PDA

View Full Version : Player wants HR ball you just caught: what would you do?

sox83cubs84
08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
We all have seen the scrambles and disputes over coveted home runs between fans over high-dollar homers from the likes of Bonds, A-Rod, McGwire and Sosa.

That's not what I'm talking about here.

My curiousity is about less heralded but still desirable milestone home runs...such as the Cardinals' Steven Hill, who hit his first yesterday, or the 300th HRs hit in the last two seasons by Derrek Lee, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye. In a situation like this, where the ball isn't gonna make you independently wealthy, but it's desirable enough that the player wants it back, what would you do?

In my own case, I have no one answer. My response would depend on who hit it and wants it back.

If it were a Cubs or White Sox player, a rookie, or a player I really liked, I'd probably make it easy on him (inscribed and signed bat and ball).

For a player, I'm ambivalent about, I'd probably turn it up a notch and seek a GU or GI jersey.

For a major, high-earning superstar (Man-Ram, Chipper Jones), I'd try for a payment that would equal one year's rent for the apartment my family and I reside in. If that fails, I'd probably consider the GU/GI jersey as plan B.

If it were a player who cheated me or treated me poorly on a memorabilia request/swap (Jason Giambi, Tim Redding or Matt Stairs), or if it were a player who just treated me poorly as a collecting fan in general (in my case, A-Rod or Jim Thome), I'd be on the phone to either Steve Mears or Huggins & Scott before the guy finished rounding the bases).

How would you deal with a moment like that?

Dave Miedema

spartakid
08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Dave, just for my own curiosity, what was your bad experience with Thome? I've always heard he was a pretty good guy.

lakeerie92
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Great question. I would go big from the start. I wouldn't ask for money, but I would try to pick up several items. The worst they could say is no. I would try to pick up other players stuff probably. If I caught an Arod homer I would ask for a Jeter bat and jersey. It would also work to puttee other player on the spot to help out a teammate which would increase my odds of getting what I was asking

joelsabi
08-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Dave, just for my own curiosity, what was your bad experience with Thome? I've always heard he was a pretty good guy.

I had the same thought about ARod. Care to share.

joelsabi
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
We all have seen the scrambles and disputes over coveted home runs between fans over high-dollar homers from the likes of Bonds, A-Rod, McGwire and Sosa.

My curiousity is about less heralded but still desirable milestone home runs...such as the Cardinals' Steven Hill, who hit his first yesterday, or the 300th HRs hit in the last two seasons by Derrek Lee, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye. In a situation like this, where the ball isn't gonna make you independently wealthy, but it's desirable enough that the player wants it back, what would you do?

In my own case, I have no one answer. My response would depend on who hit it and wants it back.

If it were a Cubs or White Sox player, a rookie, or a player I really liked, I'd probably make it easy on him (inscribed and signed bat and ball).

For a player, I'm ambivalent about, I'd probably turn it up a notch and seek a GU or GI jersey.

For a major, high-earning superstar (Man-Ram, Chipper Jones), I'd try for a payment that would equal one year's rent for the apartment my family and I reside in. If that fails, I'd probably consider the GU/GI jersey as plan B.

If it were a player who cheated me or treated me poorly on a memorabilia request/swap (Jason Giambi, Tim Redding or Matt Stairs), or if it were a player who just treated me poorly as a collecting fan in general (in my case, A-Rod or Jim Thome), I'd be on the phone to either Steve Mears or Huggins & Scott before the guy finished rounding the bases).

Dave Miedema

meet and greet with my family after the game if it's no one I would collect.

sox83cubs84
08-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Both A-Rod and Thome treat me like a leper when I ask for an autograph. A-Rod has NEVER ONCE signed for me in his entire career. It isn't that he won't sign; it's that he'll always ignore me and sign for the curtain-climbers instead.

While Thome is, as stated, a good guy normally, he has gone out of his way to not sign for me for nearly a decade. At the ballpark, now that he's with the Twins, he will not sign anywhere near me (though he does generally sign at least a few). When he was with the White Sox, anytime he saw me next to the dugout, he'd decline to acknowledge the fans and duck inside after BP. Even at spring training in Tucson, he'd avoid me like the plague. If he was going down the line signing, he'd nearly always stop before he got to me. The one time he came close to me, a fan behind me distracted me for a few seconds...Thome used the distraction to move past my spot and resume signing after me, ignoring my requests without a word. Thome may be a good guy with teammates, writers and most fans, but he seems to equate me with dog droppings he accidentally stepped in.

