PDA

View Full Version : Signed Jersey's

samc117
11-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Where should one get a jersey signed? On the front or back? And is there any risk of fading when a jersey isn't signed on the number? Thanks

otismalibu
11-29-2005, 03:22 PM
I've seen quite a few number autos that seem to bleed. If the jersey is white, I think you could simply go with a black Sharpie, wherever you think it would look best for display. Make sure you have an idea of what the auto looks like beforehand :) I picked up a customized Iverson team issue jersey from the 76ers a few years back and had the equipment manager take it into the locker room after the game (Target Center) to have it signed by Iverson. That was my first look at AI's auto. Brutal. Had to sell it, because it was so ugly.

Greg

astros*bats
11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
I prefer to have my jerseys signed on the back number. I think that it looks nicer and have had no real problems with fading or bleeding. Sharpie on fabric just doesn't look real nice to me. I have used a black sharpie on white numbers and a silver metallic paint pen for colored numbers. Having the jersey signed on the back is also better for display purposes.

Frank
12-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Where should one get a jersey signed? On the front or back? And is there any risk of fading when a jersey isn't signed on the number? Thanks

On the numbers usually works best.

icollectDCsports
12-03-2005, 04:28 PM
For game issued or replica jerseys, get them signed where you think looks best. Some like to have jerseys signed on a number. Some like to have them signed on the front down by the tags.

For game worn jerseys, my strong preference is for no signature at all. To me, a game worn items looks best in the state in which it came off the field. The fact that it was worn by the player in league play is personalization enough for me, and a signature anywhere on the upper parts of the jersey is a negative. Signatures that are relatively small and near the tags are okay by me, but still not preferable to having no signature. Another option for someone who wants to have a jersey signed but not evident is to get the player to sign inside the jersey against the back of a patch. This is ideal for signing hockey jerseys that have large crests on the front.

Of course, it's your jersey, so you can do with it what you want. However, if you intend to sell or trade a game worn jersey in the future, you run the risk of turning off potential buyers with a signature. (Though some may in fact prefer it, I think it's more of a gamble to get it signed.) Again, if you really want to get a gamer signed, avoid any personalizations and have the signature placed down near the tag.

JackHE
12-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Not long ago I read an article that strongly suggested using on Black or Silver sharpies/paint pens. That Blue or red will definitley bleed over time.
I have a few signed jerseys and have had the player use a black sharpie.
So far so issue.

Jack