PDA

View Full Version : Signing Session Items. Are these collectible?

joelsabi
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Just curious if you feel that items used during an autograph sessions by a famous athlete are collectibles.

Are signing utensil like a pen or sharpee from an autograph session a collectible? I have seen a sharpee used by Miguel Cabrera and its MLB authenticated too.

Are water bottle from a signing session a collectible? I have seen someone try to sell a bottle of wattle used by Derek Jeter with a photo of Jeter drinking from the bottle as proof.

Or maybe its just questioning it desirability.

I can see maybe a name tag or a name placement sign on a table as something kinda cool.

Any ways does anyone have anything similar in their collection?

Dach0sen0ne
08-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Just curious if you feel that items used during an autograph sessions by a famous athlete are collectibles.

Are signing utensil like a pen or sharpee from an autograph session a collectible? I have seen a sharpee used by Miguel Cabrera and its MLB authenticated too.

Are water bottle from a signing session a collectible? I have seen someone try to sell a bottle of wattle used by Derek Jeter with a photo of Jeter drinking from the bottle as proof.

Or maybe its just questioning it desirability.

I can see maybe a name tag or a name placement sign on a table as something kinda cool.

Any ways does anyone have anything similar in their collection?

I'm watching that Cabrera auction, I'm curious to see if anyone picks it up and at what cost. Its very silly, but I'm sure someone will want it. $14 for shipping might be a deal breaker.

joelsabi
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm watching that Cabrera auction, I'm curious to see if anyone picks it up and at what cost. Its very silly, but I'm sure someone will want it. $14 for shipping might be a deal breaker.

yes thats the item that gave me the idea for the post but im not questioning its authenticity but its collectability. so i posed the above question. Does an item have added value because a famous athlete used it during a signing session at a show.

Dach0sen0ne
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
yes thats the item that gave me the idea for the post but im not questioning its authenticity but its collectability. so i posed the above question. Does an item have added value because a famous athlete used it during a signing session at a show.

The only way I can see an item like that having added value is maybe if he used it to sign his Tigers contract. After a certain point you have to draw the line, is someone going to follow these guys and sell everyhting they "touch".

BULBUS
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
I have zero interest. A bat or jersey is a part of history of the game. A pen from a signing, a water bottle, abc gum, is worthless to me.

-Chris

joelsabi
08-31-2010, 02:29 PM
I have zero interest. A bat or jersey is a part of history of the game. A pen from a signing, a water bottle, abc gum, is worthless to me.

-Chris

Would anyone be interested in the sharpee that Terrell Owens used once to sign a football after touchdown?

BULBUS
08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Would anyone be interested in the sharpee that Terrell Owens used once to sign a football after touchdown?

Naaa, what TO did has no part in the game.

Although......the sharpee I am currently using is running a little dry.....so maybe I do need a new one :p

yankees506
08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
I once saw an mlb authenticated sharpie from a locker room mem signing of curtis granderson, i considered buying it to display with an autographed jersey i have but then reality kicked my a$$ and told me that this was overdoing it- i mean it would have been cool if my jersey was from the signing but it was not. To your question i would say no. But as the saying goes "to each his own"

cliffjmp33
08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
I remember last year the Sixers auctioned off the pen AI used when he signed his contract to come back to the Sixers. Something like that is kinda hokey in my eye, but I understand that being "historic". Same goes for a World Series champagne bottle.

As for the Jeter water bottle. Just too much for me. I know there is always a market for something, but when it comes to recyclable/garbage, I think people need to really take a step back before opening their wallet.

lakeerie92
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
If there are people out there that have bought ARod jock straps and Derek Jeter socks, then there is definitely someone out there who will collect those items too. Autographed baseballs aren't part of the game and they are collected, anything to get close to the player for some people I guess.

Klattsy
09-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Funny you mention the pens..the weirdest item in my collection is a Gatorade cup that an Australian Rugby League player called Benji Marshall (http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=428) drunk out of during a trial game I went to. As he was running out to the field, he threw it on the ground and I joked to my wife, "we should grab that"...so she did!!! I have been tossing up weather to throw it out but it's got such a funny provenance that I can't bare to do it!

Mark.

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 02:56 AM
If it were a pen the president used to sign a bill, it would be a cool thing to have. The pen for the contract seems cool, but a sharpie used to sign autos, seems like a stretch. I thought the hobbie had reached a low when jocks, and shower shoes being sold, so a sharpie realy doesnt surprise me too much.