Pet Peeve from Potential buyers on Ebay. Your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Pet Peeve from Potential buyers on Ebay. Your thoughts?

Dear Members,

Just needed to vent for a moment and I am curious on your thoughts if this ever happens to you?

(Just an Example)
    Let's say you list an item for $100 + $10 shipping.

You can email during the auction period from someone saying.

"Dear Seller, List it for $30 shipping included at a buy now and i'll buy it"

These emails really erk me.

First I don't mind the fact if you want to send me an email to negotiate on a price but if your going to make an offer. Please make it reasonable. If you see me listing something for $100 plus shipping what makes you think I am going to take a over a %70 loss on my item.
    Something mroe reasonable like $80 or $90 is fair.

Second if you are even going to make me a ridiculous low ball offer at least you can do is actually ask instead of suggest.

(Regarding the example lowball offer above)
    My response in my head is "Yeah no shit if I list it for $30 buy it now everyone would buy it"

But I am more cordial of course and reply back with a No Thank you.

Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me???
  • lowell25
    • Mar 2009

Re: Pet Peeve from otential buyers on Ebay. Your thoughts?

This happens to me alot. I had game used Hank Blalock jersey listed bout' a year ago at $225 bin. Guy emailed me and to buy it for $65 because Hank played in that game on this guys birthday. (mlb hologram was on the jersey).
    Boondocksaint:cool:

Always looking for J. Damon, M. Cameron and Orlando Cabrera game used items.:cool:

Comment

• perlman9
      • Dec 2007

Yea, low balls do get frustrating, but I guess its the "Never hurts to ask deal." I sell some Buckeye items directly for players like their champ rings, etc and the offers that come in are crazy and sometimes they really get upset with me when I make comment that the offer was way too low. I just got an email from someone saying he would pay $250 for a bowl worn jersey and $500 for a ring and when I said there was no way someone would sell it for that, they got mad at me saying their offer was more than fair. So I guess just takes all kinds and I do try to be helpful to those who may not be able to afford as much to get something, but I guess a lot of people are looking for something for nothing. Thanks American Pickers and Antique Roadshow...lol
      Jason Perlman
      jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• kudu
        • May 2007

I hate it when buyers send you a message saying you'll never sell your thing for $xxx amount of money, so I will offer you $2 for it right now. I just copy and paste their Ebay ID in my blocked buyers list so that they cannot bid on any of my auctions in the future.

With regards to Buy It now auctions on Ebay, I usually use the "best offer" option. That way the buyer can just send in their best offer, and if its a lowball offer you can just decline it.

Comment

• platinum1
          Banned
          • Mar 2008

The best one are the guys that ask you to list a buy it now price and then never buy the item.

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by perlman9
            Yea, low balls do get frustrating, but I guess its the "Never hurts to ask deal." ...lol
            I wouldnt even mind as much if they did ask. But they dont. They just send me an email suggesting for me to relist my item at 1 tenth of the price and they will buy it.

Like yeah ok let me get right on that lol lol

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by platinum1
              The best one are the guys that ask you to list a buy it now price and then never buy the item.
              Plat yeah I got a doozey of a customer like that. Not only did he haglle me to death in price on the item. Ended up making me relist it like 4 times and finally bought it. Refused to buy it directly from me!!

How do you like that one?

Comment

• BULBUS
                • Nov 2005

I get plenty of those emails. I usually reply No Thanks, or I don't reply to the really ridiculous ones. Here is a recent email I received:

$109 FOR THIS ITEM IS A LITTLE OFF I THINK,BUT CALL ME AT ****** WHEN THE LISTING IS OVER IF YOU WILL TAKE $65.00 FOR IT,INCLUDING SHIPPING.THANKS,******

I was 109 shipped when Steiner sells the same item for 299 plus shipping. Needless to say, someone else paid the 109 shortly after this email.

-Chris
                Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                sigpic
                donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• tkd7
                  • Aug 2010

Just say "my prices are firm, thanks for the interest" or add a best offer feature to the listing. No reason to debate a customer or send something negative. Yes, frustrating but its the price of doing business on ebay these days. Too many ways for ebay buyers to negatively impact sellers that it isn't worth it to handle it any other way.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

Eh. It happens constantly on there. They chisel you to no end. But on here alot of people are similar, I have experienced when selling you price a GU item way under market and they still want alot more off. It is like the bat has a big crack you should take another $100 off. And I feel like saying why do think it is so cheap in the first place? The crack is already priced in. Everyone just tries to find stuff wrong with every item so they can get it cheap then once they do it becomes this amazing item that they try to resell for a big profit.

Comment

• Mark17
                      • May 2006

As both a buyer and seller, I figure the BO option gives me a chance to offer whatever the max is that I'd pay. I make it reasonable but I don't worry too much if it's on the low side because it's easy for the seller to decline or ignore my offer.

If there is no BO option on the listing, then I let the seller see if he can get his price, and if the auction runs its course without any bids, I figure that's a clear indication his asking price was too high, so maybe my offer is taken more seriously. I often email sellers after their listings have ended with no bids when I'm interested in an item.

