PDA

View Full Version : If a player inscribes "Game Used" on a jersey , does it help the MEARS grade?

panthrotc
09-04-2010, 03:08 AM
I have a signed game used jersey, I am going

Back to another signing where inscriptions
Will be available, I am going
To have him add the game used inscription.
I got the jersey from lelands with no previous
Provinence. It has good use and all proper tagging.
As is the highest it can grade is a 5. After the GU inscription how high can the grade be increased? Has anyone been in this scenario before?

earlywynnfan
09-04-2010, 05:54 AM
I don't know about jerseys, but the grade does go up on bats if a player inscribes it "game used."

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

sox83cubs84
09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Same with jerseys...it can go up to an A10, assuming all other aspects check out.

Dave Miedema

Mark17
09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. It shouldn't.

I'll bet if you did a test, get 10 former players who've been retired for 20 years, and put jerseys in their hands, some genuine, some fake, and some that are genuine but not theirs (number changes, wrong year tagging, etc.) I'll bet my 1965-68 Bob Saverine bat they are well under 90% accurate in correctly identifying their game jerseys.

Also, I recall a Hank Aaron bat that was recently in a major, highly reputable, auction a few months ago. It was sourced from a former player who had a very brief career, only pitched in about 8 games, all in 1969. His story was that he fanned Aaron and then got that bat from him after the game.

Problem was, the bat had 1973-75 labeling. I called the auction house and they almost immediately pulled the bat from the auction. So, the player was, let's say, "fibbing."

And then there's Pete Rose.............................

Fnazxc0114
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
In my mind the inscription is pointless. I lke to add it to my signed items just because it looks cool. At a recent signing elvis andrus had i had him sign one of his game used rookie jerseys with a mlb hologram and photo match.. I paid for the inscription and had him add g/u 2009. His handler asked him if it was game used and he said he didnt know he was just doing what i wanted lol. Same with hamilton ive had him sign numerous items with the game used inscription, and he has never realy taken a close look at the jerseys. As for his bats he tends to seem to know if he used them, Im not certain that he does though. Reason being is he goes through spells where it seems like he uses a diff't brand in each at bat, and then he goes back to his old faithful. So i guess what i could of said in one sentence is the g/u inscription for the most part has little to no bearing on whether or not that item was actually used.

trsent
09-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Same with jerseys...it can go up to an A10, assuming all other aspects check out.

Dave Miedema

I see people have replied they don't like this policy, but Dave clearly mentions other aspects must match out for the item to receive an A10 - It is not an automatic A10.

Mark17
09-05-2010, 03:07 AM
I see people have replied they don't like this policy, but Dave clearly mentions other aspects must match out for the item to receive an A10 - It is not an automatic A10.

The inscription shouldn't matter one bit. If it's an A10, it should be graded an A10 without the inscription.

Players focus on refining their skills, not studying the labeling of their jerseys. Just because they wear them, they aren't necessarily experts in authenticating them. Show me a shirt I wore 20 years ago and I might remember the colors and style, and maybe the size, but I sure wouldn't remember the tagging, and if it was similar to a shirt I once owned, I could easily be fooled.

And that doesn't account for players who have a vested (that's a pun) interest in passing off a jersey as GU.

trsent
09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
The inscription shouldn't matter one bit. If it's an A10, it should be graded an A10 without the inscription.

Players focus on refining their skills, not studying the labeling of their jerseys. Just because they wear them, they aren't necessarily experts in authenticating them. Show me a shirt I wore 20 years ago and I might remember the colors and style, and maybe the size, but I sure wouldn't remember the tagging, and if it was similar to a shirt I once owned, I could easily be fooled.

And that doesn't account for players who have a vested (that's a pun) interest in passing off a jersey as GU.

So you don't like their policy, but for modern jerseys, the highest grade they offer is an A5 but with an inscription or some other authentication (team letter, etc.) they may give a higher grade if the item matches.

If you disagree with the policy, that is your choice. I don't see anyone else in the industry offering the service they offer so they can set it up however they wish within reason.

Give them credit for trying. Everything is not perfect, but MEARS tries hard to work all aspects but you seem to imply that everyone is trying to abuse the system and I think MEARS factors that in more than you give them credit for.

Mark17
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Give them credit for trying. Everything is not perfect, but MEARS tries hard to work all aspects but you seem to imply that everyone is trying to abuse the system and I think MEARS factors that in more than you give them credit for.

I don't think it is accurate or fair to say "you seem to imply that everyone is trying to abuse the system..."

What I am saying is that most baseball players are not jersey authenticators. So if a player tries to render a decision which would require that expertise, why would that opinion be given any credence whatsoever?

When you say "I think MEARS factors that in more than you give them credit for," you are missing my point. I DO trust the authentication MEARS does. What I DON'T trust is the authentication a player does, especially on a garment he may have worn 20-30 years ago.

I'm saying, let MEARS do their authentication, relying 100% on their expertise, which I have great respect for. Unless the player has maintained possession of the jersey since he used it (in which case provenance would be far more relevant than his inscription anyways,) leave the uneducated opinion of a former player out of it.

It's just my opinion. I'm saying I trust MEARS. I'm certainly not attacking anybody.

-Mark

trsent
09-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't think it is accurate or fair to say "you seem to imply that everyone is trying to abuse the system..."

What I am saying is that most baseball players are not jersey authenticators. So if a player tries to render a decision which would require that expertise, why would that opinion be given any credence whatsoever?

When you say "I think MEARS factors that in more than you give them credit for," you are missing my point. I DO trust the authentication MEARS does. What I DON'T trust is the authentication a player does, especially on a garment he may have worn 20-30 years ago.

I'm saying, let MEARS do their authentication, relying 100% on their expertise, which I have great respect for. Unless the player has maintained possession of the jersey since he used it (in which case provenance would be far more relevant than his inscription anyways,) leave the uneducated opinion of a former player out of it.

It's just my opinion. I'm saying I trust MEARS. I'm certainly not attacking anybody.

-Mark

Great! I think MEARS knows when a jersey is inscribed "Game Used" that is 30 years old they know the signature is modern so they have to work extra hard. Then again, this concern should be more towards modern jerseys since they can only receive an A5 without such an inscription, while a 30 year old jersey can be graded A10 with or without such an inscription.