Why did this BJ Upton GU Fielding Glove go so Cheap?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camarokids
    • Jun 2006

Why did this BJ Upton GU Fielding Glove go so Cheap?

According to the description the glove was used in 2008 and 2009. The glove looks new to me with no use. Sold for only $285.00! I did not bid.....

I could not find any close enough pics on getty except one that shows BJ using the same type of glove but with green embroidered stitching...

Click image for larger version

Name:	uptonglove1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	729336

Here is the auction link....

I cannot copy the images from ebay. Can anyone copy and post them here?
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

• LWMM
    • Jul 2006

Re: Why did this BJ Upton GU Fielding Glove go so Cheap?

Comment

• camarokids
      • Jun 2006

Thanks Luc!

I tried to copy page, but when I went to post them on GUU, it came up invalid format.
      Thank you,
      David

This is my email address here!
      dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
        • May 2009

My only guess would be (for lack of better word) "strength" of the COA. I got my glove for a decent price, may have been a little higher than the Upton glove and came with the worst and shoddy COA I have seen, but I photomatched it to several games over two seasons. Looking at this glove and photos of in-game action of Upton and I cannot prove that this glove was actually game worn. Maybe more people are doing their homework?

Comment

• CampWest
          • May 2008

blue stitching

sigpic
          Wes Campbell

Comment

• joelsabi
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by CampWest
            blue stitching
            very good finding the blue stitching. i thought it might be his backup glove. that glove was a steal.
            Regards,
            Joel S.
            joelsabi @ gmail.com
            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• CampWest
              • May 2008

Originally posted by joelsabi
              very good finding the blue stitching. i thought it might be his backup glove. that glove was a steal.
              FYI. All the pics I found with blue stitching were 2009... anything discernible from 2008 was teal/green.
              sigpic
              Wes Campbell

Comment

• spartakid
                • Oct 2008

Interesting. I saw that glove when it first started and I clicked on the link to the video and a comment, which had been posted five minutes before I clicked on the link said basically that the glove was purchased through eBay and then had use "added" to it. Not sure why someone would lie about that and post it as a comment on the youtube page. Now that comment is gone, but maybe some potential buyers saw that before it was deleted. That's the huge problem with gloves and why I changed my mind about buying them. Unless you have outstanding provenance, an issued glove can be purchased and have use added and you can't really tell the difference (no distinct characteristics usually).
                Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• CampWest
                  • May 2008

even better...

and note the untied thumb laces match the ebay glove, though that certainly doesnt prove much

sigpic
                  Wes Campbell

Comment

• CampWest
                    • May 2008

okay I'm done after this

sigpic
                    Wes Campbell

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by spartakid
                      Interesting. I saw that glove when it first started and I clicked on the link to the video and a comment, which had been posted five minutes before I clicked on the link said basically that the glove was purchased through eBay and then had use "added" to it. Not sure why someone would lie about that and post it as a comment on the youtube page. Now that comment is gone, but maybe some potential buyers saw that before it was deleted. That's the huge problem with gloves and why I changed my mind about buying them. Unless you have outstanding provenance, an issued glove can be purchased and have use added and you can't really tell the difference (no distinct characteristics usually).
                      I agree. IMO, I would not even look at a Fielding Glove listing of the Upton brothers unless it came from Locker Room Memorabilia. They are supposed to be the exclusive client of LRM and they have never offered a GU fielding glove for either player. I find it odd that its not LRM selling the glove. Maybe a bat or a batting glove gets thru but a fielding glove? I need really good provenance to take that leap that it was GU, preferably a COA signed by the players himself.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com
                      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• LWMM
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
                        I agree. IMO, I would not even look at a Fielding Glove listing of the Upton brothers unless it came from Locker Room Memorabilia. They are supposed to be the exclusive client of LRM and they have never offered a GU fielding glove for either player. I find it odd that its not LRM selling the glove. Maybe a bat or a batting glove gets thru but a fielding glove? I need really good provenance to take that leap that it was GU, preferably a COA signed by the players himself.
                        I wouldn't call that a smoking gun. I have a 2005 Mizuno glove of Gomes, which was either his backup or used late season. His other 2005 glove went through Locker Room Memorabilia, and, while I'm not sure of the provenance of mine, it is stylematched and perfectly fits in with Mizuno's records. It's entirely possible that the Upton glove in question was given to a friend, relative etc., who eventually turned around and sold it.

Comment

• CampWest
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by LWMM
                          perfectly fits in with Mizuno's records.
                          Is there a way to get Mizuno's player order records?
                          sigpic
                          Wes Campbell

Comment

• Rob L
                            • Nov 2005

Look at the right thumbstrap. Near the top, there appears to be a scratch or thread that looks similar to the thumbstrap on the photo of the glove on his head. Interesting.
                            Rob L
                            loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by LWMM
                              I wouldn't call that a smoking gun. I have a 2005 Mizuno glove of Gomes, which was either his backup or used late season. His other 2005 glove went through Locker Room Memorabilia, and, while I'm not sure of the provenance of mine, it is stylematched and perfectly fits in with Mizuno's records. It's entirely possible that the Upton glove in question was given to a friend, relative etc., who eventually turned around and sold it.
                              LWMM, does your glove of Gomes have the area code 707 on it? I read that Gomes puts his area code on his cleats and gloves.

Here's my glove that I photomatched as an example. It comes with a letter of opinion that doesn't sound convincing but these photos are convincing for me. The wear and "curled" string match. It states the gloves is from 2007, but the second in-game picture is from 2006, and I believe this is the only model of that glove that he wore as a Met. There's pictures of him with other gloves during his Mets tenure, but they are not the same model and I'm not sure if those other saw much game action (mainly used during ST and BP).

Comment

Working...