PDA

View Full Version : Beanie Wells Helmet? Or Fake? Newbie here...please help

rotobadger
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Hello All. I'm new to this forum and brand new to collection sports memorabilia and was hoping I could get some advice/help/opinions on a recent purchase.

I am a huge AZ Cardinals fan and was thrilled when I found a "possibly" game used Beanie Wells helmet on Ebay. I did some negotiating and purchased it. I have not yet received it in the mail but did some studying of the pictures and have discovered that I may not have gotten a legit helmet.

First off, the American flag decal is missing from the back. Also, I emailed Frank Levenick from Real Stuff Sports and he indicated that he had not been able to find any evidence that Beanie used this helmet. In fact, it now appears that Beanie didn't even have this type of facemask on practice or game helmets. From what I've read about Frank, I trust his opinion and expertise.

The thing is, from the pictures, it appears that the helmet was used at some point as it seems to have some sweat stains and the seller said it had bits of hair still in the helmet. It has Beanie's number 26 on the back and seems to show wear with marks and scratches.

Can anyone offer some insight, advice or direction on this helmet? I am incredibly dissapointed that I may have dropped a significant amount of money on a helmet that is not what it was purported to be. It even has Beanie's signature and "09 Game Helmet" written on it (although I have no idea if this is a counterfeit signature either).

I would so appreciate some experts here taking a look at the pictures and letting me know if there might be some explanation as to the inconsistencies with this helmet. Practice helmet? Someone elses helmet (but why would it have 26 on it)?

I may have just learned a very expensive lesson in helmet collecting.:(

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

lakeerie92
09-09-2010, 11:12 PM
It doesn't appear as if it is authentic. The facemask isn't the same style he wore and the decals placement isn't matching with Getty photos from 2009

lakeerie92
09-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Sorry I didn't fully read your post. Reasons to explain the helmet are pretty simple. All of the decals can be purchased through eBay. I know this first hand, because when I found out that Riddell didn't have any Pro Combat Gators helmets to buy last season I put together a few of my own. There are many sellers on eBay that make helmets to the exact specifications of the player game used ones. I did it with Tim Tebow. Although I sold mine as replicas some people try to make the extra buck. As for the signature I cannot speak to that. I am familiar with helmets but not signatures. The marks on the helmet were most likely added. I am sorry about your misfortune, but don't let it detract you from collecting. Just make sure to do your homework. Many of us learn that lesson the hard way.

rotobadger
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM
lakeerie92:

Thanks for the quick reply. That was not the answer I was hoping for but I'm not surprised. I'm going to email the seller and see what can be done although I'm not too optimistic.

I'm going to take a look at the helmet when it arrives. If I can't get my money back I may just put it back on Ebay and indicate that it is a replica. Maybe I can cut my losses just a bit that way.

I'm going to try and be positive about this and try to assume the seller meant no deception.

Or keep it as a very, very expensive decoration...:p

Dach0sen0ne
09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the forum. If you have doubts about an item this is a great place to come for help. Sorry it was after the fact this time.

solarlottry
09-10-2010, 02:43 AM
The ebay listing does NOT list this helmet as game used. It plainly states that it could be game used but has no COA and was obtained via a friend after a charity auction for OSU players. It even states that the helmet is NOT being sold as game used but that it could be. The listing does state that the helmet is being sold as a Cardinals helmet signed by Wells. I easily found the auction on ebay in the past sales listings and, come to think of it, remember this helmet being for sale months ago.

Jags Fan Dan
09-10-2010, 06:10 AM
I avoid football game-used helmets entirely. It is too easy to rig up a helmet that is exactly like what is worn on the field. Unless the player took it off his head and handed it to me or it could be 100% photo matched, I'd always be skeptical of any football helmet that I purchased.

rotobadger
09-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Solarlottry: I'm not sure if you read through my post completely (I know, it was long!) butI think you might misunderstand me. I spoke to the seller on the phone and he did emphasize that the helmet may or may not have been game used. I was fine with that. My problem is that it appears that the helmet is not authentic in ANY way. It was not game used, practice used or Cardinal used.

After doing my (belated) research, I found that the face mask type was never used by Beanie. Yet, it has his number on the back of the helmet. The only explanation I can see is that this is a fake helmet.

Again, I'm not complaining that this was never used in a game (or practice), I'm complaining because, it appears, that this helmet was deliberately rigged to look like the real thing.

I don't know much about the seller but he seems like a nice honest guy so I'm wondering if he got duped be someone else as well.

Regardless, I appreciate the advice and support here! Thanks!

mbrieve
09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
This helmet was discussed a while ago and it was determined that it was not was it was reported to be. Maybe the mods can merge this thread with the original???

rotobadger
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
This helmet was discussed a while ago and it was determined that it was not was it was reported to be. Maybe the mods can merge this thread with the original???

Can you direct me to that thread? Did a search and I can't find it. Thanks!