PDA

View Full Version : Another Auction House Issue - Bricol

cohibasmoker
07-26-2006, 08:38 AM
I guess we all have horror stories about auction houses and I have one to share about Bricol Auction.

During their last auction, in the wee hours of the morning, I placed an Internet bid on an item. The bid was accepted and I was declared the high bidder. A minute or two later, I went to place a bid on another item. I could not place an additional bid because I was advised that the auction was closed. How can that be? I just placed a bid!!!

I then called Bricol, still within the ten-minute guideline. I spoke to a woman and explained to her what had happened. She was very nice but added that the auction was over. As we continued our conversations, she asked what item I was interested in? I told the woman. She then asked how much I wanted to bid? I told her my bid. There was a hesitation on the phone then she came back and flatly refused my bid. She advised me the auction was over. However, since the high bidder was a old and valued client, Bricol will contact the high bidder and ask if they wanted to sell me the item for my bid – the bid Bricol refused to accept.

My problems are: according to Bricol’s own rules, they have a ten-minute rule. When no bids are placed either on the Internet or by telephone within 10-minutes, the auction will close. When my bid was accepted, the auction should have been extended. It was not and this is just plain wrong.

The second problem is, how about the consignor? They got screwed because they lost my bid and as such, additional revenue for their item.

gatorcollector
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I could be way off on this, but it was my understanding that when a bid is placed on an item, it extends the auction for 10 minutes for that particular item only. That would explain why you could not bid on the second item. It must have been more than 10 minutes since a bid had been placed on the second item.

rose14
07-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Brian Collard is a scam artist and I have facts to back it up. In 2001 he had an auction and I was the high bidder on a 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams card, a Hideo Nomo Autographed Japanese League jersey and a "vintage" Joe Jackson bat. I ended up getting the Williams card for $309, which was a phenominal price. I received my invoice from them and called them the same day as I wanted to have the items shipped overnight so I could get them quicker. Well, it turns out that they just happened to have misplaced the Williams card as it could not be found anywhere. Brian got on the phone and said sorry there was nothing that could be done and if they were to find it they would contact me. Well, do you really think they found the card? He or the consigner just didn't like the price that the card sold for so it just happen to come up missing.

Well, I got the other items and the "vintage" Joe Jackson bat turned out to be a commemorative bat that was issued about two years prior to the auction. The Nomo jersey had a huge red stain all over the front. It looked like a cool-aid stain but nothing of the sort was ever mentioned in the auction ad.

Brian Collard is a thief and I would love for him to come on here and try to explain what happened. Eric, if you need more facts, it was Bricol Sports Auction #23, and my invoice was # 4426 so everything I am saying is pure fact and no speculation.

Todd Evans

cohibasmoker
07-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Hey gatorcollector, here is Bricol’s rule Number 3 for their current auction. You make the decision.

3. The auction is scheduled to close at 11:00pm ET August 17th, 2006. However, we will continue to accept bids until approximately 10 minutes have passed without an internet or phone bid. (With the 10 minute rule, closing could occur during the A.M. hours of August 18th, 2006)

It was not 10 minutes between. After placing the bid on the item I won, I immediately went to the other item but was locked out because the auction was closed.

I too would like Brian to offer his side of the story on the forum because he never bothered to call me to offer an explanation. For many years I have purchased and consigned items to Brian. That ended this past auction.

Jim Papaycik