PDA

View Full Version : Who do I trust?

soxfan
08-13-2010, 03:14 AM
So after spending many, many sleepless nights over the last 5 weeks ( we had our first baby 5 weeks ago) really going through all the new/old posts about sites/authenticators, etc...I have a burning question.

WHO CAN I TRUST in this business?

When I first started it was UD and MM or Steiner, ASI (we know what happened there!!) but now that I have evolved (years ago) into strictly Game Used items, so who can I trust?

There is Grey Flannel, Ameerican Memorabilia, Steiner, MLB.COM, John Taube (PSA/DNA), Lelands, Historic Auctions, Left Field Collectibles, hofbats.... and the list goes on and on.

What is a collector to do?? I know photo-matching REALYI IS the only way to know for sure, but isn't there anyone out there that we can rely on to be true to their word and the hobby?

Jeremy

macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

dcgreg25
08-13-2010, 08:30 AM
While you always have to do your research, I personally feel the most trustworthy sources for authentic items include:

Ball Park Heroes
John Taube (gameusedbats.com)
Steiner
JO Sports
HOF Bats
MLB.com
NFL.com
NBA.com
Left Field Collectibles
Mei Gray
Upper Deck Authenticated (Game Used)

Of the traditional auction houses, I personally feel the best about Mears, Robert Edwards, and Lelands.

This is by no means an exhaustive list and I am sure I am missing more than a few. You can probably add team shops to the above list however they often incorrectly mark GU versus GI. I would also tell you that as far as customer services some of the groups in the above list are great and some are just terrible.

legaleagle92481
08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Yourself. Plain and simple without exception every company on that list has made errors at one time or another no matter how inadvertant they may be they are still errors. Nothing should be a substitute for doing your homework BEFORE you buy if you don't you have only yourself to blame after.

tbone90
08-13-2010, 08:42 AM
You can trust me Jeremy...honestly. :p

Danny899
08-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Dave Miedema. That's pretty much it for me if I can't decide for myself.

emann
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Dave Miedema. That's pretty much it for me if I can't decide for myself.

Agreed, Dave Miedema and I'll add Mike Specht as the two most trustworthy and helpful people I've interacted with regarding GU items.

BradleyERyon
08-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Agreed, Dave Miedema and I'll add Mike Specht as the two most trustworthy and helpful people I've interacted with regarding GU items.

Same here.... these two top class guys always amaze me with their knowledge of jerseys (Miedema) & bats (Specht).

sox83cubs84
08-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Shucks, guys, you're making me blush.:o

Dave Miedema

jbsportstuff
08-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I would also add to the list Mark Fugate of Diamond Sports Company in Cincinnati. He is one of the best at Red's game used stuff.

sox83cubs84
08-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Several guys I always feel comfortable with:

Jim Papaycik (cohiba smoker)
Howard Wolf
Bob Koppel
Larry Pellicioni
Kim Stigall (Ball Park Heroes)
Mark Hayne
Bill Haelig (ironmanfan)

There are, for sure, others I've forgotten, but these guys came to mind most quickly.

Dave Miedema

Dave Miedema

ndevlin
08-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I cant even list how many times myself and Tim from hofbats have discussed numorous bats. Not just bats, but jerseys and other types of vintage memoribilia...photos, etc etc.

Always is very helpful. Never turns anyone away. And his site displays quality bats and good prices. And the good thing about him is he is always willing to work something out with you. I have no problems buying items from him.

G1X
08-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Thank you, Dave, for the kind words. And you know that I think the same of you as well.

Others who quickly come to mind for me include Jim Papaycik, Larry Pelliccioni, Kim Stigall of Ball Park Heroes, Bruce Hartel & Mike Armstrong at Hartel Sports, Dave Grob, and most of the guys here in the DC area such as Jim Reed, Andrew Lang, and a few others who would probably no longer trust me if I listed their names.:)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

platinum1
08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
This is the first thing I thought of when I read the title

Tony Montana: Who put this thing together? Me, that's who! Who do I trust? Me!
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj56/sheckitoutangel/scarface-bath.gif
:p

33bird
08-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Dave Grob, Mears, BPH, Fugate.........