Dave Miedema

spartakid
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm confused, does he know you personally?

Fnazxc0114
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Id probably keep it, i can buy game used stuff whenever i want, but ive never caught a homerun ball.

legaleagle92481
08-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Dave Miedema

You would call Steve Mears? He has not popped up on here lately (using those creative ids until they reban him) wonder if he is ok.

legaleagle92481
08-16-2010, 09:50 PM
My answer would be no matter the value that its his for a meal with him (his treat) and a game used and autographed jersey. This way I could spend a 1/2 hour chatting with a player and ask the questions I have always been curious about regarding big league baseball and the jersey would be a cool heirloom that would be special since unlike a jersey I bought it would be something specially given directly to me.

sox83cubs84
08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm confused, does he know you personally?

No, not in the least.

Dave Miedema

cliffjmp33
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I saw this earlier and I did some thinking. I like a lot of different ideas from folks. Here is my though on what I would do.

1) If the homer is from a lesser younger player (say 50th/100th) or a very seasoned veteran and not HoFer, I'd probably offer to give him the ball in exchange for a signed jersey or bat and chance to meet the person to give it to him personally.

2) If the ball was from a possible HoFer, but not 500+ or a single-season record for that player, I'd likely offer it to the player. I'd ask for similar as before, but I'd like it to be game used from that day (I think having something specific from that game in return would be fair). Should it be a possible single-season.

3) If it were a mega milestone, 500, 600, 700, single-season MLB record, I'd fully be willing to offer it first to the player for money. My family's financial well being would be worth more than a player "respecting" or "thanking" me.

I'd want to talk to the person or his representative to say I'd be in touch after I got a few ideas how much it could make at auction. After figuring out what it could go for (generic say $100,000), I'd offer the ball to the player for somewhat less ($80,000) plus a possible signed item as in #2. If a player is hitting those milestones, they have made more money they know about and easily could afford it and additionally, most players have milestone kickers (AROD a million for 700 if I am correct) that would also pay for the ball.

Again this is all hypothetical as I have never even caught a foul ball or BP homer. Fun to dream though right?

spartakid
08-16-2010, 11:04 PM
No, not in the least.

Dave Miedema

So he just has seen you around a lot? You provided a lot of instances where he avoided you, so it doesn't seem coincidental. He must have some sort of reason if he's doing it on purpose.

otismalibu
08-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Dave,

Do you sell the items you get signed at the ballpark?

lambogreenjoeyb
08-17-2010, 07:42 AM
I just went to a charity event in St. Louis last Friday, met hung out with Tony LaRussa, Adam Wainwright, Aaron Miles, and Jon Jay. All of the people there with backpacks on and 3 balls in there hand, and you could see Jon Jay getting pissed off, and I have hung out with him before and he is defintley NOT a negative person, so if he was getting mad, then there's something wrong with that situation.

xpress34
08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Here's my .02 worth because (as some of you may know) I WAS in this situation last year...

On September 8th I was sitting in the Lower LF Pavilon at Coors Field when Eric Young Jr hit his 1st MLB homerun. As soon as the ball left his bat, I saw it was either going down the BIG tunnel (field access) or the SMALL tunnel (seat access)... as I turned the corner at the small tunnel, the ball came over my head, hit the concrete above the doorway that goes into the underground concourse area and bounced right back to me.

When Steve Burke (Head of Guest Relations for the Rockies) approached me, I already knew what I was going to do. I know Steve, so I wasn't going to be a pain in the ass, and I've met both EY and EY Jr on many occasions and they are both very down to earth people.

I traded the ball for a simple quick Meet and Great and an Auto'd GU ball from the game. I did ask Jr for a bat or batting gloves if he sees fit in the future (and to this point I haven't gotten either), but I'm not going to be a jerk about it either. It is what it is.

