PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper Game Used - Bible Bat

schubert1970
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I picked up a 2010 CU26 Marucci Bryce Harper bat a few days ago. As a collector, Bryce is a great prospect, but I thought the inscription on the bat was kind of unique. If you read the link below you'll read this thread and some people think it's a bit over the top.

I have no problem with someone putting a verse on their bat. It's no different then a player wearing a religious symbol or making gestures to God.

http://beta.beckett.com/group/480418/?tab=tabArticles&p=1122904

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/sports/baseball/16nationals.html

Fnazxc0114
08-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Cool bat, and a interesting conversation piece.

allstarsplus
08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
I picked up a 2010 CU26 Marucci Bryce Harper bat a few days ago. As a collector, Bryce is a great prospect, but I thought the inscription on the bat was kind of unique. If you read the link below you'll read this thread and some people think it's a bit over the top.

I have no problem with someone putting a verse on their bat. It's no different then a player wearing a religious symbol or making gestures to God.

That is a great looking bat. Bryce is being introduced by the Nationals today and hope I get as lucky as I did when Stephen Strasburg got introduced as I got to meet him.

Today I got field passes for all of BP and set that up a couple of weeks ago so I could see Mark McGwire so the Bryce Harper is a bonus as I am sure he will be on the field pre-game.

If you ever think of selling the bat, let me know as that would be great in my Nationals collection.

Thanks!

schubert1970
08-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Andrew, if you get a chance, can you post some pics from your visit today?

gingi79
08-26-2010, 12:36 PM
While I am about as far away from religious as you can get......

Luke 1:37 "For everything is possible with God"

Not exactly offensive.

bigtime59
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
I'd actually have been less offended if he'd written "LOOK AT ME" on the bat in neon green. Look, I'm thrilled that Harper has a close, personal relationship with his imaginary sky god. Thrilled, I tell ya. I just wonder how many would be as thrilled if the gibberish on the end of his bat came from the Koran.

buc
08-26-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd actually have been less offended if he'd written "LOOK AT ME" on the bat in neon green. Look, I'm thrilled that Harper has a close, personal relationship with his imaginary sky god. Thrilled, I tell ya. I just wonder how many would be as thrilled if the gibberish on the end of his bat came from the Koran.

He is true to himself....who cares what we believe in.

LastingsMilledge85
08-26-2010, 06:18 PM
He is true to himself....who cares what we believe in.

It's a beautiful bat and it really doesn't matter what he believes in...but from what has been reported this kid in college acted like an arrogant punk on the field. He will clean it up once he grows up, but still.

Manram
08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
It's a beautiful bat and it really doesn't matter what he believes in...but from what has been reported this kid in college acted like an arrogant punk on the field. He will clean it up once he grows up, but still.

I heard the same thing. When you watch people give him interviews he really does seem arrogant. He is a great player, but still. Once he gets to the majors he will not be the best on the field, at least in the near future

Fnazxc0114
08-26-2010, 06:53 PM
If it were a verse from the quran i doubt anybody would have a problem with it. Liberals in this country only have a problem with religion as long as it it christianity. I could care less either way. In any case it is truly a unique bat, and a cool item to have in your collection.

buc
08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
If it were a verse from the quran i doubt anybody would have a problem with it. Liberals in this country only have a problem with religion as long as it it christianity. I could care less either way. In any case it is truly a unique bat, and a cool item to have in your collection.
+1

schubert1970
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I heard the same thing. When you watch people give him interviews he really does seem arrogant. He is a great player, but still. Once he gets to the majors he will not be the best on the field, at least in the near future

Many of the same things were said about Pete Rose when he was a rookie.

I guess Bryce had a pretty awsom BP session today.

kellsox
08-26-2010, 07:55 PM
If he's a d-bag(which all indications are he is) at 17 can you imagine what he's going to be like @ 25???? I wonder if he's still going to smear the eye black all over his face to look like a tough guy. congrats to him on killing it in BP....:cool:
k

sox83cubs84
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM

+2

Fnazxc0114
08-26-2010, 08:54 PM
To think he would be the same at 25 as he is at 17 is laughable. Hes a kid, and i would expect him to act like one. Just because he can hit a baseball, does not mean that he shouldnt be expected to act like a kid.

spartakid
08-26-2010, 09:51 PM
To think he would be the same at 25 as he is at 17 is laughable. Hes a kid, and i would expect him to act like one. Just because he can hit a baseball, does not mean that he shouldnt be expected to act like a kid.

Agreed, he will mature. I mean is it really reasonable to think a kid just out of high school who is now a millionaire and one of the most talked about people in baseball is going to be humble. I know that I would probably be arrogant too:D But yes, once he makes it to the majors, he will see that maybe he isn't as incredible as he thought.

