PDA

View Full Version : 1926 - 1934 Spalding Bats

REDS1999
07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Jim and Mike,

This thread is not related to a particular player, but it does relate to specific Spalding bat labeling records for the era of 1926 to 1934. The MastroNet Reference book states that the center brand must be labeled as 'HAND TURNED' for all gamers. It also shows a picture of the left diamond next to the Spalding logo as having the number 200 within it. Is this number 200 specifically related to 'HAND TURNED' gamer labeling or can other numbers or letters be stamped within this diamond with 'HAND TURNED' also being stamped?

Also, was it common for team bats to be prepared for the H&B labeling period of 1921 to 1931 with the team's name stamped on the barrell with block lettering?

Thank you for the help.

Greg

ghostkid
07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
It also shows a picture of the left diamond next to the Spalding logo as having the number 200 within it. Is this number 200 specifically related to 'HAND TURNED' gamer labeling or can other numbers or letters be stamped within this diamond with 'HAND TURNED' also being stamped?

Greg,

I know this question was addressed to Jim & Mike, but I'd like to give some input regading bats I've had in my collection over the years. I've had a total of three 1926-34 Spalding Hand Turned gamers, two of which have subsequently been sold. Each of these three bats had No. 200 inside the diamond at the left edge of the center brand. Pictures of these center brands are attached. I too am curious if all 1926-34 Spalding gamers are No. 200 bats.

Oh yeah, worthy of mention is that each of these three bats also had the Spalding logo stamped on the knob.

Kevin Kasper

REDS1999
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Kevin,

Thank you for the information regarding your experience with Spalding gamers. I have not really found any additional information for Spalding except for what is in the Mastronet book.

Greg

ksfarmboy
07-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Greg,

I've seen two 1926-1934 Spalding bats that had the PF in the left diamond instead of the 200. These both had the hand turned slogan above the ball and diamonds instead of the pro finish found on store models. They were also block lettered, last name only and the store models had the first and last names in block letters. The bats were of Olsen and Cochran.

Clint

REDS1999
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Clint,

I sure appreciate the labeling information. The bat that I have seen also has PF in the left diamond with 'Hand Turned' above the Spalding logo. Again, thanks.

Greg