To that point though, I have gotten lines on two items - THE jersey EY Jr was wearing when he hit the HR (Thanks Milledge!!!) and the Batting Helmet he was wearing. The Helmet (along with a few other pieces) will be done this weekend... the jersey I'm still working on.

That all being said, I think alot of the thoughts here are a bit off unless it is a historically significant HR. If you ask for too much, I believe most players will tell you to enjoy the ball. Jerseys are owned by the TEAM, not the player for the most part.

Dinner or a meal? Again, I think that's a stretch. A bat, I can see asking for - they are owned by the players for the most part.

But - and this has been discussed before in another thread - asking for a DIFFERENT players items (i.e. asking for Jeter items for an A-Rod HR?) is not only rude, but insulting to the player who hit the homer no matter who it is besides the fact of why should another player give up his stuff for a ball hit by someone else??? It's like the like the jackass that caught Chris Coughlan's 1st HR last year and wanted $10,000... then he wanted Season Tickets... then he wanted Hanley Rameriz gear... I think he finally settled for an AU GU bat from Coughlan. He was shredded publicly other places and HERE on this board for doing exactly what some of you are suggesting.

Finally, the Thome issue for Dave... I have the same deal here in Denver with Helton. Todd is very nice, and I have gotten lots signed by him over the years, but in the last 3 years, he ahs avoided me like the plague. Whenever I am not out back, he signs... when he has stopped out back and I'm there, he stops when I get close, etc... I got him earlier this year at Fan Fest because my buddy gave me tickets to it and the auto tickets were for Helton. Maybe he thinks I sell, I don't know. He still waves and says hello to me, but I can't get a sig to save my life - and this started at Spring Training 2008... I had a 2007 WS ball for him, Tulo and Holliday. I went straight to Hi-Corbett when I got off the plane. Within 10 minutes of getting there, Todd comes to the auto cue... signing, signing, signing - gets to me and says, 'I already got you' and skips me! What am I going to do? Argue with him and get thrown out or possibly never get another auto from him (which I haven't since anyway)? Tulo and Holliday both come out, sign and were great (but Matty has always been good to me - another story). So maybe Thome has seen you alot and decided he's signed more than his fair share for you Dave or has it been since day 1?

Again, my .02 and if I upset anyone with my comments, I'm sorry - but these are MY opinions and what I DID do in the situation.

All the best -

Chris

cliffjmp33
08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the good post Chris. I didn't realize the team owned the jerseys.

And I'm not going to waste many key strokes, but the negative posts on this thread are a bit disheartening.

xpress34
08-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the good post Chris. I didn't realize the team owned the jerseys.

And I'm not going to waste many key strokes, but the negative posts on this thread are a bit disheartening.

Jack -

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as the jerseys, yes - some players do pay for extras - but, for the most part, jerseys are bought and owned by the team. Certainly with the Rockies. I have talked with guys here about their jerseys befor and I could buy one directly from some players for around $125 - $200 (depending on the style) as that is what the Rox will charge the player for each jersey he wants to keep.

Also, I wanted to add this about the EY Jr HR... while I have caught ONE GU foul ball and many BP foul balls, I have gotten maybe three BP HR balls, but EY Jr's HR wasn't only his 1st, it was my first GU HR Ball catch, so it adds more to why I really want the jersey and helmet regardless of how his career goes.

All the best -

Chris

lakeerie92
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
But - and this has been discussed before in another thread - asking for a DIFFERENT players items (i.e. asking for Jeter items for an A-Rod HR?) is not only rude, but insulting to the player who hit the homer no matter who it is besides the fact of why should another player give up his stuff for a ball hit by someone else???

Your right, and I didn't think about that. I guess it helps having been in that position before.

LastingsMilledge85
08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Chris- I hope you can acquire that jersey. The moment I saw it, I instantly thought about you catching his HR. Please post pictures if you can of those items.

