were Cardinals players.

from May 22.

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals' Interleague matchup against the Colorado Rockies isn't the only game taking place at Kauffman Stadium on Saturday.

Before Saturday afternoon's 3 p.m. CT game, the Royals will host what is being called the '85 Classic -- a softball match that will feature players from the 1985 World Series between the Royals and Cardinals. The softball match will begin at 1 p.m. CT and gates open at noon.
Players from the '85 Royals include Willie Wilson, Buddy Biancalana, Dane Iorg, Danny Jackson, Lynn Jones, Dennis Leonard, Hal McRae, Darryl Motley, Jorge Orta, Greg Pryor, Jim Sundberg, John Wathan and Frank White.
Suiting up from the '85 Cardinals will be Bill Campbell, Jack Clark, Ken Dayley, Curt Ford, Kurt Kepshire, Jeff Lahti, Tito Landrum and John Tudor.
Although White will not be playing in Saturday's game, he will be on the field serving as an honorary captain.
"It's always neat to be able to get together and celebrate a championship," White said, "and that's something that a lot of players don't have an opportunity to do. It's just nice to get back together and share those experiences."
After having 25 years to reflect on his World Series championship, White still feels like he was living out a childhood dream. White remembers acting out playing in the World Series when he was just a kid playing baseball with friends.
"I think it's more of a dream come true," he said. "When you're in the era that I came up in, you played a lot of baseball in the sandlot, and you pretend that you're a famous baseball player on a famous team. You always put yourself in the World Series hitting a home run."
Even after 25 years, White's memories of the 1985 season are still sweet -- mainly because he won it for city he loves. "When I came up, the goal was to not only have a [Major League] uniform, but to be a world champion," White said. "I think that is what it means to me. To be able to grow up here and be able to play for the hometown team and to win a championship here, it doesn't get any better than that."

xpress34
08-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Having grown up in the D/FW metroplex (Garland, TX), I too remember the Old Timer's games they use to have at Turnpike (later named Arlington) Stadium.

I moved to Denver in 1991 (been here ever since) but never stopped following the Rangers - in fact I have seen EVERY Inter-League game between the Rangers and the Rockies.

Anyway, the last 'Old Timer's' Game I remember there was in 1994 when the new Ballpark opened.

My buddy got us tickets including the 'pre-opening day' Old Timer's Game presented by Upper Deck.

Reggie Jackson & Jerry Reuss are the two who stand out most because it was Reuss who hit the 1st HR at the Ballpark in Arlington in the Old Timer's game! When Reggie came to bat for the AL in the next inning, Jerry ran to the plate, put his arms around Reggie and started pointing to where his HR had gone and swinging Reggie like he was teaching him to bat!

The highlight of the game came in the pre game festivities - Mickey Mantle was the Honorary Captain for the AL team and (unless someone can tell me otherwise) it was his last public appearance in Yankees pinstripes - he died in August 1995. As he rode around the stadium in a convertible, my buddy and I were able to slap his palm as he went by.

Reggie on the other hand (being the UD whore that he is/was) was wearing that ugly ass UD 'old school' uniform they had made for him. I think it was part of his contract with UD.

Anyway, I do come accross Old Timer's game programs and such from time to time if anyone is ever interested in them.

I just sent my friend in Allen, TX one I had from the 1st Old Timer's game between the Ranger's All Stars and the Yankees All Stars from 1974 I believe.

Cracker Jack sponsored Old Timer's Games in NY and at RFK for a number of years in the 80's... in fact, here's a Cracker Jack Old Timer's Ball I own:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Balls/Ball23.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Balls/Ball22.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Balls/Ball20.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Balls/Ball21.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Balls/Ball19.jpg

All the best -

Chris

Fnazxc0114
08-13-2010, 07:33 PM
hey xpress i live up in mckinney and grew up in wylie. Youd be surprised how much mckinney and allen have changed in the last 10 years.

xpress34
08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
hey xpress i live up in mckinney and grew up in wylie. Youd be surprised how much mckinney and allen have changed in the last 10 years.

Fnazxc -

My buddy Jim live in Allen. I was there a few years back (about 5) and the whole area has exploded!

We use to shop at the Lady Like Shop in Wylie for winter jackets as they had some connection back in the 70's with Obermeyer and had way better jackets at way better prices than Oshman's and such. Is the Lady Like Shop still open? They also use to have an amazing inventory of Tony Lama and Justin boots.

Anyway, please send me an eMail - I have a few questions for you...

All the best -

Chris
xpress34@comcast.net

Fnazxc0114
08-13-2010, 10:36 PM
email sent. Small world.