"Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AutographAddiction
    • Aug 2010

"Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

My cheapest jersey(other than the ones I have got in-person for free) came today, when I purchased a 1980(One of UNC's best football seasons ever) game used UNC football jersey for only $9.99. What a steal! It is a jersey worn by #30, Willie Harris, who was a two-time ALL-ACC player. He just happened to be from the same town as my dad, which made things even better. Maybe I will track him down for an autograph next time I'm there...

Show off your jerseys that you have gotten for really cheap or for a really great deal!

• sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: "Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

I've had many over the years...I'll list 'em periodically during the life of this thread.

At a c.1990 Milwaukee show, a guy had a GU Brewers jersey of a guy named Diaz (according to the NIT tag), a 1988 road with the Harvey Kuenn patch. I asked the seller about a price. He told me "$25". I bought it without going into celebration, but the guy who drove me to the show, longtime Wrigley Field Ballhawk Rich Buhrke, left the table and went about halfway down the aisle before he could no longer the laughter he was holding in so that he wouldn't louse up this batrgain for me. And, no, if you're a show dealer, you should be educated enough in the hobby to know its pricing structure...it's not my job to tell you your asking price is too cheap. I might do that with a non-hobbyist who comes out of nowhere with a stash, but not a dealer.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• AutographAddiction
      • Aug 2010

Re: "Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

Thanks Dave for actually responding! Too many views and people then ignoring the thread, haha! But great deal for a GU MLB jersey, I wish I could find one for $25!

Comment

• legaleagle92481
        Banned
        • Oct 2009

you guys are going to laugh but 4200 for a drew brees jersey was my best deal. the same jersey sold for 2 grand more a month before at the gfc auction. jo sold other ones for a grand more. the one in the guu auction also went for much more. a few weeks later drew won super bowl and sb mvp. yes the price was high but i saved 1000s so to me its my best deal.

Comment

• Mark17
          • May 2006

The very first game used jersey I ever bought, back in about 1985, was a 1963 Twins home Frank Sullivan. The seller was Dave Miedema, and I paid $150 for it, and I believe $3.00 postage.

While not a "super bargain," it was a very fair price at the time, and remains one of my favorite purchases. That jersey is still in my collection, along with 4 other 60s Twins flannels (all basically commons) that all cost me a lot more than $150.

Comment

• AutographAddiction
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
            you guys are going to laugh but 4200 for a drew brees jersey was my best deal. the same jersey sold for 2 grand more a month before at the gfc auction. jo sold other ones for a grand more. the one in the guu auction also went for much more. a few weeks later drew won super bowl and sb mvp. yes the price was high but i saved 1000s so to me its my best deal.
            well disregard the price, it is an awesome jersey anyways! I am a Panthers fan but have always highly respected Drew...

Comment

• AutographAddiction
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Mark17
              The very first game used jersey I ever bought, back in about 1985, was a 1963 Twins home Frank Sullivan. The seller was Dave Miedema, and I paid $150 for it, and I believe $3.00 postage.

While not a "super bargain," it was a very fair price at the time, and remains one of my favorite purchases. That jersey is still in my collection, along with 4 other 60s Twins flannels (all basically commons) that all cost me a lot more than $150.
              Speaking of Dave, did you see he posted right below? Haha, what a coincidence.

Comment

• 1970REDS
                • Feb 2010

When the Reds were clearing out Riverfront Stadium prior to tearing it down , they was putting several things in the Giftshop to sell , went in there one morning and they had a bunch of jerseys on a rack , they was a few flannels hanging there , when I asked how much they said they wanted $100.00 apiece for the itchy scratchy jerseys , so for $300.00 I bought a 1970 Maloney Home , 1968 Helms Home and 1971 Woodward Road.

Comment

• yankees506
                  • Apr 2010

Dont really collect jerseys but my biggest "steal" if you will, would have to be my 2008 jeter gu home pants i got from steiner auctions for a paultry $156, i guess it was because i was the only person with my plate of food at the computer on thanksgiving last year , family was a little understanding (well just the girls) once i said id let them touch them.