As far as autographs go, I never ask for autos as I can careless for them. Once I went to a ballpark hunting for an autograph for two days and on the second day I got EXTREMELY luckily. I have noticed though if you stay at the teams hotels you have a great chance of getting what you want signed. Whenever I go to see the Mets in DC I stay at the same hotel as them. The first year was put of cooincidence and I was sort of in awe as I was seeing the team before my eyes. They are friendly for the most part, but I never really did anything just observed. The thing you have to realize is that when these players come on to the field it is so overwhelming te amount of people that swarm when one player signs. It gets to the point where it's rediculous and obnoxious. I went to a Mets game this year and had really close seats on the field level. I'm sitting in my seat thirty minutes about before the game, and there's a few people in front standing waiting for autos. The moment Chris Carter walked over to say hello and sign a few, it seemed like people by the hundreds swarmed over to get stuff signed. Some things, to me seem seemingless, but nevertheless people knocking me over and climbing over just to get the superstar Chris Carter's signature. He's a really nice guy though, or at least came across as one, so I shouldn't knock his ability. Anyway long story short, at the ball parks many autograph hounds seem obnoxious and come across that way, but it isn't my problem.

Fnazxc0114
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
This thread reminds me of when ricky henderson caught a foul ball. Not sure of the exact quote but heres a try. "Ricky never caught a foul ball before, so you aint gettin it kid", but he did sign a auto for the kid. I like to get auto's but i prefer going to paid signings. Ive gotten them at the park several times, but i always feel a little strange doing it while surrounded by kids. I think one of the reasons i particpate in the hobby is it brings me back to when i was a kid, and had no worries in the world. Not that i have any worries now, but things are difft. I remember the first auto i got like it was yesterday, not for the signature but for the feeling i felt while being that close to a big league ball player.

ChrisCavalier
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
We just deleted a few posts, and edited another, that were personal in nature. Please make sure you are familiar with all of the forum rules when posting. They can be found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=99

Thanks,
Chris

sox83cubs84
08-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Chris, for cleaning the mess up. Having to defend yourself when someone else is trying to rabble-rouse doesn't help the thread, and is contrary to the nature of the kinder, gentler Game Used Forum.

To Sparta Kid:

I'm not sure how Thome would know me other than by sigvht. I've never had an extended conversation with him, nor spent time with him.

To Otis Malibu.

I do sell some of what I get, but my activities are within very limited guidelines. I don't stalk hotels, restaurants or malls, I don't bring duffel bags overflowing with baseballs or photo albums with 9 cards of the same player on a page. What I let go of is bound for 1 of about 6 loyal friends/customers, or is sent off the the Baseball Almanac website for use on their player bio pages. I'm not looking to be a big-time autograph dealer...there are too many of those in Chicago already.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dave Miedema

otismalibu
08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I do sell some of what I get, but my activities are within very limited guidelines. I don't stalk hotels, restaurants or malls, I don't bring duffel bags overflowing with baseballs or photo albums with 9 cards of the same player on a page. What I let go of is bound for 1 of about 6 loyal friends/customers, or is sent off the the Baseball Almanac website for use on their player bio pages. I'm not looking to be a big-time autograph dealer...there are too many of those in Chicago already.

Gotcha. Maybe they just think you're a big-time autograph dealer :)

I can't remember what I was watching...probably something on ESPN, but Brett Hull bluntly stated he hates people that get autos to sell on eBay. I'm sure many athletes share his sentiments, but have a hard time distinguishing between collector and dealer. Hard enough to tell the difference on this board.

Fnazxc0114
08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
I think that is why a lot of guys side panel balls now. I just wish my team had more paid signings.

tkd7
08-18-2010, 05:40 AM
I'd be happy with a replacement ball and a photo opportunity with the player. If a game used bat came along, that would be great. The experience would be better than the stuff.

joelsabi
08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Here's my .02 worth because (as some of you may know) I WAS in this situation last year...

On September 8th I was sitting in the Lower LF Pavilon at Coors Field when Eric Young Jr hit his 1st MLB homerun. As soon as the ball left his bat, I saw it was either going down the BIG tunnel (field access) or the SMALL tunnel (seat access)... as I turned the corner at the small tunnel, the ball came over my head, hit the concrete above the doorway that goes into the underground concourse area and bounced right back to me.

When Steve Burke (Head of Guest Relations for the Rockies) approached me, I already knew what I was going to do. I know Steve, so I wasn't going to be a pain in the ass, and I've met both EY and EY Jr on many occasions and they are both very down to earth people.

