Grey Flannel: Just Lost Out On An Item I Won?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonny25
    • Jul 2008

Grey Flannel: Just Lost Out On An Item I Won?

Maybe somebody can explain to me how this happened?

I just won an item in their HOF auction, I was the winning bidder when that lot came up & ended.
    Sat through the entire auction trying to win a few other items, but with no luck.

After the entire auction ended it still showed me as the winning bidder.
    About an hour or so later I checked to see if my invoice was available & it showed me as losing out on the item.
  • CPuente57
    • Jun 2010

Re: Grey Flannel: Just Lost Out On An Item I Won?

Same thing happened to me, I won the Penny Hardaway home jersey, or so I thought, but now it shows that I lost? I'm guessing maybe the seller pulled the auction? I'm not sure how it works either, first time I've ever bid on a grey flannel auction. Can someone shed any information on how this works?
    Chris P
    http://chrisptop100.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jetersbatboy
      • Jun 2008

Invisible reserve??

Comment

• CPuente57
        • Jun 2010

Can seller's do that? Pull their items if it doesn't meet a certain price? I thought there were no hidden reserves?
        Chris P

Comment

• Sonny25
          • Jul 2008

This is confusing me.

In the "My Account" section on their page it shows my bid as $666 (lol), but the next column over it shows the final bid as being the minimum of $500.

When I click on the item page it shows the item selling for 800+.

Anyways, I talked to somebody on Friday as they were leaving the HOF Auction, they said to email the problem & they will get back with me when they open up on Monday.
          I'm not feeling very confident, but maybe this will get worked out fairly.

Comment

• CPuente57
            • Jun 2010

Well I know on the item auction page it shows $570 which includes the buyers premium, but on my account page it shows the final bid being the minimum bid of $100.00. I don't think it's fair if the seller could pull out after the auction wins.
            Chris P

Comment

• 33bird
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Yea, it looked like overall, some of their items didn't fetch the huge money, like they had in their past HOF auctions. I saw the Bill Russell sweat pants only went for 700.00. So now I'm wondering if they even really sold. Probably didn't reach the minimum or hidden reserve or whatever. I don't like that hidden stuff.

Comment

• CPuente57
                • Jun 2010

I actually got a reply from Grey Flannel and they said they were having database problems and that I should receive my invoice by monday.
                Chris P

Comment

• Sonny25
                  • Jul 2008

Well I just got an email from Grey Flannel as well.

They said there was some sort of database error & then human error with my lot that showed me as the high bidder because the lot was accidentally closed early, but in fact there was a higher bidder.

They then offered me a $100 credit for the next auction.

I'm a little bummed that I didn't get the chance to win that item, but very happy with the communication & the honesty in which they handled the situation.

I'll definitely continue to participate in their auctions, hopefully with a little better luck though. lol

Comment

• justinbittner220
                    • Apr 2010

at least you got $100 credit. That should pay for the buyer's premium on whatever you buy. Surely, you'll see something in another auction.

Comment

• emann
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Sonny25
                      This is confusing me.

In the "My Account" section on their page it shows my bid as $666 (lol), but the next column over it shows the final bid as being the minimum of $500.

When I click on the item page it shows the item selling for 800+.
                      If it is any consolation, I was at the HOF auction live and remember the bid on that item (the auctioneer actually made a joke that it started at $666 on Friday the 13th). I believe that it went from your bid onto the phone bids and ended at what they recorded (like around $800)... It doesn't seem like the ideal setup for them to do an on-the-spot auction logistically, but it's pretty cool to have in the HOF.

Comment

• nickacs
                        • Apr 2009

I just hate they did the HOF auction on weekday because my workplace filtered the 'live auction' piece so I couldn't get to it. Last year it was on a Saturday and was great.

Too bad, they would've had a lot of business from me! Oh well, their loss

Comment

• Sonny25
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by nickacs
                          I just hate they did the HOF auction on weekday because my workplace filtered the 'live auction' piece so I couldn't get to it. Last year it was on a Saturday and was great.

Too bad, they would've had a lot of business from me! Oh well, their loss
                          I thought it was odd doing it at 1pm on a Friday as well.

But I guess they didn't have much choice since the HOF Induction was moved ahead this year (Maybe because of World Championships next month?).

Comment

Working...