X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lokee
    Banned
    • May 2008

Abdul-Jabbar Slams Upper Deck Card Company

In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ ... Kareem claims The Upper Deck Company plastered 6 Kareem pics from his days as a UCLA Bruin on its "Greats of the Game" series.

Kareem ... who is the NBA's all-time leading scorer with 38,387 points ... claims Upper Deck had the audacity to market the cards after he turned them down flat.

The lawsuit, filed by legal pit bull Marty Singer, notes that when Kareem left the NBA, he blocked more shots, won more Most Valuable Player awards, played in more All-Star Games and logged more seasons than any other player. Shockingly, Singer makes no mention of Kareem's epic performance in the greatest movie of all time -- "Airplane!"

The lawsuit seeks more than $1 million in damages.
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Abdul-Jabbar Slams Upper Deck Card Company

Originally posted by Lokee
    In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ ... Kareem claims The Upper Deck Company plastered 6 Kareem pics from his days as a UCLA Bruin on its "Greats of the Game" series.

Kareem ... who is the NBA's all-time leading scorer with 38,387 points ... claims Upper Deck had the audacity to market the cards after he turned them down flat.

The lawsuit, filed by legal pit bull Marty Singer, notes that when Kareem left the NBA, he blocked more shots, won more Most Valuable Player awards, played in more All-Star Games and logged more seasons than any other player. Shockingly, Singer makes no mention of Kareem's epic performance in the greatest movie of all time -- "Airplane!"

The lawsuit seeks more than $1 million in damages.
    What year were these cards produced?

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by trsent
      What year were these cards produced?
      2010?

But why would there be an autograph card in the set if Kareem turned UD down?

Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• WadeInBmore
        • Sep 2007

I would argue that his performance in Conan the Destroyer, opposite Arnold, outshines AIRPLANE!

wade

Comment

• kylehess10
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
          2010?

But why would there be an autograph card in the set if Kareem turned UD down?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KAREEM-ABDUL-JAB...item27b49302af

It could be one of those sticker autographs
          kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
          http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• joelsabi
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by WadeInBmore
            I would argue that his performance in Conan the Destroyer, opposite Arnold, outshines AIRPLANE!

wade
            I would argue that his performance in Enter the Dragon, opposite Bruce Lee, outshines Conan the Destroyer!

Regards,
            Joel S.
            joelsabi @ gmail.com
            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by WadeInBmore

wade
              That would be Wilt...

Comment

• Dewey2007
                • Dec 2007

I would argue that his performance in Enter the Dragon, opposite Bruce Lee, outshines Conan the Destroyer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSoX6qB9N0
                Kareem appeared in "Game of Death" opposite Bruce Lee.
                sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Dewey2007
                  Kareem appeared in "Game of Death" opposite Bruce Lee.
                  my bad. i searched enter the dragon kareem on youtube and got that video, but now i see the caption says game of death. anyways, here's where tarantino got his idea for uma thurman's outfit for killbill.
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Dewey2007
                    • Dec 2007

my bad. i searched enter the dragon kareem on youtube and got that video, but now i see the caption says game of death. anyways, here's where tarantino got his idea for uma thurman's outfit for killbill.
                    No biggie! What's really bothersome (to me at least) is I've seen UCLA throwback jerseys with Abdul-Jabbar on the back. If you're going to make a throwback at least try to be historically correct and use Alcindor even though that's not his name anymore.

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

No biggie! What's really bothersome (to me at least) is I've seen UCLA throwback jerseys with Abdul-Jabbar on the back. If you're going to make a throwback at least try to be historically correct and use Alcindor even though that's not his name anymore.
                      Well it make a difference if you are looking at the bargain bins at best buys and come across it.

Did they even have name on the Jersey back then. I doubt it. I hate throwbacks of Ruth and Clemente for that reason. I like jersey that have that same look as back in the days. Historically correct. Not.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

would this be bothersome?
                        Attached Files
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Dewey2007
                          • Dec 2007

would this be bothersome?
                          Yeah just because the Yankees don't use names. Now if your last name was Rodriguez that's a whole different story! Anyhow, you are correct. UCLA didn't have names on their jerseys back in the late 1960s.

I guess the company's who make these throwback jerseys figure the names on the back of these classic jerseys have to distinguish them from the other #3, #21 or #33 who might have wore them too.

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Yeah just because the Yankees don't use names. Now if your last name was Rodriguez that's a whole different story! Anyhow, you are correct. UCLA didn't have names on their jerseys back in the late 1960s.

I guess the company's who make these throwback jerseys figure the names on the back of these classic jerseys have to distinguish them from the other #3, #21 or #33 who might have wore them too.
                            but as you know, a pinstripe 3 is only ruth, a pirates uniform with 21 is only clemente, ucla basketball jersey with 33 is only lew alcinder. i guess its all in the marketing to the casual fans. personally i like the subtlety of the jerseys with no nameplates.
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                              • Nov 2005

Kareem and Bruce Lee on the set of "Game of Death".

Was Bruce shopping a shoe deal? I could have sworn he was rockin' Adidas in the the Youtube video of the same movie. Asics Tiger?

Comment

Working...