Comment

• AutographAddiction
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by yankees506
                    Dont really collect jerseys but my biggest "steal" if you will, would have to be my 2008 jeter gu home pants i got from steiner auctions for a paultry $156, i guess it was because i was the only person with my plate of food at the computer on thanksgiving last year , family was a little understanding (well just the girls) once i said id let them touch them.
                    Once again, although Im a Braves fan- and despise the Yankees- I have always respected Jeter. Nice pick-up!

Comment

• cjw
                      • Oct 2006

I was lucky enough to find a few in second clothing stores:

-a Mark Messier NY Rangers gamer ($20!)
                      -two 1970's Oakland A's spring training jerseys ($15 each)
                      -Norm Bulaich 1970 home Colts team issued ($25)
                      -a 1977 White Sox pajama top jersey ($20)
                      -and others

more interesting to me is that the Blue Jays started to really offer up there 1980's-2000's game jerseys through the Skydome team store and I could buy common and semi-star jerseys for $100 (including a stadium employee discount). Their authentic replica jerseys of current players were priced more expensively.
                      WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• G1X
                        • Nov 2005

In 1976, the Toronto Toros moved their WHA franchise to Birmingham and became the Birmingham Bulls. Other than covering up the "Toros" on the sleeve, the jerseys from Toronto were usable as the snorting bull crest on the front of the jersey remained unchanged.

The Bulls decided that mesh jerseys with screened-on logos and numbers would be more comfortable, so they canned the traditional durene jerseys early on and put them for sale at the souvenir stands during the games. I happened to attend a Friday night game when they first put the jerseys up for sale. For $25, you could purchase a nice durene with name-on-back. The Bulls had many fine players at that time such as Hall-of-Famer Frank Mahovlich, Paul Henderson, and Mark Napier.

I went to each stand desperately trying to find a jersey of Napier who was my favorite Bull as well as a crowd favorite. No luck on Napier or any of the other well-known players. By the time I reached the last souvenir stand, I was ready to buy whatever was available just to have a jersey. To my surprise, a gorgeous blue Frank Mahovlich was looking right back at me. I asked the clerk the price on the Mahovlich and he said that while all the other jerseys were $25, this one would cost a little more. After a pause, he said that the price was $35.

I cannot tell you how quickly I pulled $35 out of my wallet. While us Southerners are born and bred on football, we knew who Frank Mahovlich was.

Already being a collector of the defunct World Football League at that time, I traded the Mahovlich and along with two Bulls dureens with no-names-on-back a few months later for a load of WFL jerseys and cash. In hindsight, the guy who got the Mahovlich jersey could just as easily post here and brag about the great deal he got on the Mahovlich jersey in his trade with me!

Mark Hayne
                        Gridiron Exchange
                        gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons uniforms, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Comment

• spartanservitto
                          • May 2010

This isnt really the steal of the century...

Comerica park used to have a bucket (sort of) that would hold all the game used bats, and unannounced staff used to randomly bring up bats from the clubhouse. Some days you would go up and they would have all shane halters, other times there would be gems that would be picked out so fast that you would pretty much have to be there when they were brought up.

Well occasionally you would find the most random things, away player bats I think were $25 bucks or something, while Tiger player bats were $50. I was lucky enough to randomly find a Sandy Alomar Jr. white sox bat, as well as the most random bat as well, a Jay Buhner Big Stick gamer. Not bad for $50 bucks.

-Tony
                          sigpic
                          Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
                          My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
                          My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• BaseballGM
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006

My best deal was the time I suckered this 10 or 11 year old kid out of a game used South Carolina jersey for $20..... oh wait, that was a baseball.

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by BaseballGM
                              My best deal was the time I suckered this 10 or 11 year old kid out of a game used South Carolina jersey for $20..... oh wait, that was a baseball.
                              I thought that was the reason for this thread to begin with. I guess the bait did work.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com
                              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...