PDA

View Full Version : Possible Posada? I Got Another Good One... Let Me Know!

yankees506
08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok guys i try to keep things interesting so here it goes, i picked up this bat a few weeks back without ever seeing it. I called steiner after a recent purchase and was offered a few bats for cheap so i took the lot. When i got them, they where nothing special except for this bat, first thing i noticed is the "posada" on the knob when i opened the box but i just thought it was a bat they sent him, then the tape and i thought oh my word and then the heavy cleat marks on the barrell, a classic posada staple. However there is not the usual posada tar on the bat and ive never ever seen him use an ssk bat. So here are my questions: 1. Is it a posada? 2. Could it have been used in a game? or can we even say its a bp bat (i just think that durring bp posada wont have time to be banging the dirt off his cleats with the bat). As i always say feel free to comment, i really need some opinions on the bat, thanks!

chakes89
08-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Random question but how long is that bat?

It looks really long from the first picture

yankees506
08-30-2010, 10:59 PM
33 inch bat, i think.... its the same length of my other posadas

suave1477
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I would defintiely say it is a Posada used bat based on the characteristics in the pic.

As far as when he used it can be at any time maybe BP maybe during a regular game.

As far as kicking off dirt im not sure why he wouldn't have enough time to do that?

But as far as the pine tar it looks like there is some on there and it also looks like there is a crack in the bat so chances are he probably didnt use it long enough to build up pine tar on it.

yankees506
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
The cleat marks tell me that if posada did use this bat he had it for a while, but no thick tar in the middle seems weird

suave1477
08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Well I am not sure you can cleanly define how long he had a bat because of cleat marks. Cleat marks just mean he was trying to knock dirt off.

yankees506
09-01-2010, 10:54 AM
anyone else care to help me out on this one?

LastingsMilledge85
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
My guess would be that it's either a bp bat or the bat was used by someone other than Posada. Also, I came across this image that may help, but it doesn't show the brand of the bat.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/85898220.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5482D18846A2139FFD2 40BA0C0C7507895DEC3C67F34034A112

suave1477
09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
My guess would be that it's either a bp bat or the bat was used by someone other than Posada. Also, I came across this image that may help, but it doesn't show the brand of the bat.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/85898220.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5482D18846A2139FFD2 40BA0C0C7507895DEC3C67F34034A112

Why would you think it was used in BP or by another player?

yankees506
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Lastings the picture is not coming up on this side, ill second suave in asking what makes you think another player used it? the tape and the cleat marks seem to be typical posada

suave1477
09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Everything about the bat is typical Posada that's why I can't see it pointing to a direction of another player

LastingsMilledge85
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I can't find anything in game of Posada using a SSK bat. Plus, the bat isn't covered in tar so that started to make me think the possibility of someone else using it. Maybe Jorge taped it up and then never used it, and let someone else use it. I don't know, that's just a possibility I would consider. Just because it's marked up with cleat marks like that doesn't mean Jorge definitely used it. He could, but it's nowhere near definite. And, if no one else actually used it...then I don't think the bat ever saw game action. That's just what I would think, but hey that's me and I could certainly be wrong. Unless any of use work in the Yankees clubhouse, there really is no one here that is certain about the history of this bat.

CollectGU
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I can't find anything in game of Posada using a SSK bat. Plus, the bat isn't covered in tar so that started to make me think the possibility of someone else using it. Maybe Jorge taped it up and then never used it, and let someone else use it. I don't know, that's just a possibility I would consider. Just because it's marked up with cleat marks like that doesn't mean Jorge definitely used it. He could, but it's nowhere near definite. And, if no one else actually used it...then I don't think the bat ever saw game action. That's just what I would think, but hey that's me and I could certainly be wrong. Unless any of use work in the Yankees clubhouse, there really is no one here that is certain about the history of this bat.

So you made an assessment that the bat never saw game action because you couldn't find a getty image of him using one even though it has typical Posada' characteristics, tape job and excessive cleat marks...? Are you serious....?

Dave

suave1477
09-02-2010, 10:08 AM

You mentioned the bat isn't covered in tar. But there is pine tar on it. The bat is also cracked.

LastingsMilledge85
09-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not making an assessment just because I couldn't find an image of him using it. As I said, I never recall him using one or seeing anything about it in recent history. Sure the bat is used, but maybe not by him. Is it really that big of a deal that I don' think Posada used it in game? Also there is tar on the bat, but Posada is notorious for having the handle covered with tar along with the neck of the bat, on this bat it doesn't look like those sections are entirely covered in tar judging by the photos.

suave1477
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm not making an assessment just because I couldn't find an image of him using it. As I said, I never recall him using one or seeing anything about it in recent history. Sure the bat is used, but maybe not by him. Is it really that big of a deal that I don' think Posada used it in game? Also there is tar on the bat, but Posada is notorious for having the handle covered with tar along with the neck of the bat, on this bat it doesn't look like those sections are entirely covered in tar judging by the photos.

