PDA

View Full Version : In the MLB Database under TEAM ISSUED JERSEY

allstarsplus
08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I am looking to buy a jersey as game used. I inspected it and it has has nice use and unwashed. When I looked up the hologram # it comes up as:

Located in the MLB Authentication Database under TEAM ISSUED JERSEY.

So, I know from previous discussions that if the authenticator doesn't see it come off of the player's back, they aren't supposed to call it game used, but isn't there common sense if it comes soaked in sweat and smelly?

Does the "team issued" classification take away from the jersey or add to the value as at least you know it came out of the clubhouse. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Fnazxc0114
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I dont put much faith in a coa, but a novice collector probably would. If I was almost certain that the item would be something put into the depths of my personal collection then i would be happy with the use moreso than the coa.

legaleagle92481
08-17-2010, 11:21 PM
I am looking to buy a jersey as game used. I inspected it and it has has nice use and unwashed. When I looked up the hologram # it comes up as:

Located in the MLB Authentication Database under TEAM ISSUED JERSEY.

So, I know from previous discussions that if the authenticator doesn't see it come off of the player's back, they aren't supposed to call it game used, but isn't there common sense if it comes soaked in sweat and smelly?

Does the "team issued" classification take away from the jersey or add to the value as at least you know it came out of the clubhouse. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

imo it adds to the value it shows it came from the team and usually a quick eyeball of the item confirms game use.

allstarsplus
08-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I am more comfortable today with what it is and still hoping for a photomatch. The more I have researched it and the couple of calls I got off of this is that hologram establishes it came from the clubhouse which is a positive and the use should speak for itself.

Dach0sen0ne
08-18-2010, 03:29 PM
If you want help looking for a photomatch, let me know. It would be cool to find a match. :D

jetersbatboy
09-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Take a look at this holo number, it sure make me wonder if MLB is full of it. I thought you couldn't list a item as game used unless the date of use was witnessed. I guess the authenticators remember multiple use 3 months later.
Hologram number*LH419956*was located in the MLB Authentication Database under*GAME-USED JERSEY.
Session Product Description:
Session Name:*ATLANTA BRAVES JERSEY AUTHENTICATION
Session Date:*December 04, 2009
Autographer:*
Authenticator:*AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information:*#10, CHIPPER JONES. JERSEY WORN IN MULTIPLE GAMES DURING THE 2009 SEASON

allstarsplus
09-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Take a look at this holo number, it sure make me wonder if MLB is full of it. I thought you couldn't list a item as game used unless the date of use was witnessed. I guess the authenticators remember multiple use 3 months later.
Hologram number*LH419956*was located in the MLB Authentication Database under*GAME-USED JERSEY.
Additional Information:*#10, CHIPPER JONES. JERSEY WORN IN MULTIPLE GAMES DURING THE 2009 SEASON

Good point. Don't know how they can make a statement like that unless the jersey had a marking on it. Some authenticators will use an invisible dye. That jersey was hologram'd on December 4th obviously long after the season was over.

I know the Nats used a dye on Opening Day jerseys 2008 so they didn't have to witness the jerseys coming off of the players backs.

suave1477
09-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Playin Devils Advocate here.

But it is possible they did witness the Jerseys being used over several games and (for example) put them all in a bag and just lmonths ater logged them into there Database. Possibly not remembering the exact dates they were used but knowing they were used for several games is why they listed it in that respect "Jersey worn in multiple games during the 2009 Season"

trsent
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Playin Devils Advocate here.

But it is possible they did witness the Jerseys being used over several games and (for example) put them all in a bag and just lmonths ater logged them into there Database. Possibly not remembering the exact dates they were used but knowing they were used for several games is why they listed it in that respect "Jersey worn in multiple games during the 2009 Season"

Are the authenticators taking items home with them for the winter?

nycpropain
09-20-2010, 11:04 AM
no but they can put them in the box and seal it with the security tape they use. And pretty sure the time to sell gu jerseys are in season as that when top dollar is offered.

suave1477
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

I am not sure of the Authenticators practices where to place the equipment but last time I checked MLB does have offices.

Trsent do you know of Authenticators working from home?
This would be very interesting. As anything can happen with the game used items when they are out of supervisions sight.
Please provide details on what you know of them working from home.

allstarsplus
09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Nate Devlin emailed me this message to add to the discussion:

When you buy a Braves game used item, it comes with a Braves COA or is MLB authenticated. The bats are in the system for the most part. But the jerseys are either not in the system yet or it will say "used during the 2009 season". I have a few including an Infante from last year that just says...used throughout 2009 season.

I've seen jerseys authenticated from 2007 that werent in the system until this year. Braves items are weird, as Im sure other teams do weird things as well.

Game issued doesnt necessary mean it was never worn, nor does game used either. I own a few jerseys that say game used and the player rode the bench that game. Game issued can be considered game worn by the use, as well as the crispiness of the tag. If the jersey smells, looks and feels like new, and the tag looks crisp, I'd stay away from it.

-Nate

Klattsy
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM

I just bought a Peter Moylan jersey direct from the braves and the MLB hologram has the exact same info...

Hologram number LH419894 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.
Session Name: ATLANTA BRAVES JERSEY AUTHENTICATION
Session Date: December 04, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: #58, PETER MOYLAN. JERSEY WORN IN MULTIPLE GAMES DURING THE 2009 SEASON.