PDA

View Full Version : Let me see you Votto Stuff

oakesc8855
09-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Big Votto fan, just looking to see what everyone has....any good stories about encounters with Votto? Thanks

Anyone selling any Votto stuff shoot me an email cody8_33@hotmail.com

AWA85
09-01-2010, 08:42 AM
The bottom bat in the picture is my only Votto game used item. As for experience, the guy will come over and sign all the time but does not really get into deep conversation. My experiences have only been inside the ballpark, so it's understandable.

Dave4Reds
09-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I met Votto at a signing at Cardboard Heroes. I was there before the signing talking to a guy at the counter and no one else was in the store at the time. Suddenly someone walks up behind me and says to the other guy in a low voice..."Hi, I'm Joey Votto and I'm here to sign some stuff". I thought it was a joke at first until I turned around and saw him. I remained "composed" and said hello and told him my two sons voted about 300 times for him in the supplemental All-Star vote. He looked me in the eye very seriously and said "please tell them I said thank you...really I mean it, please tell them I said thanks". He's clearly not the outgoing type, but he is very sincere and polite. He was great with the kids getting autographs, but he didn't look comfortable getting so much attention. I asked him to personalize the picture he was signing to my 8 year old son. He wrote "To Ryan, from your Buddy, Joey Votto". He's quickly become my favorite player for both on the field and off the field exploits.

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 11:19 AM
There was a good article about him in the recent SI. He seems like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders.

BMH
09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I met Votto at a signing at Cardboard Heroes. I was there before the signing talking to a guy at the counter and no one else was in the store at the time. Suddenly someone walks up behind me and says to the other guy in a low voice..."Hi, I'm Joey Votto and I'm here to sign some stuff". I thought it was a joke at first until I turned around and saw him. I remained "composed" and said hello and told him my two sons voted about 300 times for him in the supplemental All-Star vote. He looked me in the eye very seriously and said "please tell them I said thank you...really I mean it, please tell them I said thanks". He's clearly not the outgoing type, but he is very sincere and polite. He was great with the kids getting autographs, but he didn't look comfortable getting so much attention. I asked him to personalize the picture he was signing to my 8 year old son. He wrote "To Ryan, from your Buddy, Joey Votto". He's quickly become my favorite player for both on the field and off the field exploits.

LOL, you hit the nail on the head. When I first met him in the clubhouse I made a joke about changing his bats and I thought the man was going to freak out. He is a very serious person, but he does lighten up around people he knows. Chuck has been trying to get him into a contract but Joey doesn't like the idea of signing for ten years. He texted Chuck back, "I don't mind us dating, but I don't want to marry you" :D

rdeversole
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I've got 3 of his Louisville Slugger M356 bats, 2 from this year and 1 from last. 1 is an MLB authenticated HR bat and I believe the other 2 are also HR bats. Will post pics, but all 3 are in different places right now.

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Thats funny bmh. If i wasnt a team collector he'd be one of the guys id definately ad to my collection.

oakesc8855
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Havent read the story in SI yet but I'm excited to...heres a link to a great story about Votto when he was going through some of his stress problems

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/washington-twp-residents-helped-votto-on-his-road-back-190494.html

I have had a few short interactions with him he was really quiet and polite... I just hope that his lack of "superstar personality" dosent cost him MVP votes this year. Also I think its refreshing to see a top 10 player in the league that isnt a "show me" type of player that is all about himself. Everytime he is interview he tries to take the attention off of himself and put it on the team in a positive way.

jshortt
09-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Haven't had time to take pics, but here's what I have:

2007 Louisville Bats B.P. jersey
2007 Louisville Bats Alt. black jersey
2009 Reds B.P. jersey
2009 Reds Turn Back the Clock full uniform
2010 All Star B.P. jersey
2006-07 LVS blonde minor league bat w/label peeled off
2008 LVS inscribed "game used 08" with his rookie stats
2009 LVS 125th Ann'y bat
2010 LVS home run bat
2007 Nike spikes from his first call-up with the Reds
2009 fielding glove
2010 batting helmet
2010 Franklin batting gloves (2 pairs, both given to me by Joey)

-Josh

SaintsGeaux
09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
ESPN did a really nice segment on Joey Votto. I like hoe he knows the history of the game and is a guy that doesnt crave the limelight.

justinbittner220
09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
jshortt,
can you email me a pic or two of your 2007 minor league bat?
justinbittner220@hotmail.com

murfsteve25
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Before Votto's first season with Dayton, I saw on the local news a small story about him and another player. It was just basically how they were top draft picks and they'll be with Dayton that year. I made it a goal to get his autograph that year. My parents and I went to opening day and after the game, during the post game fireworks, i went to the dugout to see if i could get him to sign my ball. By the time got got down there, players were starting to walk to the clubhouse, but I maaged to get Votto's attention and get his sig. I remembered about how I looked him up online and found out he attended a specific baseball showcase (called Perfect Game USA) while he was in high school. A lot of the top draft picks went through that showcase, so i asked him about it. We had a conversation about what it takes to be a professional player and he told me "it's gotta be everyday...it's ok to take a day off every once in a while but you gotta play everyday". I thanked him for the autograph and he asked if i was going to come to anymore games. I told him I would try to make it to another game soon.

The next week my friend and I went back to another game and I talked to Joey before hand. He remembered me and asked how i was doing. Thats basically how it went for the whole season. I've never been to so many Dragons games in a season before, but I went because I thought it was cool to be able to talk to him and have normal conversations. One day after a game, Votto was the guest signer in the Dragons gift shop. It was a long line but I waited in it anyway to have him sign a picture that I took of him. When I finally made it to the table, he looked up and me and but his pen down. He reached his hand out to shake my hand and asked how I was. I handed him my picture and he asked if it was ok if he wrote something on it. Of course I said yea. It took him a long time to write on the picture but when I finally got it back I thanked him and left. As i was walking out of the shop I look at the picture to read what he wrote and it said" Hey Steve, I'm glad that you say hi to me everytime I see you. Good luck in baseball. Your friend, Joey Votto" I thought that was pretty awesome, especially since I didnt even ask him to personalize it, he did it on his own. Next time i saw him, he told me that he had some extra batting gloves in his locker, and i could have them if i wanted. I said sure. I didnt get a chance to see him after the game, and he got demoted to Sarasota before I had a chance to catch another game.