I traded the ball for a simple quick Meet and Great and an Auto'd GU ball from the game. I did ask Jr for a bat or batting gloves if he sees fit in the future (and to this point I haven't gotten either), but I'm not going to be a jerk about it either. It is what it is.

To that point though, I have gotten lines on two items - THE jersey EY Jr was wearing when he hit the HR (Thanks Milledge!!!) and the Batting Helmet he was wearing. The Helmet (along with a few other pieces) will be done this weekend... the jersey I'm still working on.

That all being said, I think alot of the thoughts here are a bit off unless it is a historically significant HR. If you ask for too much, I believe most players will tell you to enjoy the ball. Jerseys are owned by the TEAM, not the player for the most part.

Dinner or a meal? Again, I think that's a stretch. A bat, I can see asking for - they are owned by the players for the most part.

But - and this has been discussed before in another thread - asking for a DIFFERENT players items (i.e. asking for Jeter items for an A-Rod HR?) is not only rude, but insulting to the player who hit the homer no matter who it is besides the fact of why should another player give up his stuff for a ball hit by someone else??? It's like the like the jackass that caught Chris Coughlan's 1st HR last year and wanted $10,000... then he wanted Season Tickets... then he wanted Hanley Rameriz gear... I think he finally settled for an AU GU bat from Coughlan. He was shredded publicly other places and HERE on this board for doing exactly what some of you are suggesting.

Finally, the Thome issue for Dave... I have the same deal here in Denver with Helton. Todd is very nice, and I have gotten lots signed by him over the years, but in the last 3 years, he ahs avoided me like the plague. Whenever I am not out back, he signs... when he has stopped out back and I'm there, he stops when I get close, etc... I got him earlier this year at Fan Fest because my buddy gave me tickets to it and the auto tickets were for Helton. Maybe he thinks I sell, I don't know. He still waves and says hello to me, but I can't get a sig to save my life - and this started at Spring Training 2008... I had a 2007 WS ball for him, Tulo and Holliday. I went straight to Hi-Corbett when I got off the plane. Within 10 minutes of getting there, Todd comes to the auto cue... signing, signing, signing - gets to me and says, 'I already got you' and skips me! What am I going to do? Argue with him and get thrown out or possibly never get another auto from him (which I haven't since anyway)? Tulo and Holliday both come out, sign and were great (but Matty has always been good to me - another story). So maybe Thome has seen you alot and decided he's signed more than his fair share for you Dave or has it been since day 1?

Again, my .02 and if I upset anyone with my comments, I'm sorry - but these are MY opinions and what I DID do in the situation.

All the best -

Chris

Chris,

How was the meet and greet with EY Jr? Did he seem happy and appreciative that he got the ball back? Were you glad about your decision in the end.

On Helton, maybe that's the feeling that players have when they see a person on many occasion. "I already got you." Maybe that's what is happening with Dave on Thome too.

JeffB
08-18-2010, 10:43 AM
If I got a ball that was significant to a player I can be easily had for a game worn jersey. In the case of an MLB team, they have a designated negotiator who will approach you and try to strike a deal. In that case I have no problem handing over a Repko or Valencia ball in exchange for a Mauer or Thome item if the team is willing to play the price since I'm not dealing with the player directly and have to be concerned with insulting him. Obtaining the ball is the negotiator's job and other memorabilia is a big part of the currency he has to work with.

It's all situational. If it's a player I was personally a big fan of, such as Cuddyer, I'd settle for less "gear" but ask for a chance to give it to him in person.

tigerdale
08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I've often wondered what I would do....this could happen w/ memorabilia at a signing too, someone may want something back....I think like anything in life, a lot would probably depend on how you were approached & if they seemed genuine. If this were the case, I'm sure I would make it happen & give it back....if I were approached rude & someone just expected it back...it may be a different story.

rose14
08-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm not really into autographs unless Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig and some other older HOF's just happen to magically come to life.

I do have a situation where I have a plan for an item in my collection. My situation is a little different because this is an item that I have invested $2k plus in.

I am a HUGE Louisville Cardinal fan and I am also a big Michael Bush fan. About 1 1/2 ago I purchased Bush's Oakland Raiders 2008 game used rookie away jersey. This is the jersey that he wore when he scored his 1st ever NFL touchdown as well the jersey that he wore for his final game of 2008 against Tampa when he ran 177 yards and scored 2 TD's.

