PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard: What a great story

Dewey2007
09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Nothing much really to say. The story says it all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dwight-Howard-makes-a-lady-s-day-life?urn=nba-268206

Dach0sen0ne
09-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Touching story. He must be a great guy to take out the time to spend a couple of hours with her.

both-teams-played-hard
09-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Nice story, but my cynical side has a question. Why was a photographer present and how did the Sentinel find out about this story?

both-teams-played-hard
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd like to retract me last post. Who cares if this was a photo-op. It gave this lady a little fame and some enjoyment. Good move Dwight, GO MAGIC!

earlywynnfan
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I'd like to retract me last post. Who cares if this was a photo-op. It gave this lady a little fame and some enjoyment. Good move Dwight, GO MAGIC!

I agree!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

murfsteve25
09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
"And really, just the fact that Dwight spent two hours with an old lady dying from an incurable illness would be enough to make anyone damp in the eyes"

Not me. I don't see anything touching with this story. So he spent 2 hours with an old lady, give the guy a medal. People tend to put celebrities high on a pedistal. More often than not (for many celebrities) they'll show no appreciation towards fans, just sit back and count the money. Then once they spend a little time with an ill person (if their schedule permits), suddenly they make the story of the year. People put Tiger Woods on a pedistal, thinking he was all high and mighty. Turned out he had a secret, dark life that nobody knew about. We don't know who these celebrities really are, so why are we worshipping them?

murfsteve25
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
*EDIT*

But i do also have to say that's awesome for the old lady to get the chance to hang out with her hero. I'm happy that she recieved her dieing wish of having a conversation with her favorite athlete. Good for her.

AutographAddiction
10-21-2010, 05:40 PM
"And really, just the fact that Dwight spent two hours with an old lady dying from an incurable illness would be enough to make anyone damp in the eyes"

Not me. I don't see anything touching with this story. So he spent 2 hours with an old lady, give the guy a medal. People tend to put celebrities high on a pedistal. More often than not (for many celebrities) they'll show no appreciation towards fans, just sit back and count the money. Then once they spend a little time with an ill person (if their schedule permits), suddenly they make the story of the year. People put Tiger Woods on a pedistal, thinking he was all high and mighty. Turned out he had a secret, dark life that nobody knew about. We don't know who these celebrities really are, so why are we worshipping them?

With many celebrities, your accusation may be true- not with Dwight. He has acted with nothing but class in all the instances I have met with him and interacted with him. These stories pop up everywhere. I don't think it's coincidence with him. But... I do know what you are getting at. It's just not accurate with Dwight...

allstarsplus
10-22-2010, 01:12 PM
With many celebrities, your accusation may be true- not with Dwight. He has acted with nothing but class in all the instances I have met with him and interacted with him. These stories pop up everywhere. I don't think it's coincidence with him. But... I do know what you are getting at. It's just not accurate with Dwight...

This part is great:

It was the strangest thing, according to those who were there. Dwight was supposed to inspire her, but she ended up inspiring him, too. Her bucket list turned into the most meaningful bucket he's ever recorded.

When she gingerly stood up to say goodbye, he bent way, way down, hugged her hard and told her something startling. He told this 4-foot-11 woman who is dying of cancer, "You are taller than me."

"That's the silliest thing I've ever heard," she said.

"No," Dwight insisted, "you are taller than me because your spirit lifts you up."

Murfsteve25, I also understand what you are saying as all teams require community service as part of the player's contracts but sometimes you get some real moments you never expected like Dwight planned on 30 minutes and stayed 2 hours.

If you ever want the real scoop on players, get to know the team's Director of Community Relations on what the player is really like. I did a lot of charity work with a team and got to know the Director well. I was amazed by some of the great stories that never get reported, but truly isn't that what charity is all about, random acts of kindness!

both-teams-played-hard
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Please guess a date.
When will Dwight Howard be traded from the Lakers?
Of all the players that have ever played in the NBA:
Dwight Howard is one of them.

I say he will be gone by Thursday.

Another reason that the edit option would be bad for this forum. I would have gone back and retracted my retraction on this thread.