PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Cards

joelsabi
08-25-2010, 02:47 PM
I recently came across these and wanted know if anyone knew about these. Any explanantion of what is being filled out would be appreciated (abbreviation, terminology, etc. ) Thanks in advance.

TFig27
08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
It appears to be a spray chart on hitters and where to position defense against them. The dots represent where they hit the ball. The first card the left fielder would play straight away and the center fielder would play two steps towards left center.

joelsabi
08-25-2010, 05:32 PM
It appears to be a spray chart on hitters and where to position defense against them. The dots represent where they hit the ball. The first card the left fielder would play straight away and the center fielder would play two steps towards left center.

The DEF Tendency label through me off on the spray chart.

Does bunch mean the fielder plays the line?

What does OPP: mean on the bottom? H & R man seems to mean hit and run man.

joelsabi
08-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Here two more cards: Mike Scioscia and Eric Davis.

I am still not certain what "OPP" stands for and what its says for each player, especially Scioscia's OPP.

ironmanfan
08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
somewhat related, I have Earl Weaver's hand written Scouting Report (on a 4 x 6 card) from every A.L. player from his last season of 1986...Not quite as detailed as the Padres' one but pretty cool nonetheless (example is of Milwaukee's Jim Ganter):

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1gantner.jpg

BIGSTIG
08-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Joelsbi -

I see you have Jody Davis, do you have any other Cubs players from that era? Is the Jody for sale?

Thanks - BIGSTIG

dcgreg25
08-27-2010, 12:25 PM
somewhat related, I have Earl Weaver's hand written Scouting Report (on a 4 x 6 card) from every A.L. player from his last season of 1986...Not quite as detailed as the Padres' one but pretty cool nonetheless (example is of Milwaukee's Jim Ganter):

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/1gantner.jpg

That is pretty awesome! I bet they are a fascinating read. How did you come across them?

ironmanfan
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
That is pretty awesome! I bet they are a fascinating read. How did you come across them?

I go them from Orioles coach, Jimmy (not Jimy) Williams. When Weaver retired (for the second time) after the 1986 season, he gave them to Jimmy as a scouting reference for 1987 & beyond...I got them in their original banged up metal file card holder which I had Weaver later sign..

joelsabi
08-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Joelsbi -

I see you have Jody Davis, do you have any other Cubs players from that era? Is the Jody for sale?

Thanks - BIGSTIG

I'm checking. Will get back to you.

MUSEOVEN
08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
hello i have andres galarraga and manny trillo scouting cards.. thanks