My plan sometime down the road is to present this jersey to Michael as I am sure he would want to have this jersey as a keepsake from what I hope is a long and storied career in the NFL. I won't ask for anything in return but just a chance to give him something that probably means alot to him (will probably mean more as he gets older) is too much to pass up. I figure I will give it to him after I have had it my collection for awhile and he can enjoy it like I have.

cjw
08-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I picked up Shawn Green's 15 th and final home run ball of the season In 1995. It was his first full season in the bigs and while picking up some supplies in a stadium storage room on field level of the stadium ( I was working in a stadium hotel restaurant then) the ball went over the fence and bounced to me.

Security was around but nobody motioned for me to give it back or really seemed to care. After my shift and the game (still in my hotel suit) I headed for the clubhouse entrance. I had the opportunity to go in the clubhouse a few times over the years, dropping off food and packages and picking up luggage etc. I told the security fellow what I had and asked if Shawn would want it?

To my surprise, Shawn came right out. He looked at the ball, asked if he could have it and asked if I wanted a bat in exchange. I said sure! It forged an excellent casual relationship with him and opened up a few doors to mmet and hang out with additional players over the years (dinners with him and Carlos Delgado, drinks with Cal Ripken Jr, showing Jose Cruz Jr. gorgeous sister in law the clubs of Toronto one weekend!

I guess my point is - if the oppounity arrises, treat the player and/or the negotiator with the same respect you would want and you will prob get more than you hoped for. Now, if it was a 500th homerun ball etc., I am no fool, I would make it clear that i wanted nothing more than to get the ball to the player but the financial options the opportunity offered would be too great to ignore.

slambam
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I think I'd ask to meet the player and have a bat. I'd be lucky enough to catch the HR, and I came with nothing, so anything I leave with is a bonus. If it is a superstars milestone HR I may ask for something more, but at the same time, I think they would understand.

Dach0sen0ne
08-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd probably give the ball back, but if they wanted to give me something I'm not going to say no. I will say, if it was somebody's 74th HR of the season, I better be taking batting practice the next day. :D

sox83cubs84
08-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Chris:

It's not been since Day One, but it has been the last 9-10 years...and it wasn't like I got him more than once a year before that.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
08-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Chris:

It's not been since Day One, but it has been the last 9-10 years...and it wasn't like I got him more than once a year before that.

Dave Miedema

Dave -

Some guys are just that way... I can't explain it... when Todd did sign for me, he had a 6th sense about stuff. I wouldn't mention GU, but every time I gave him a GU item to sign, he would ask my name again and personalize it - but ONLY on GU pieces. It was kind of weird.

Some guys though appreciate that you followed them early - Matt Holliday is my guy. When I unveiled his 2000 ST jersey (his 1st MLB ST) when he came up in 2004, he went out of his way to come talk to me. I have picked up other odd/unique pieces over the years and so Matt knows I collect his stuff. he has yet to see me present the same item twice to him for a sig - including basbeall's - they are each unique: 2007 ASG, 2007 ASG HRD, 2007 ASG HRD Gold Band, 2006 ASG, 2008 ASG, 2007 WS, etc, etc. and so Matt has never denied signing for me if I have something for him.

Having only met Thome once (at the porta potty at Field 5 at Hi Corbett during a 'B' game in Spring Training) I have no real opinion or input on him or his habits.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Chris,

How was the meet and greet with EY Jr? Did he seem happy and appreciative that he got the ball back? Were you glad about your decision in the end.

On Helton, maybe that's the feeling that players have when they see a person on many occasion. "I already got you." Maybe that's what is happening with Dave on Thome too.

Joel -

EY Jr was cordial and gracious, but we didn't really have time to chat (Rockies personnel kind of rushed the meeting) so my request for a Bat or Batting Gloves was after the fact when I've seen EY since - another reason I'm not too worked up about it.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
08-20-2010, 10:55 PM
I just found this PM in my box:

Chris,

$10,000?
Season tickets?

If you're going to ruin a perfectly civil and interesting post regarding game home runs, get your facts right, dude!

The facts, man. The facts!

"Happy"

I'm guessing he's the one who caught Coughlan's HR???

