PDA

View Full Version : Thome Good buy or waste of money

lakeerie92
08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't collect Thome or game issued, but it came up on eBay and looked cheap so I bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140445201702&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_720wt_1137

Good buy?

Russell Wuerffel

Fnazxc0114
08-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Id think for 60 bones it was a great buy.

Rob L
08-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Nice and a great price. Congrats.

lakeerie92
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
As much as I would like to believe now that it was a great purchase and maybe it was a real game issues. It wasn't I discovered this which to me seems really bad for the game used community.

http://www.baseballsavings.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=5185&PROD_ID=713651&CID=MC&LNK=MC-SH&mr:referralID=e16995e9-b0cb-11df-b72b-001b2166c2c5

By the way if anybody wants a Thome one I have one coming I will sell for 59.95 plus $10 shipping

spartakid
08-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I think that there are still differences between the bats that they sell to the public (player models) and the ones that actually go to the players. Like I believe that store models have the 125 underlines on the centerband and pro models don't. Perhaps you can ask BMH on this one.

lakeerie92
08-25-2010, 11:51 PM
The one pictured in the eBay auction has no underline under the 125, but then again neither do the ones listed on the websites. I didn't do my homework before I jumped at the BIN. At least it is only $60. Could have been worse.

ryant7
08-26-2010, 08:20 AM
You may get with BMH and see if Thome ordered any no finish ash bats as the game used Thome i have is the walker? finish the head is black and the handle is natural also it is maple and has a custom tape job on the knob consistent with thome characteristics. why would Thome take the time to number the bat in the auction but not put his tape job on it ? Just wondering i would get with bmh for sure.

lakeerie92
08-26-2010, 09:42 AM
You may get with BMH and see if Thome ordered any no finish ash bats as the game used Thome i have is the walker? finish the head is black and the handle is natural also it is maple and has a custom tape job on the knob consistent with thome characteristics. why would Thome take the time to number the bat in the auction but not put his tape job on it ? Just wondering i would get with bmh for sure.

The bat isnt the problem, he used that style and model bat during the entire second half of the 2008 season. The problem is that they sell the game model bats retail.

tigerdale
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Id be curious to know the differences...scary if there isn't any...

ryant7
08-26-2010, 04:01 PM
1 difference could be the knob stampings i have a pedroia "game issued" that has all proper markings even the date on the knob and weight etc... however there is a giant 6 stamped in the knob kinda like how they did the bats before with a 4 for 34".... and i wasnt saying it might not be game issued i was just implying if Thome took the time to mark the knob and barrel end wouldnt he have went ahead and taped it up also ? i know on my bat the tape is on the knob so think you cant see the end anymore.

lakeerie92
08-26-2010, 04:23 PM
1 difference could be the knob stampings i have a pedroia "game issued" that has all proper markings even the date on the knob and weight etc... however there is a giant 6 stamped in the knob kinda like how they did the bats before with a 4 for 34".... and i wasnt saying it might not be game issued i was just implying if Thome took the time to mark the knob and barrel end wouldnt he have went ahead and taped it up also ? i know on my bat the tape is on the knob so think you cant see the end anymore.

Your right about the taping. I am fairly certain that it wasn't a game issue, just a retail model. It will be hard to say for sure until I get it, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

Neal
08-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I would bet there are obvious differences between those bats and MLB game issued bats.

Neal
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I had to check to see if there is any difference, so I called Louisville Slugger and asked them. Here is what the response was:

The game used bats will have a few different markings. First of all, on the knob of the consumer bats there will be a 1, 2, 3, or 4, which indicates the length of the bat (31-34”). On a bat Jeter has actually used it will have his exact Turning Model, which will be “J” then a particular number (such as J37). Also, around Jeter’s signature on the bat there will be a few different markings, instead of saying “Genuine P72” above his signature and “New York Yankees” below it, it will say something to the affect of “MLB Grade 1XX Timber

lakeerie92
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I had to check to see if there is any difference, so I called Louisville Slugger and asked them. Here is what the response was:

The game used bats will have a few different markings. First of all, on the knob of the consumer bats there will be a 1, 2, 3, or 4, which indicates the length of the bat (31-34”). On a bat Jeter has actually used it will have his exact Turning Model, which will be “J” then a particular number (such as J37). Also, around Jeter’s signature on the bat there will be a few different markings, instead of saying “Genuine P72” above his signature and “New York Yankees” below it, it will say something to the affect of “MLB Grade 1XX Timber

Based on that the one coming to me should be an authentic game issued, but I will wait until I get it to see.