PDA

View Full Version : Some words on Jason Heyward and game used Braves helmets

skipcarayislegend
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
After the 2009 season ended, another GUU member (Jimmie, aka hiramman) and I purchased every available minor league batting helmet used by the each of the Atlanta Braves' farm teams. The helmets were all purchased directly from the Atlanta Braves and were used throughout the 2009 season. The team helmets included Danville, Rome, Mississippi, Myrtle Beach, Gulf Coast League, and Gwinnett. In total, we bought approximately 100 helmets. Each came with its own COA issued by the Atlanta Braves.

Using the uniform numbers applied to the rear of the helmets, we were able to match the majority of the helmets to specific players. The collection included two Jason Heyward gamers (both Mississippi) and two Freddie Freeman gamers (both Mississippi). With the exception of Freeman, Heyward and one other player, the COAs issued by the team only mentioned the team for which the helmet was used; i.e., "2009 game used Mississippi Braves batting helmet," etc.

We requested and received player-specific COAs for Heyward, Freeman and Gorkys Hernandez. That is, the description for those LOAs read something like "2009 Jason Heyward game used Mississippi batting helmet."

In December of 2009, I attended an autograph signing that included both Freddie Freeman and Jason Heyward. I arranged, through the players' signing agent, to have each player autograph a number of the helmets, including their own. Freeman and Heyward both inscribed "game used 2009" on their helmets, meaning each signed and inscribed two game used helmets. Again, both were Mississippi models. The remaining helmets, which included Rome, Myrtle Beach, Gwinnett, Mississippi and GCL were generic and did not have player numbers on the rear. The autographs did not include inscriptions since none were actually used by Freeman or Heyward. I won't say how many were autographed, however I do have multiple photos of all of the helmets being signed.

It has come to our attention that perhaps a person or two may be offering some of the generic signed helmets that we have since sold as actual Heyward and/or Freeman gamers. Buyer beware. Those helmets would be accompanied by generic team COAs. With the exception of one Freeman gamer and a few generic g/u helmets signed by Freeman, all of the other signed helmets have been sold months ago, including Heyward.

Regarding Heyward, to date, we are aware of three helmets that were used by Heyward in 2009 and sold publicly. We sold two of them. The other was a Gwinnett model and was photo-matched. With the exception of Miss., each of the affiliates used exactly the same type of uniform numeral on the back of the helmets. Mississippi used two versions, including the type used by the other affiliates.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at jctaylor101@gmail.com or hiramman@bellsouth.net. Thank you.

-Jason

justinbittner220
09-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Hey,
Thanks for this post. I talked to Jimmie, a couple months ago, about the helmets that you two bought. I was trying to find the Heyward helmets, but he said that they've been long gone. This post is an excellent resource to help Braves fans validate the authenticity of the minor league helmets.

dougiedshow
10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I have 3 of the generic helmets, signed by Heyward... if anyone is interested.