Yes, I may have exaggerated a bit to drive home my point, but he did ask for another player's gear and tickets, etc.

I stand by my original statement that asking for gear from someone other than the player involved in hitting the home run is rude, classless and tasteless.

- Chris

cliffjmp33
08-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Chris, went to "Happy's" site and seems he did catch the #1 hr off him. Below is the article about it. As you can tell there are conflicting stories as to what happens between the "hitter" and "catcher".

Thursday, May 14, 2009
Coghlan mad after buying back ball
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- The joy Florida Marlins rookie Chris Coghlan felt after hitting his first major league home run was tempered slightly by the hardball negotiations he went through to reclaim the souvenir.
Coghlan's home run was caught Wednesday night by a Milwaukee Brewers fan who refers to himself as "The Happy Youngster" and claims on his blog to have caught nearly 50 homers.
And while Coghlan said the fan was willing to give the ball back, the man's original asking price was a lot higher than the Marlins rookie outfielder anticipated.
"He wasn't the most polite or respectful guy about the whole process," Coghlan said Thursday. "He told me he goes around a lot and catches these balls and holds them for ransom -- even though he doesn't say that he does, it seems that way."
But the fan, Nick Yohanek, insisted Coghlan could have been more respectful to him.
"I explained that ballhawking is my hobby and that what I was asking in return was fair," Yohanek said Thursday, in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "I told him I make $50,000 a year working in law enforcement and that I didn't feel like I was asking for too much. He responded, 'Good for you.' Real classy. Way to respect law enforcement. Way to respect a fan."
Players who achieve personal milestones often want to keep the ball as a souvenir, and in all but the most high-profile cases -- such as a record-setting home run ball that might fetch big money at an auction -- it has become standard practice for the player to give the fan who caught it a souvenir such as a signed bat in return.
Coghlan said he gave the fan a signed bat and took a photo with him after Wednesday's game. As Coghlan discovered, that only seemed like a starting point for further negotiations.
"Then he wanted other things that I didn't think [were] fair," Coghlan said.
Coghlan said the fan also asked for tickets to one of the Marlins' upcoming games against the New York Yankees, along with a ball and signed bat from Coghlan's more famous Marlins teammate, Hanley Ramirez.
"I was trying to be as nice and respectful as I could," Coghlan said. "But I told him he could only get one."
Yohanek, who says he has caught a total of 49 home runs, offered a significantly different version of the episode.
Yohanek said his negotiations for the ball began with several members of the Marlins' staff -- and after his request for a Ramirez bat was turned down, he requested tickets not for the Yankees series, but for a Brewers-Marlins series at Florida in June.
"I had wanted to attend this series anyway," Yohanek said. "Considering [Marlins] attendance is barely over 15,000 nightly, I didn't feel like this was too much to ask."
Yohanek said he eventually handed over the ball for the promise of tickets to the Brewers-Marlins series, a bat with the inscription "To Nick, thanks for catching my 1st home run," and a photo with Coghlan.
"While posing for the photo, he said, 'You gonna give me the ball, man, or what?" Yohanek said. "After he was given the home run ball, he stormed off without a word. Only to return and say, 'Why y'all gotta hold my ball for ransom?' I hold balls for ransom? Those are Chris Coghlan's words, not mine."

Fnazxc0114
08-21-2010, 12:21 AM
I would have kept the ball regardless if it was his first or 500th hr. Why would i want something that is g/u that i can buy in the first place.

ballhawknet
08-21-2010, 12:58 AM
I just found this PM in my box:

I'm guessing he's the one who caught Coughlan's HR???

Yes, I may have exaggerated a bit to drive home my point, but he did ask for another player's gear and tickets, etc.

I stand by my original statement that asking for gear from someone other than the player involved in hitting the home run is rude, classless and tasteless.

- Chris

Have to put in my 2 cents here ..

1. You didn't exaggerate , saying he asked for 5 bats when he only asked for 2 would be exaggerating . I don't know where you got the 10 grand idea but someone , maybe not you , made it up.

2. rude, classless and tasteless ? wow , that is quite the statement for someone who asked a player for his and a teammates bat. Not sure I would ever accuse someone of that let alone someone who spends his life protecting others.

