PDA

View Full Version : MLS soccer game jerseys

Sincityson
08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Thinking of buying a few MLS jerseys, however does anyone here know of any way to tell a game issued/worn jersey from that of a replica? other that obvious signs of use? any special markings on the inner tags,etc..

jD

2020mike
08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
This site might be helpful

www.mlsarchives.com/

Let me know if you run across any Fire ones. Thanks.

mlsmislnasl
08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I have about 300 game used MLS jerseys and I can tell you the newer jerseys are very difficult to authenticate. The MLS now sells authentic jerseys with official numbering and flag/league patches on the sleeves and they are exactly what the players wear. Earlier MLS shirts are easier to authenticate because teams had unique numbering/lettering. Also earlier adidas jerseys had special tags indicating authentic - player only jerseys which weren't available to the public. Nike shirts may have been specially coded at on time, but I have never been able to figure those out. MLSarchives.com is a good source to see the different styles and what advertisements were worn each year, but it doesn't give you the detail on the tagging. MLSauctions used to be a good source for game used shirts, but they seem to be out of service now. There hasn't been anything on that site since the season started.

John

Sincityson
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info..

When you say the newer jerseys are very difficult to authenticate, what years are you referring to? 2004 to 2009 ?

Also where have jerseys from the last 2 or 3 years been made? I've seen some made in Thailand.. Were there other countries? and can where they are made be an indicator as to store bought or game issued?

AutographAddiction
08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
John, and LA Galaxy jerseys you would be interested in selling? tsharp94@gmail.com

AutographAddiction
08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
any*

mlsmislnasl
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
jD

the newer adidas shirts from 2008-09 are made in Thailand. However the earlier shirts were made in Indonesia. I also have a Chad Marshall 2008 warm up shirt from the team that was made in Hong Kong. The shirts form around 06-07 may have "Made in Thailand" tags in the collar, but not all of them do. My son has a couple replica shirts and they are made in Thailand too. Like I said before, since adidas became the official sponsor of the jerseys in 2006, its been tough to tell the fakes from the real or the real from game used. The newer shirts (last 3 seasons) are even harder. I talked to a friend who works for the Crew and he said each player gets a load of shirts so there may not be much wear on the game used ones. Its getting harder to collect these.

platinum1
08-22-2010, 09:33 PM
If you are interested I have some Chicago Fire Match Worn jerseys I'm looking to sell.
I'm only asking $100 each.
Send me an email if you are interested.
edgar@platinummemorabilia.net

2020mike
08-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Platinum,

Email sent

chakes89
08-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Has anyone ever seen any Chris Rolfe stuff?

He went to my high school and I am a big fan

Sincityson
08-23-2010, 01:24 AM
The recent ones I've seen have all been 'made in Thailand' as well.. I suspect that a lesser known MLS player's jersey that only played a few games would not be made for sale as a replica at the team store/web site, thus any from obscure players that are suspected to be game issued or worn jerseys likely are. Any thoughts?

jD

the newer adidas shirts from 2008-09 are made in Thailand. However the earlier shirts were made in Indonesia. I also have a Chad Marshall 2008 warm up shirt from the team that was made in Hong Kong. The shirts form around 06-07 may have "Made in Thailand" tags in the collar, but not all of them do. My son has a couple replica shirts and they are made in Thailand too. Like I said before, since adidas became the official sponsor of the jerseys in 2006, its been tough to tell the fakes from the real or the real from game used. The newer shirts (last 3 seasons) are even harder. I talked to a friend who works for the Crew and he said each player gets a load of shirts so there may not be much wear on the game used ones. Its getting harder to collect these.

lehmsbobby
05-18-2011, 09:40 PM
anybody know how I can locate any MLS worn jerseys? Looking for current ones of any of the big players or SJ earthquakes

Falcon
05-19-2011, 01:23 AM
John do u have any 2002-2006 LA Galaxy jerseys of Lawrence Smalls?

perlman9
05-19-2011, 06:24 AM
I was pretty lucky. My stepson loves soccer and Devin Barclay, the kicker from Ohio State, played several years in the MLS before playing football at OSU. He was moving to Colorado and selling a bunch of stuff and sold me two of his DC United shirts (one short and one long sleeved)and his San Jose quakes for $100 for all 3. My stepson got to meet him and get the jerseys directly from him. He is a great guy and made for a great experience for my son. Plus, my son got a few game worn items he will cherish. (He likes the Chiefs so I he has about 6 game worn Chiefs jersey, one game worn helmet and a game worn Gators helmet from a BCS game).

mlsmislnasl
05-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I saw that Barclay had some shirts on ebay. He must have pulled them to sell to you since they closed early. I have one of his TB Mutiny shirts.

Falcon - don't have many Galaxy shirts. Might have a couple I might part with. Don't have any Smalls shirts.

Lehmsbobby - the MLS used to auction off a lot of the jerseys for the teams on MLSauctions.com. That site has pretty much shut down over the past 2 years. Your best chance is to watch the Earthquakes' web page for any auctions they are having or see if they have a garage sale at the end of the season. I have not seen many SJ shirts since they came back in the league.

John

lehmsbobby
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
New Website for GU jerseys: http://www.mlscollectibles.com/?sourceid=250X300_50off&utm_medium=email&utm_source=mls&utm_campaign=20110912collectiblesemail&source=20110912collectiblesemail