PDA

View Full Version : McGwire bat

byergo
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Any expert opinions on this Big Mac bat?

byergo
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Oops, ebay item number is: 270624815350

allstarsplus
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
A few of us were discussing this bat offline. The description from the seller sounds great but I have a hard time seeing the use that he describes on the bat.

I would need to see a better picture of the knob to see the batch number but it looks like a legit Mac bat based on what I can see. You are probably making sure that it is a legit game used vs a legit game issued.

Not sure if the flash on the camera drowned out the color but the pine tar looked too light in color to me compared to the Mac's that I own and generally see, but again, could be from the camera flash. I also like to see the lathe striations but again they can be there and just don't see it due to the camera work.

Prices are definitely increasing on McGwire again.

Rboitano
08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I would only pursue a Mcgwire bat that has deadwood, or is cracked. Unless it has a ARF or Cardinals LOA. Too many grey areas on Mac era Cardinal bats, many more bad ones out there than real ones.

panthrotc
08-26-2010, 01:50 AM
bobby, post pics of all your mac bats

eGameUsed
08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I am the one offering the bat for sale. I purchased from Art Jaffe back in 2000. Here is a better picture of the knob. I also added a picture of the best seam mark on the bat. There are 5-6 good marks. I believe Mark stopped using this bat due to one slight grain separation on the backside of the barrel. If it had more use, it would be more than a $1000 bat (in my opinion).

Thanks,

33bird
08-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Why are his prices going back up? Cause he's coaching or because people are forgiving and forgetting? What about Bonds?

panthrotc
08-30-2010, 03:11 AM
I am the one offering the bat for sale. I purchased from Art Jaffe back in 2000. Here is a better picture of the knob. I also added a picture of the best seam mark on the bat. There are 5-6 good marks. I believe Mark stopped using this bat due to one slight grain separation on the backside of the barrel. If it had more use, it would be more than a $1000 bat (in my opinion).

Thanks,

can you post more pics, of the front of the bat and the entire bat laid out

panthrotc
08-30-2010, 03:13 AM
Why are his prices going back up? Cause he's coaching or because people are forgiving and forgetting? What about Bonds?

his prices never really went down down, no one was selling the GOOD stuff. There has always been a demand for his memorabilia believe it or not. Now that he is back in the sport, people are trying to see if they can get some money back from stuff they paid a fortune for. the fact is there is more bogus, or mediocre memorbilia then good.

Bonds' memorabilia was never really in demand. even in his peak, there was always more of a demand for mac stuff then bonds.

byergo
09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I appreciate all your feedback guys. I took in your comments and conducted additional research (mcgwire.com, getty images, former auctions, previous forum topics, etc...) and pulled the trigger with a high comfort level. I've always wanted a 1998 McGwire, and am looking forward to finally scratching that goal off my list and getting this bat in hand.

panthrotc
09-22-2010, 03:23 PM
i just have one problem with that bat, the knob looks way to clean for me. there should be some kind of diritness on it. Can you post pics of the entire bat when you get it?