3. If I were a rookie and I wanted my hr back , I would completely understand a fan wanting a bat from HIS favorite player or another more
popular player .

xpress34
08-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Have to put in my 2 cents here ..

1. You didn't exaggerate , saying he asked for 5 bats when he only asked for 2 would be exaggerating . I don't know where you got the 10 grand idea but someone , maybe not you , made it up.

2. rude, classless and tasteless ? wow , that is quite the statement for someone who asked a player for his and a teammates bat. Not sure I would ever accuse someone of that let alone someone who spends his life protecting others.

3. If I were a rookie and I wanted my hr back , I would completely understand a fan wanting a bat from HIS favorite player or another more
popular player .

BH -

1st - and not to beat a dying horse here, but Ramirez didn't hit the HR, Coughlan did. I stand by my statement that asking for another player's gear in exchange is simply wrong. It's a slap in the face of the player who hit the ball. My reasoning behind this is that it's as if your not even acknowledging the player who hit the homerun because you're more focused on getting an item from somebody else.

2nd - I understand he is a Police Officer. I spent 12 years of my life in the USAF protecting my country and now have a disability for the rest of my life out of it, so I don't really see the point of adding that statement. He's not the only person here or who ballhawks who is either a cop or military, so that really has no bearing on my statement.

Finally - I have thought about this a lot... the ONLY exception I could possibly understand might be asking for the team rep to get you a GU Team signed Ball. It's not another player specific item and all they have to do is have a GU ball passed through the dugout before the game ends.

As always, this is my .02 and I said earlier - if I offended anyone else, my apologies.

- Chris

godwulf
08-23-2010, 05:17 PM
I picked up Shawn Green's 15 th and final home run ball of the season In 1995. It was his first full season in the bigs and while picking up some supplies in a stadium storage room on field level of the stadium ( I was working in a stadium hotel restaurant then) the ball went over the fence and bounced to me. ...

This story really sounds like Shawn. He's just one of the most steady, mellow guys in The Game. I always liked what he did after every home run he hit - tossed his batting gloves to a kid, as he was coming back to the dugout.

As to the general question posed in this thread...there are just too many variables to make it possible (for me, anyway) to formulate a set answer.

Is it a guy I like, and whose career I follow? In other words, would I really even WANT one of his bats or jerseys, for any reason other than to maybe sell it? I don't know - personally, I think asking for anything beyond a signed ball and a bat is just...the word "undignified" comes to mind, but that's just me.

When it comes to asking for autographs, being a 56-year-old graybeard, myself, I find that a player who initially seems to be eyeing you suspiciously, like he thinks you're just getting signatures to sell, will usually warm up and relax a bit if you ask a question or make some comment that shows you're a true fan, not just a business guy. The guys who just wordlessly hand a player a stack of cards to sign, without so much as a smile or a spoken request, just embarass the s*#% out of me.

xpress34
08-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Got in my GU Helmet and GU Jersey that Eric Young Jr was wearing/using September 8, 2009 when he hit his 1st (and still ONLY) MLB Home Run last year that I caught at Coors Field.

I took them down and got them signed yesterday at Coors Field before the game!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Basement/DSC05234.jpg

On the side is a GU/AU MiLB bat of his, an MiLB GU practice ball AU, my ticket AU from the game where I caught his HR and the ball he signed and exchanged with my GU/AU from the Sept 8, 2009 game.

Here are some better shots of the Jersey and Helmet by themselves:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DSC05226.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DSC05227.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DSC05228.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Caps/DSC05229.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Caps/DSC05230.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Caps/DSC05231.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Caps/DSC05232.jpg

Enjoy!!!

- Chris

sox83cubs84
08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
You get a Glenn Quagmire "GIGGIDY-GIGGIDY" for that beaut. Nice pickup. I hope that I can get a bat or a cap from him when the Rox visit Chicago in 2011.

Dave Miedema

LastingsMilledge85
08-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Chris,

BPH has the same style as the GU jersey EY pants from 2009. There is a possibility that it could be from the same game.

xpress34
08-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Chris,

BPH has the same style as the GU jersey EY pants from 2009. There is a possibility that it could be from the same game.

Sent you an eMail...

- Chris