PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Twins tagging question

staindsox
07-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Hey Guys,

I was hoping you could help me out on this one. I just got this a week ago from the Vintage Authetics auction. After talking with a few members of the forum, I'm a little concerned this jersey may not be legit. I am both concerned about the tagging itself and the size of the jersey (I think he wears a 50, not 52). I thought I would open it up to everyone. I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

staindsox
07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I also forgot the mention, as many of you know, that Vintage Authentics stuff comes with Lou Lampson's COA, which doesn't carry much weight. Thanks again.

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

hblakewolf
07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Although Mauer only played part of his Rookie season in 2004, I have not seen ANY Twins jerseys from 2004 that came directly from the Twins with this type of tagging. Usually, there is a 3 digit code printed on the tag, player #, size, year.

Likewise, Russell changed their tagging in 2004 (this is the pre-2004 tag).

Not to say this is not good, however, for over $1,500 I'd want a jersey with no unanswered questions or "oddities" with the tagging.

I'm not an expert in Twins equipment, but I'm suspect of this as compared to other 2004's I have seen that came directly from the Twins.

Rest easy-it has a Lampson LOA!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

staindsox
07-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Could anyone with either 2004 Twins tagging or any Mauer jersey post photos of the tagging for me? Anyone with Mauer jerseys out there, what size are they? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks a ton!

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

staindsox
07-24-2006, 10:25 PM
This is what I heard back from Vintage Authentics. What do you guys think? I would really appreciate your input.

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

"Chris- we have a guy locally that gets a ton of twins game usec bats and jerseys and he said mauer has worn sizes ranging from 48-52. he was drafted as a 19 year old and has grown 2 inches since he was drafted. The key to that jersey is the “Eloise” patch on the sleeve. The jersey came from an impeccable source.

Best Regards,

Steve Jensen
Co-CEO, Vintage Authentics
Phone: 866-304-3090
Fax: 763-208-2890
www.vintageauthentics.com (http://www.vintageauthentics.com/)"

ahuff
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I don't personally own a Mauer jersey, but here is the tagging from my 2004 Cristian Guzman jersey. I purchased this from fan fest, this past winter.

bigtime59
07-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't see how you can trust ANY endgame Russell jerseys, without getting them directly from the team, or from somebody you would trust with your life...
This isn't football, and this isn't the Greek Olympic team, whose "Adidas" jerseys were actually Majestics, with an Adidas logo sewn over the Majestic one (good thing they're both triangular, eh?). Jerseys from manufacturer "R" don't continue to be used when a team switches to manufacturer "M" (the Orioles would have tried it if it was possible, believe me). Hence, the large dump of "team issued" or "game ready" Russell blanks that hit the market last year. I suspect this jersey, with it's nicely crispy laundry tag is one of those jerseys. I can't prove it...but I wouldn't pay for it, either.

staindsox
07-25-2006, 10:04 PM
I appreciate the info. Anyone else have any advice or photos of 2004 Twins tagging. I posted Vintage Authentics reply below. I replied by sending photos of all the tagging I've saved from posts and emails. I haven't heard back yet. I expect to be stonewalled on the issue. Any advice on what to do? I am stuck with it? Should I have somebody else evaluate it? Once again, I really appreciate your input. Thanks guys.

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

staindsox
07-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Can anyone suggest an authenticator whose reputation exceeds that of our beloved Mr. Lampson (note the sarcasm)? I'm thinking of sending the 2004 Mauer jersey into somebody else to get a second opinion. I highly questioned a few things Lou signed off on in that auction. Once again, I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

trsent
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
If it helps any, I believe there was a Joe Mauer batting practice jersey on eBay last month that was a size 52. At least this could help the size match-up, but I can't find the listing on My eBay page anymore.

If you wish to try another authenticator, try MEARS. They can be found at: www.mearsonline.com (http://www.mearsonline.com)

sportscentury
07-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Yes, try MEARS.

