PDA

View Full Version : Yank's Nunez 1st Homer Ball Exchanged by fan

zooat2
08-29-2010, 09:01 AM
- Not a bad deal at all

from nypost.com

The customer who caught Eduardo Nunez's first career homer in the left field seats had a reasonable request for the return of the ball: A signed ball by Nunez and another signed by Derek Jeter. Each player obliged and Nunez was given the ball following the victory, in which he drove in four runs

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/bruised_hand_may_keep_tex_on_bench_fDHEY9IrflSYQos C1M1hJK#ixzz0y0GyXaJ6

legaleagle92481
08-29-2010, 10:01 AM
- Not a bad deal at all

from nypost.com

The customer who caught Eduardo Nunez's first career homer in the left field seats had a reasonable request for the return of the ball: A signed ball by Nunez and another signed by Derek Jeter. Each player obliged and Nunez was given the ball following the victory, in which he drove in four runs

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/bruised_hand_may_keep_tex_on_bench_fDHEY9IrflSYQos C1M1hJK#ixzz0y0GyXaJ6

Yeah fair for all sides. Nunez has been a nice story. To keep it would have been wrong since who knows how long the kid will be in the majors once Arod comes back it could end up being his first and only. Pena can't hit but he is better defensively so they'll probably demote Nunez. And he barring injury is blocked for the next several years and he is not someone teams are lining up to trade for. Good to see the fan do the right thing.

tkd7
08-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm surprised that the team doesn't send a rep out in the stands with a team signed ball. I'd imagine there are lots of them around the clubhouse.

sox83cubs84
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Looks like the scenario ended well for all...at least this wasn't on the other side of Chicago, where some drunken frat boy ends up throwing it back.

Dave Miedema

AWA85
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Another one came in the Reds game the other day. I just copied and pasted from 1530 Homer Blog, hopefully it is clean.

Tonight, Chris Valaika's first Major League Homer landed right next to me. It actually hit my wife's seat. Fortunately for her, she was not sitting in it, as about 60 seconds prior, she had left to pee. Had she been in the seat, the ball might have ripped off her face. The ball hit the seat, landed to my left, so I reached down and picked it up.

My first inclination was to text my wife to commend her on her timing, and finish the tweet I was working on as Valakia went deep (I was tweeting about Jay Bruce showing how he 32s. I know, lame). It really didn't occur to me that it was his first big league homer until a man in a yellow shirt approached me and asked me to go with him. My initial reaction: "they kick you out if you pick a homer?" Not the case. The man explained that since it was Valaika's first homer, they wanted to get him the ball, and they'd be willing to offer something in return. Since this likely did not include a spot on the roster, I decided to simply hand the man the ball.

When I hit my first beer league softball homer, I want the ball, and I don't want whomever catches that towering drive to hold it hostage, so I figured Chris would feel the same way. That ball belongs to Chris, not some dude in section 102.

The Reds, for their part, did something very nice, very cool, very unnecessary, and very appreciated. They sent up an authentic Civil Rights Game jersey from the clubhouse. A first class move by the team that resulted in me clearly getting the better end of the deal.

ballhawknet
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
- Not a bad deal at all

from nypost.com

Some might find it "rude, classless and tasteless" to ask for anything from another player . ;)

sox83cubs84
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Some might find it "rude, classless and tasteless" to ask for anything from another player . ;)

I tend to agree with the above quote, but there have been, and will be occasions where someone else's gear will be what the team offers. When 1990s Cubs OF Ozzie Timmons hit his first MLB HR (a Waveland Ave. shot),
there were only 2 guys on Waveland, both of whom could, at best, be called part-timers. No regulars of the era were out there, and I was in the old Family Section. The guy who got it was given a Mark Grace bat by a team rep.

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Sometimes, though, the "other guy's" stuff works against you, too. In 1992, Greg Maddux hit his 2nd career HR onto Waveland Ave., in the direction of Ballhawk veteran Andy Mielke, on of the best hawks out there in the 1990s, and yours truly, in my first full season of shagging. I mistimed my leap on the high bounce off the street the ball took, and Mielke corraled it. Team reps came out, as Maddux apparently wanted this home run ball. Andy willingly joined them, but never got close to Maddux or even any of his stuff. He came out about 2 innings later with his "reward"...a cracked Dwight Smith bat!:p He heard from us abouth THAT one for a while afterwards.

Dave Miedema