As a seller, when I'm working with a buyer, I like to take it outside ebay and request payment by check or MO. I figure that way the ebay and PayPal fees go into the discounted price we're negotiating. I would not negotiate a lower price and then throw it back on ebay. If I'm going to work with someone on price, they need to work with me to minimize/eliminate the fees.

Comment

• xpress34
                        • Sep 2008

I've been on both sides of this as a buyer and a seller.

My rule of thumb when SELLING is that I only do BIN auctions but I always have BO option.

I also set my 'limits' on the offers so it auto rejects lowball offers, auto accepts offers at or above what I would accept and sends me a note for 'middle of the road' offers that I might consider.

My rule of thumb when BUYING is thatif there is a BIN and a BO, I usually don't offer less than 50% of the BIN as I consider it distasteful and insulting to the seller. Then, if they send a counter-offer, we can barter and hopefiully find a price.

My PET PEEVE when buying is say it's a $100 BIN. I start with a $50 offer and I get a counter offer of $99. No attempt to even try to meet me on a price. I never respond back to those counter offers.

Many times, I watch the item cycle for months and eventually sell for LESS than my original offer!

Ci La Vie!

- Chris

Comment

• jobathenut
                          • Nov 2008

Hey suave-My brother is going threw that right now.As he listed some items on there.And this person made several best offers and ran out of chances.As ebay only lets you make a certain amount of offers.So he tells my brother to lower the buy it now to amount he would buy it for.So my brother does.So i guess we will have to wait and see if he buys it.I told my brother not to change it.But then i dont do ebay, as it's a joke.For these reasons.People always looking to get to get a deal.It's a garage sale on there.Yeah i bet if you offered a item thats worth $100 for $30 you would sell it.But sometimes it's about getting back what you paid for the item or close to it.And most buyers have no clue about that on there.Good for you for responding to the person like that.I proberly would have worded it differently.Like why don't you just stick to garage sales.But then you are alot nicer than me.It's funny cause my brothers item is already at a great buy it now price.But it's all about getting a deal on there.Even if you are already getting one.-
                          Originally posted by suave1477
                          Plat yeah I got a doozey of a customer like that. Not only did he haglle me to death in price on the item. Ended up making me relist it like 4 times and finally bought it. Refused to buy it directly from me!!

How do you like that one?

Comment

• jobathenut
                            • Nov 2008

XPRESS-You story reminded me of one of mine before i stopped selling on there.I had a item that had a $300 buy it now.And the buyer offered a best offer price of $299.And to be a jackass i countered it with $299.50.And never heard from them again.I mean why you offer $299.Just to save $1.So i assummed they were being a jack so i was one back to them.I hate not being able to sell on there.But certainly don't miss that part of it.
                            Originally posted by xpress34
                            I've been on both sides of this as a buyer and a seller.

My rule of thumb when SELLING is that I only do BIN auctions but I always have BO option.

I also set my 'limits' on the offers so it auto rejects lowball offers, auto accepts offers at or above what I would accept and sends me a note for 'middle of the road' offers that I might consider.

My rule of thumb when BUYING is thatif there is a BIN and a BO, I usually don't offer less than 50% of the BIN as I consider it distasteful and insulting to the seller. Then, if they send a counter-offer, we can barter and hopefiully find a price.

My PET PEEVE when buying is say it's a $100 BIN. I start with a $50 offer and I get a counter offer of $99. No attempt to even try to meet me on a price. I never respond back to those counter offers.

Many times, I watch the item cycle for months and eventually sell for LESS than my original offer!

Ci La Vie!

- Chris

Comment

• BergerKing22784
                              • Jul 2007

Everyone loves a great price! I am one of those guys! Well we all do. I just tend to realise the future value of most of the items I send best offers to wont be as high in the future.

Other than top of the line HOFers or those random rare items back before the collecting boom I feel like in due time almost everything sports related will go down in value.

All my baseball cards are now worthless when if I sold roughly around the time I got them I might have got my money back or close to it..

All my starting lineup figures that I bought for $7 to $30 bucks each I cant even get 10% of that.. I have a bunch of McFarlane figures who I paid 10 to 12 bucks for that I always see selling on ebay for $2 bucks..

Autographs I have tons of them and now all the time and effort I put in them I realise I can just go on ebay and buy signed photos of guys that if I were to have bought the photo unsigned back when I collected I can get it for 4 times less than an unsigned photo...

Game used I almost feel its the same way....

I collect Andruw Jones game used items and when I first started collecting him I paid $180ish for a bat... His career has been on the downfall in recent years but now I keep picking up his bats for $60 to $85 each as people do no reserver straight auction. Yet I still see people on ebay or via emails wanting $150-300 for them and they never sell. I send them emails or offers for the price range they are selling for and they think im insane..

Sorry guys not everything you buy is going to be worth what you paid for it. Chances are whatever made you buy the item back when you probably did was the same reasons others would have also. So if your willing to sell it chances are you lost the reason for wanting it and so did others...

More people need to take the fast nickel over the slow dime approach when selling. Because the chances of most items you buying holding value or gaining value is slim to none.

Comment

Working...