Reid

hblakewolf
07-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Reid-
How much more evidence do we need to see here on this site that the Twins incorporated a 3-digit code on the tag, not just the year. Several people have posted here and I have spoken to folks who have purchased jerseys directly from the Twins, all indicating they have a jersey with team LOA and the tag has the 3 digit code. Does anyone have a Twins 2004 jersey, purchased from the team with team LOA that has a single year tag void of the 2 other #'s? Ball Park Heroes (Kim & David Stigall ) has sold quite a few 2004 and 2005 Twins jerseys with team LOA, and I can't remember seeing a single jersey with the tag bearing just the year.

Reid, although MEARS may have experience authenticating jerseys, I feel they have dropped the ball on authenticating current Twins. I have seen a few 2004/2005 Twins jerseys with either no year tag or the single digit year tag that have the MEARS LOA.

Until I see a 2004/2005 Twins jersey bearing a single digit year with team LOA, or a close up photo of a player wearing a jersey with the single year tag present, (Getty?), I don't believe the Twins used such jerseys.

Any Twins experts care to chime in?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bat_master
07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Howard and other Forum readers:

Let it be first stated that I am thoroughly skeptical of any Twins jerseys completely void of normal year tagging. Twins jerseys that have only the year on the tag aren't always bad or questionable.

Sometime in 2005 (I forget exactly when) I purchased a half dozen or so Twins jerseys from the Twins Pro Shop in Minnetonkoa, MN. Among those jerseys was a Henry Blanco White Home jersey with just the 2004 tag. I also didn't bother to get the Twins letter since at the time I had no intention of reselling.

However, a Henry Blanco jersey is one thing; a Joe Mauer is another. I could see how it would be possible that he (Henry Blanco) would have only had a jersey with just the year as I would guess some extras were made up for him to wear. Henry was a free agent acquistion by the Twins in December of 2003.

Since I don't know when the jerseys for the following year (2004) are available I don't know whether the 2004 jerseys would or would not have been completed for the regular players at that time thus making it necessary to have a differently tagged jersey for Henry.

As for the Joe Mauer jersey...I find it odd that with Joe Mauer in Minnesota being the greatest thing since sliced bread and the most eagerly awaited player since who knows when that they wouldn't have had his jerseys ready to go with full tagging.

The Twins regular catcher A.J. Pierzynski was traded to the Giants November 14, 2003. I think that most people would agree that right then and there the Twins organization knew that Mauer would be up the next year (2004) a full month before the signing of Henry Blanco.

That being said they would have had plenty of time to have Mauer jerseys prepped and ready for the 2004 season with full tagging.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Tim Byington

sportscentury
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Reid-
How much more evidence do we need to see here on this site that the Twins incorporated a 3-digit code on the tag, not just the year. Several people have posted here and I have spoken to folks who have purchased jerseys directly from the Twins, all indicating they have a jersey with team LOA and the tag has the 3 digit code. Does anyone have a Twins 2004 jersey, purchased from the team with team LOA that has a single year tag void of the 2 other #'s? Ball Park Heroes (Kim & David Stigall ) has sold quite a few 2004 and 2005 Twins jerseys with team LOA, and I can't remember seeing a single jersey with the tag bearing just the year.

Reid, although MEARS may have experience authenticating jerseys, I feel they have dropped the ball on authenticating current Twins. I have seen a few 2004/2005 Twins jerseys with either no year tag or the single digit year tag that have the MEARS LOA.

Until I see a 2004/2005 Twins jersey bearing a single digit year with team LOA, or a close up photo of a player wearing a jersey with the single year tag present, (Getty?), I don't believe the Twins used such jerseys.

Any Twins experts care to chime in?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,

MEARS has a photo library that is beyond extensive - they may have photographs that we're unaware of (I'm not saying that they do, but they may) that can help put a yay or nay to this jersey. We just saw photos produced of Ryan wearing Rawlings jerseys, just another example as to why we shouldn't rule things out too quickly. I'm not arguing that the jersey is good or bad and it would not surprise me at all if your evaluation of the jersey is 100% on point.