Well yes it is a big deal if you dont think POSADA used it because there may be something we are missing and I for one would be interested in who else may have used a POSADA bat since this is not the usual company he uses. Especially lately within the last year or 2 he has been trying new bat companies.

Also your judging by the Pine Tar. I am just trying to understand the thought process behind that since the bat is cracked. Do you think he would continue to put pine tar on a bat after it cracked?

LastingsMilledge85
09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I did see Posada use a Marucci two-toned bat during bp, but never during a game (maybe he did), but if you look at the picture provided that could be a SSK bat or another brand that he is trying out. Is it possible that he used it during bp and then someone used it during a game? Also I guess it's possible that he used the bat during bp and as he was walking around just kicked it here and there creating those marks? Sounds ridiculous, but all things must be considered, right?

Masimen
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Here are my 2 cents. Posada has been known to use black Marucci's in BP the last few years and almost exclusively used blonde Maruccis in games for the first half of this season, it seem he is back to LVS at the moment. Last season he mixed in Mizunos in game action as well. So he has been mixing it up more in recent years that he used to. The lack of tar on the upper handle would be a bit of a red flag to me, but by no means would I say that there was no way it was used by him.

nycpropain
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Why didnt steiner ID the bat as game used or hell even posadas? steiner is now just selling undocumented game used items now out the back door?

suave1477
09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Ok here is what I don't understand it seems everyone is really stuck on the whole pine tar thing!!!!:rolleyes:

I am sorry I don't get it.

It takes time to put pine tar on a bat. You do not pour a bucket of pine tar on a bat before your first at bat. Posadas bats build up pine tar on a bat over time because he constantly keeps applying pine tar.

THERE IS A CRACK IN THE BAT!!!

Which means he probably used the bat a couple of times, the bat cracked, hence not having the chance to add more pine tar to the bat.

If the bat was absolutely clean then yes I can understand that maybe it was used by someone else or perhaps not even at all.

But the bat shows light use except for the fact of the cleat marks which are heavy which is a common Posada Characteristic. It shows light pine tar and a crack.
All these these lead to it exactly being used by Posada whether it was in BP or a Regular game I do not know.

Now as far as the heavy cleat marks. That is pretty common for any Posada bat. If it was rainy previous to the bp/game or damp out it will cause the dirt to stick to the cleats like mud. Hence Posada to bang cleats several times between at bat to knock off the dirt. Whether it was for BP or a Regular game.

LastingsMilledge85
09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
What year is the bat from?

Also, just because it has a crack doesn't necessarily mean that Posada used it and it was used during a game? How do we not know that Joba Chamberlain borrowed it during BP to take some cuts and ends up cracking it? Of course I'm not saying that happened, but since the authentication is bleak, there is no way of really knowing the history of the bat.

yankees506
09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
LOA reads 2008 yankees game used bat

Masimen
09-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Why didnt steiner ID the bat as game used or hell even posadas? steiner is now just selling undocumented game used items now out the back door?

I have a Posada 09 Mizuno that is just ID'd by the Steiner Cert as a Game used Yankee bat and no mention of any player. It is obviously a Posada gamer as it has, the tape, the tar, NY20 stamped in the Knob and I have photo matched it to at least 3 different at bats, but his name is not on the barrel, so I guess they just play it safe and/or don't put the time in to ID the bat to the player when there is no name on the barrel.

suave1477
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
What year is the bat from?

Also, just because it has a crack doesn't necessarily mean that Posada used it and it was used during a game? How do we not know that Joba Chamberlain borrowed it during BP to take some cuts and ends up cracking it? Of course I'm not saying that happened, but since the authentication is bleak, there is no way of really knowing the history of the bat.

I am not saying the crack signifies Posada used it. I am saying it would explain why there is little pine tar on it. Since people keep emphasizing so much on the pine tar. A player will not keep adding pine tar onto a bat after it is cracked unless maybe he is bored. lol:rolleyes:

spartanservitto
09-03-2010, 11:58 AM
My two cents.

I think the characteristics are consistent with Posada. I also think the no name on the Mizuno that was photomatched, possibly illustrates it was a test bat also. I am pretty sure it is Posadas.

However, you are never going to know whether or not it was specifically a gamer or a bp bat. But I think it was definitely Jorge's. Like anything else that isnt photomatched, go off of characteristics. It's definitely worth a lot more then you paid, guarantee.

-Tony