PDA

View Full Version : Question For Jim Caravello

GameBats
07-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Jim,

Would you mind posting some photos of the 1989 Wade Boggs AS bat? I'd like to take a better look at it.

Thanks,
John

JimCaravello
07-26-2006, 05:33 AM
John - as sson as I receve the bat, I'll post some pics for you. Thanks, Jim

byergo
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
That is a truly great bat. As his All Star HR bat, one I'd consider among the most significant and valuable from his entire career. The only one I'd rather have would be his 3,000th career hit bat. Way to go Jim!

JimCaravello
07-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi John - I received the bat the other day. Its incredible. The pictures on ebay did not do justice to this piece. Bat has great use - has the tiniest of handle cracks - hardly noticeable - its a hairline crack. The flame burned finish is gorgeous. Thanks for the interest....I am a happy camper! Jim

GameBats
07-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Jim,
Thanks for posting the photos. I figured the bat would look better then the photos posted on ebay. Any ideas of the source of the black ball marks? Spring training perhaps?

JimCaravello
07-30-2006, 06:34 PM
My guess is the black ball marks are from BP at the All Star Game ( used probably various balls - AL, NL and maybe All Star Balls ) - the blue ball marks confirm game use after the All Star game which is consistent with the amount of use on the bat......Jim

GameBats
07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Jim,

Was it routine for Boggs to utilize his gamers during Batting Practice? Were the large label barrel marks allowed into regular season games during the second half of the 89 season?

Thanks,
John

JimCaravello
07-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi John - yes, as they were all so produced for the post season that year. They were banned after the end of the post seasoon. Jim

JimCaravello
07-30-2006, 08:13 PM
John - forgot to answer your batting practice question. Probably not - but each player is a little different. At an All Star Game - I think the likelihood would be much higher for a lot of players to use the same bat in BP as in the game as they would not cart a lot of equipment to the one game. Jim

GameBats
07-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Jim,
Thanks for your reply. It would be great to find a photo/video match of Boggs with the bat.

John

JimCaravello
08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Here's a shot of Boggs hitting the home run in the 89 All Star Game in the first inning. He is clearly using a blonde Louisville Slugger. I am trying to track down this photo in a larger format, as it appears the number on the knob is pretty bold and may be matched up. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find this photo, please let me know. Thanks! Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com