Vintagedeputy
08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Looks like a Posada bat.

LastingsMilledge85
08-27-2010, 12:50 AM
While I am about as far away from religious as you can get......

Luke 1:37 "For everything is possible with God"

Not exactly offensive.

Really???? I looked up Luke 1:37 and got this "Not even Jesus can save the Nationals"

:D

chakes89
08-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Really???? I looked up Luke 1:37 and got this "Not even Jesus can save the Nationals"

:D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Post of the Year!

allstarsplus
08-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Andrew, if you get a chance, can you post some pics from your visit today?

I got into see Bryce as the team did a lottery for 100 autographs. Did you hear what he did during Batting Practice? 3rd Deck of rightfield!!!!!!!!!!

I will post my pictures of Mark McGwire and Pujols later on another thread!

He signed for my son and daughter and my game ticket!

schubert1970
08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Andrew - Awsome pics and thanks for sharing.

I was looking at the bat he used for BP and it was a Marucci with his name instead of a Bible verse.

rj_lucas
08-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Did anyone else find it ironic that Harper had a ringside seat to watch Albert Pujols hit homerun #400, considering Pujols is 1) the best player of our generation (if not one of the best of all time) 2) a model of Christian faith and 3) a player drafted in the 13th round with absolutely no hype.

I wish all the best to young Mr. Harper, and encourage him to walk humbly with the Lord, while keeping in mind that just like living your faith, the game of baseball can be harder than it looks.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

panthrotc
08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
to the author of this thread, how much did you pay for the bible bat if you don't mind me asking..?

schubert1970
08-28-2010, 12:08 AM
to the author of this thread, how much did you pay for the bible bat if you don't mind me asking..?

I'm a bit embarassed to say what I paid, and I'm sure I would receive some negative comments from some forum members. It would just take away my enjoyment of having the bat if I told you how much.

I wrote Marucci Bats today to ask them how many of these bats were produced.

Bill

mariner_gamers
08-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow, I am soooooooo jealous!! That bat is awesome!! I do not buy game bats of players from teams other than the Mariners but I believe I am going to make my first exception in over a decade.

bigtime59
08-29-2010, 09:13 AM

From wherever he's currently in exile, Barry Bonds says "hi".

bigtime59
08-29-2010, 09:20 AM
If Harper had endorsed Verizon Wireless on the barrel of his bat, everyone here would be up in arms...and MLB would have banned the bat faster than you could say "product placement". That's what this message is: a product placement. Nothing more or less. What's next "Sarah Palin for President"?
A players bat should have his name, the team name and a model number. Maybe a jersey number like Miguel Cabrerra...but that's it. You want to sell something...be it a product, an ideology, whatever...do it on your own time.

Now...on to Pujols and LaRussa and the GlenBeckistan rally yesterday. :eek:

MiLe HigH
08-29-2010, 10:29 AM
If Harper had endorsed Verizon Wireless on the barrel of his bat, everyone here would be up in arms...and MLB would have banned the bat faster than you could say "product placement". That's what this message is: a product placement. Nothing more or less. What's next "Sarah Palin for President"?
A players bat should have his name, the team name and a model number. Maybe a jersey number like Miguel Cabrerra...but that's it. You want to sell something...be it a product, an ideology, whatever...do it on your own time.

+1

flota89
08-29-2010, 12:46 PM

He isn't endorsing anything. Maybe he just wants a little reminder when he goes to bat.

spartakid
08-29-2010, 01:36 PM
I think I disagree with you guys somewhat. I think that it the kid wants to put a Bible verse on the bat, who cares. Like flota said, I don't think he's using it to try and convert people. It's not really any different than when I believe it was Delmon Young, who used bats with "Cool Larry" written on them in honor of his father. It's appears to be the same principle. Both wish to pay respect, I'm guessing, to those whom they credit their success.

jgoldstein2000
08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
+2

IronPigs92
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
I think I disagree with you guys somewhat. I think that it the kid wants to put a Bible verse on the bat, who cares. Like flota said, I don't think he's using it to try and convert people. It's not really any different than when I believe it was Delmon Young, who used bats with "Cool Larry" written on them in honor of his father. It's appears to be the same principle. Both wish to pay respect, I'm guessing, to those whom they credit their success.

I agree, I think a player's bats are one of the most personal pieces of equipment they have. Before every at bat, they are always prepping it with tar, swinging it, etc. Some players even sit next to their bats on the bench. When Harper reads his bat, it could just remind him to stay focused and relaxed in that batter's box or something like that. He is not trying to convert anyone, most people don't even bother to read the barrel of a bat when looking at a picture of a player.