Also, I haven't seen the jerseys you're speaking of and thus far have no reason to think that MEARS (Grob, Knoll, Miedema, etc.) would not do a good job with this jersey. Also, they back their evaluations/letters with cash, which is good for the collector to keep in the back of his/her mind. I don't send many jerseys in for authentication (for that matter, I barely ever send an item of any kind in for authentication), but MEARS has been very helpful on a few occasions.

My final point is that I don't really know who else to recommend. Do Rob Steinmetz and Global do these authentications? Rob is very thorough and he may be the one to go with - Keith Vari at Lelands may also be of help, though I don't think they do authentications. If you, Howard, did authentications, I'd recommend you, too, and again, it wouldn't surprise me if you have this one nailed.

Reid

RobSteinmetz
07-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Reid,

While I appreciate your endorsement, I'm sorry to say that I can't be of assistance with this authentication. I resigned as Global's modern baseball authenticator over six months ago. It was never announced publicly, which is why many assume I'm still with them.

Best,

staindsox
07-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks again for all the posts. If anyone can post more photos of 2004 Twins tagging or give me any ideas on how to proceed with the lot I won and am currently questioning, I would really appreciate it.

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

staindsox
10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
I posted this thread when I bought a road Mauer rookie jersey from Vintage Authentic last spring. I strongly questioned the tagging. Check out the new Vintage Authentics auction, lot #39. Is this identical tagging, which isn't the standard Twins tagging, a coincidence or do you think these are bogus?

Chris

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=76031304&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=76378014

staindsox
10-25-2006, 09:22 PM
P.S. and it offers another airtight Lampson LOA.

sylbry
10-26-2006, 08:54 AM
I have roughly a dozen Twins jerseys with similar style tagging. (From 2001 to 2004 the tagging was done similar on the front below the manufacturer's tag.) I can tell you the numbers on the tag fades quickly and the flag tags bend upwards with only minimal wear. The fact that there are no scrapes or scuffs on the numbers and the flag tags are perfectly straight tells me this jersey has ABSOLUTELY NO game use.

Does Lou even try or does he rubber stamp everything that is thrown his way?

staindsox
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Can anyone think why more than one of these have surfaced in the past few months? One is possible, but the likelihood of two from the same auction house seems odd to me. I'm sure they are from the same source, but what are the odds that this source would have more that one of these? I have contacted Vintage Authentics, but haven't heard anything yet. Ideas and input are appreciated.

Chris

big10champ
01-08-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't believe that the tagging on the Mauer Jersey is consistant with other 2004 Twins Gamers. I own a Shannon Stewart 2004 Road Jersey that I purchased directly from the Twins Pro Shop with Twins LOA. Jersey shows great use and tag is very worn. The size 52 tag along with the +2" Extra are almost completely rolled up. The tag is very worn showing 23-2004-1 for Jersey #23, Year 2004 and Set 1. The size and +2 tag are sewn directly below the Russell tag.

Brian

big10champ@msn.com

sylbry
01-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi Chris,

Since this post was brought back to life I was wondering if you ever resolved your issues with the jersey. I see it has made it's way to ebay now. Just curious.

Bryan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140071514180&rd=1&rd=1

staindsox
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I talked with Steve Jensen of V.A. and he told me it was from an local collector close to the Twins, an "impeccable source." That was as far as I was going to get with V.A...discussion closed as far as they were concerned. Well, I just don't enjoy the jersey having doubts in the back of my mind. I was going to re-consign to V.A., but they wanted a 15% cut in addition to their 20% buyers increase. Talk about delusions of grandeur. They aren't Mastro, Hunt, or REA, but charge the same rates. I thought I would throw it on eBay to see what kind of offers I get. I'm not in a rush to dump the jersey, but if I get something decent, I would sell it and probably buy a jersey that originated from the Twins Proshop. Like I said, I collect for the enjoyment, not for the investment, and every time I see the jersey, I just don't enjoy it, so I think it would be better to move on.

Chris

sylbry
01-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't want anything Lou Lampson touched in my collection either. :D

Hope you eventually get the jersey you are looking for.

Bryan

flightposite
02-21-2007, 07:14 PM
http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.3&disp=inline&view=att&th=110bc39127058f68

flightposite
02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/bosteil/Morneau2004005.jpg