PDA

View Full Version : Mears Auction Paul coffman

ksuchad
08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Is this jersey legit? Thanks.

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=14986&searchby=3&searchvalue=paul%20coffman&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

trsent
08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Is this jersey legit? Thanks.

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=14986&searchby=3&searchvalue=paul%20coffman&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

MEARS gives this jersey their highest grade possible - A10

I would bet if they give such a jersey such a high grade they feel it is legitimate.

helmets
08-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I would bet if they give such a jersey such a high grade they feel it is legitimate.

Or perhaps they own it...

gwh11
08-27-2010, 06:15 PM
In my opinion, there are a few inconsistencies with this jersey. The font is a bit different from what you would expect on a Packers jersey from this era. Compare the numeral "2" on the jersey Coffman is wearing in the picture below, for example. Also, I would expect a mesh nameplate on a 1985 jersey, not a "dazzle-cloth" one (perhaps it's been replaced? I haven't seen the full worksheet for this.). Also, the size is 44. Does it truly measure out to a 44? Coffman was listed as 6'3'', 225 pounds at the time. I would expect a larger size.

You may ask Troy some questions if you have them. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any further questions. Feel free to pass along my opinion if you like. Again, he might have more info on this than meets my eye.
-Guy

ksuchad
08-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for everyones help. I to thought the 2 didn't look right. I like to hear other opinions. I don't have the experience yet to be confident in what i am seeing. I have emailed them with my concerns.

trsent
08-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Or perhaps they own it...

Don't they disclose if they own the item somewhere? Not that it matters, if they gave it the grade of A10, they stand behind it.

I believe Dave Grob, their director/dictator has a policy that if a MEARS employee/owner has an item on consignment in their auction or for sale site, they disclose such ownership somewhere.

Hay Dave, can I have my gratis access to the database back that you took away many moons ago? You know, the access that my friend of almost twenty years gave me and you took away because I helped a former employee determine a jersey was being sold on eBay as a MEARS Authenticated Game Used Jersey when it was a MEARS Authenticated "Not Genuine" Jersey? Remember that? Oh yeah, that was the same week you were doing some housekeeping, by chance.

tilley72
08-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Don't they disclose if they own the item somewhere?

It is MEARS policy, at least in the past, to put "Collection of MEARS Staff" in the title if the item is owned by MEARS or a MEARS employee.

tilley72
08-28-2010, 01:33 PM
It is MEARS policy, at least in the past, to put "Collection of MEARS Staff" in the DESCRIPTION if the item is owned by MEARS or a MEARS employee.

Little error, just a quick fix.