PDA

View Full Version : OT North Carolina? Near SC border? HELP!

gingi79
09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi friends,

So out of the blue, I was offered a life changing opportunity to move from NY to Red Springs/Fayetteville North Carolina.

So who lives near here, has visited near here, has an opinion on the area? I have lived on LI basically my entire life and know NOTHING about this region. Who can help me decide on what town to live in, stay away from, etc?

Post here, PM me or email me at GinGi79@aol.com

Thanks!

eisenreich8
09-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Gingi, Hope you trust me brother.

They call it Fayettenam for a reason.

Become a member of www.city-data.com. Navigate through the various tools to narrow it down to NC and then Fayetteville. PM me, or email me at 04redsox@bellsouth.net.

I can steer you to a nearby alternative, but you are infinitely living larger in LI than you ever would IN Fayetteville. Trust me. I am here to help.

Joe

eisenreich8
09-01-2010, 11:06 PM
When you go to the city-data home page, click on the blue jagged-edged disk at the top with "forum"in it....that will lead you to discussion about F'ville. Use the search function. Contact me if desired...Joe

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 11:22 PM
You could always hang out at on the border. Pretty hoaky place. Or, was it south of the border?

both-teams-played-hard
09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I was born and raised in the area, moved to FL, then moved back to Eastern NC for college. You are in for a culture shock and may become bored. Raleigh is a bit hipper, but is a haul from Fayettenam. Don't tell the locals how you do it up north. Great place to raise a family...

earlywynnfan
09-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi friends,

So out of the blue, I was offered a life changing opportunity to move from NY to Red Springs/Fayetteville North Carolina.

So who lives near here, has visited near here, has an opinion on the area? I have lived on LI basically my entire life and know NOTHING about this region. Who can help me decide on what town to live in, stay away from, etc?

Post here, PM me or email me at GinGi79@aol.com

Thanks!

Aren't you a teacher? I've heard that there's a reason there are teaching jobs available there and nowhere else. Low pay, not much union strength, not many resources. I teach with a guy whose girlfriend went down there for a job. She's not thrilled, but she's sticking it out.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

gingi79
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Yes Ken, I am a teacher.

The economy has forced me to look elsewhere as I am not currently the son of any School Superintendents and only they seem to be offered Full Time teaching jobs right now, everywhere in the country.

After speaking with a few people who live in or around the area, my wife and I will be visiting a few apartments in Aberdeen.

I want to thank the many board members who emailed and replied to this post. It's nice to see strangers and online friends looking out for a fellow collector and saving me the misfortune that might have been Fayetteville.

tom1315
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello Ken! I am a native of North Carolina and have lived in various communities in North Carolina via my banking career. Home currently is Raleigh which is too far from Red Springs to commute. If you are looking in Aberdeen consider the adjacent communities of Southern Pines and Pinehurst.

Another option maybe Laurinburg in Scotland County - great place to live and raise a family - i lived there 10 years before moving due to career options. One thing you will like instantly is cost of living should be better here than your current situation. This would not be true of Pinehurst yet would be for Laurinburg, Aberdeen and Southern Pines.

Good luck in your options and new position.

Tom

Go Pack - NC State grad 1981

justinwc80
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I grew up in NC and now am stationed at Pope AFB in Fayetteville, I live in Carolina Lakes, a gated community north of Fayetteville in Sanford. Sanford is a decent sized town and a thirty minute commute to part of Fayetteville and about the same to Raleigh. Some people I know live in Apex or Fuquay Varina which is just south of Raleigh, really depends on how long a commute you want. I considered Southern Pines and Pinehurst but found that the homes weren't as much what I was looking for. Good luck