Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soxfan
    • Jan 2010

Bat Experts!!

Do the bat companies ever ship bats to players early or later than the dte year stamped on the bat knob?

Example...a bat stamped on the knob with "08" but got ordered and shipped to a player during the 2007 season...or even during the 2009 season?

Any info has the potential to help me out a great deal!

Jeremy

macleodjeremy@hotmail.com
  • soxfan
    • Jan 2010

Re: Bat Experts!!

just to add to this...

Is there any way to find out how many bats were ordered for a certain year by a certain player?

I know we have the LVS connection on GUU but my bat in questions is my 2008 David Ortiz Gamer that I am trying to figure out if he got it early (for the last end of the post-season of 2007) or maybe even late 2008 into eearly 2009.

It definetly is not a BP bat as it does not have a ton of use, and BP's tend to be beat to hell.

Any info would be great!

As for the know, there was a #34 on there, but it has been worn off, but when the bat is in hand, you can see the faint outline of the #34 in silver sharpie...which leads me to believe it is from Opening Day 2008 at Fenway Park, as it was basically the only day Ortiz used the rust/black rawlings during game play in all of 2008.

Sorry for the long winded rant, but this has been my "Holy Grail" for years and I bought it from an impecable source (John Taube www.gameusedbats.com) and his stuff is ALWAYS top notch!

Thanks!

Please feel free to post any comments here or email me, I ma eager to hear and get some feedback wheather it be positive/negative or indifferent.

Jeremy

Attached Files

Comment

• BMH
      • Jul 2007

I guess I'm missing something here but how do you know it was shipped early? Or I should say, what makes you believe it was shipped early?
      Brian Hillerich

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by soxfan
        just to add to this...

It definetly is not a BP bat as it does not have a ton of use, and BP's tend to be beat to hell.

Any info would be great!

As for the know, there was a #34 on there, but it has been worn off, but when the bat is in hand, you can see the faint outline of the #34 in silver sharpie...which leads me to believe it is from Opening Day 2008 at Fenway Park, as it was basically the only day Ortiz used the rust/black rawlings during game play in all of 2008.

Jeremy

Well not sure if you would consider this beat to hell but......

Here is the bat Ortiz used in October for BP

Here is one from BP in September

This is Ortiz in Spring Training

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Another Ortiz Bat during BP in October
          Attached Files

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Here is another during BP in Spring Training
            Attached Files

Comment

• soxfan
              • Jan 2010

BMH,

I am not sure that they caan or do get shipped early...I only saw ortiz use the @ tone (red/black) Rawlings during the Opening Day game at Fenway, and have only seen a handfull of images from that show him using the @ tone in BP, and all of them seem to have a few very distintictive ball marks on the barrels.

I was just inquiring as maybe he could have received the bats for the Playoffs in 2007, and since there are far more knowledgeable collectors out there, I wanted to put it out there to see if that could be the case.

Jeremy

Comment

• soxfan
                • Jan 2010

I have been trying for months to find and match this bat, so aside from MLBTV and the 4 BIG photo sites...if I cant come up with any evidence there, should I give up the quest to photomatch this bat?

I still have a faint belief...or maybe its hope, that it is one of the bats Ortiz used during 2008 Opening Day at Fenway, but I cant get a clear enough pic and MLBTV is quite grainy...

Jeremy

Comment

• soxfan
                  • Jan 2010

Still trying to photo-match this bat..any help is greatly appreciated!

jeremy

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

It's probably a BP bat which will be pretty hard to Photomatch since there isn't a lot of photos during BP posted.

Comment

• metsbats
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by soxfan
                      BMH,

I am not sure that they caan or do get shipped early...I only saw ortiz use the @ tone (red/black) Rawlings during the Opening Day game at Fenway, and have only seen a handfull of images from that show him using the @ tone in BP, and all of them seem to have a few very distintictive ball marks on the barrels.

I was just inquiring as maybe he could have received the bats for the Playoffs in 2007, and since there are far more knowledgeable collectors out there, I wanted to put it out there to see if that could be the case.

Jeremy

Typically Rawlings playoff bats have special stampings in the knobs.

Rawlings of recent vintage typically may have model numbers with the player initials under them followed by a two digit year code (ex. PO/07)
                      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

Working...