PDA

View Full Version : ebay seller 813drew: not worth the hassles

sox83cubs84
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I bid on a Yankees BP jersey from this guy a few weeks ago. Player was misidentified, but, at the price, I didn't care.

I win it and, 10 days later, he email me and says he wants to relist the jersey because I've taken too long to pay. Things have been hectic here with the possible move, some health issues a couple of weeks ago, and other family issues. I still wanted the item, and offered to send funds in a few days.

This wasn't good enough, and, apparently, he immediately relisted the item. OK, the guy's impatient...I can live with that. The next day, though, he issues an unpaid item alert...AFTER relisting the jersey and, therefore, preventing me from owning it. So now, I have to send him a payment for an item I won't be sent, all to avoid an unpaid strike for an
item he took access to away from me.

I'll give him a little credit...he did refund my needless payment the next day...but felt he handled the whole transaction poorly. You don't relist the item and THEN issue an unpaid item alert...it's the other way around.

I left him negative feedback, as I was bothered at his handling of the situation and causing me to make a PayPal transaction that was basically a waste of time. Of course, today I get the request for change of feedback...drew obviously doesn't want a minus on his feedback report. I might have considered working with him on this, except for an email he personally sent a short time after, as follows:

"F*** you. You lazy piece of s**t. How does it take you 11 days to pay? You are a worthless scumbag. I'd be willing to bet you're extremely overweight, too. Lazy f***".

We'll, any chance he got of possibly receiving a break from me evaporated with that email. Just showing this as a heads up to any Forum members who bid with this guy.

Dave Miedema

eisenreich8
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Dave,

I know how it can be in the world of eBay. Been a member since 1998 and have dealt with only a handful of jackasses, but those who know you, are the only ones who count.

Thank you for the great YoYo hat and the terrific piece on Eisenreich. That's the kind of thing that puts you in a different league than stiffs like drew.

Chin up, he gets the strike, coulda been worse and eff him. Just my take on it.

sox83cubs84
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Dave,

I know how it can be in the world of eBay. Been a member since 1998 and have dealt with only a handful of jackasses, but those who know you, are the only ones who count.

Thank you for the great YoYo hat and the terrific piece on Eisenreich. That's the kind of thing that puts you in a different league than stiffs like drew.

Chin up, he gets the strike, coulda been worse and eff him. Just my take on it.

Thanks...I appreciate it.

Dave M.

mbrieve
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Paying within 7 days of auction close is pretty standard. I'm not saying the guy handled it correctly, but I would be a little peeved if a buyer took longer than that (especially now that PayPal is so prevalent).

otismalibu
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Honestly, it takes maybe 20-30 seconds to pay for an eBay item via Paypal. Really, hardly any longer than it takes to place a bid. If someone hasn't paid me in a week, I'm thinking deadbeat.

Did he send you the alert or did it come automatically from eBay? I was reading a thread on eBay where they were discussing the automated payment alerts that are received, if there is a delay in payment.

Can anyone even tell who has unpaid strikes? Don't you need to collect a few of them before eBay takes any action.

Think of it from the sellers point of view. You found the time to bid and leave a negative, but not the time to pay.

camarokids
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Dave,
Nothing against you personally. But, I have to side with the seller here. After ten days of no payment I would be pissed too. I would re-list the item and do a non -paying bidder form as well.

legaleagle92481
09-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Standard procedure is you wait a week after the auction ends, file an unpaid item claim if that time elapses without payment the buyer gets unpaid item strike you get a fee credit you are free to relist the item. To relist first is dumb. Most buyers pay shortly after getting unpaid item claim notification so to not file it before relisting is dumb on seller's part. Also if unpaid item claim suceeds buyer can't leave feedback so you protect yourself. Not every transaction works out there is no excuse to curse someone out like seller did.

jtorrez
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I have to agree with the seller here too. You did not pay and he has the right to cancel the transaction and issue a non paying bidder, because you were a non paying bidder. It is unfair of you to leave him a negative when YOU did not fulfill your part of the transaction in a timely manner. When you bid on an item you are either ready to buy or you are not, if you are not you should not bid. Faulting the seller and leaving a negative for not wanting to continue to wait is ridiculous and looking for sympathy here is even worse. Why should the seller have to continue to wait until you are good and ready to pay? I'm not trying to start anything with you but you are being irrational in thinking that you were a victim in this situation, the seller did nothing wrong until after you left him negative feedback.

BU54CB
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Dave,

While it did take you some time to pay, I don't feel the seller handled it appropriately in the end. I buy and sell and sometimes I don't pay or get paid immediately, I'm not required to and understand if others don't. As a seller, I will contact the buyer and see what's up if they haven't paid after 7 days. I know I appreciate when a seller contacts me and asks what's up, I've made mistakes and forgot to pay for an item.

I guess what some people forget is that there are more important things than a Yankees BP jersey or whatever it is. But then again, its pretty easy to judge when you're not in the other person's shoes.

Jayworld
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
After almost 13 years on eBay buying and selling, I send an invoice to the buyer at the end of the auction, then after three days (usually on day four, as I state in my auctions: payment expected within 3 days via Paypal), I re-send the invoice, as I always give buyers the benefit of the doubt (perhaps they are sick, on vacation, etc.). If after another 2-3 days I have not received payment NOR communication of any type, I will issue a non-paying bidder alert, and then wait the customary time.

With only 1 exception, this has always worked for me, as the buyer will contact me after the 2nd invoice, or when the alert is filed, etc., and it all works out.

Cursing at someone is totally unprofessional, especially as eBay is a customer oriented service.

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave.

earlywynnfan
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow, I just gave 2 deadbeat buyers 3 weeks to pay!! One paid up when the case was opened, one got a strike. But really, do the strikes mean anything??

Am I the only one who wonders what being overweight has to do with anything?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

otismalibu
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM

If your user ID references Rush Limbaugh, you're probably gonna get at least one fatty slam per season. I'm not saying it's right...or even far right...I'm just sayin'. :)

camarokids
09-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Just wanted to clarify one point. I was NOT condoning the seller sending a nasty email. Only was agreeing with the re-listing the item and filing the non-paying form. Possibly the seller was not sure of the proper way to handle the situation?

As far as Dave goes. I have had dealing with him with no problems.

ziggy
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Ebay changed the policy...it used to be 7 days to pay..now an unpaid item case can be opened after 4 days.

Mulligans
09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry......I'm with the seller on this one. No need to be rude to you but folks need to pay faster or they probably shouldn't buy?:o

jobathenut
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Sorry dave,you are a great guy and i respect you as a member on here.But i also have to side with the seller.Not the the way he worded that email but the whole transaction.The wording on that email just chalk that up to internet bravery.Its amazing how people talk to each when they have no fear of being face to face with them.But anyways,i understand you had issues come up but you should not have bid on a item unless you were prepared to send the money right then.As i would have been pissed after 11 days and would have thought deadbeat also on that.And you really had no reason to give him a negative as he did not do anything to deserve it.Sorry as it pains me to say this as i am usually on your side my friend.Hope the move and other things get better for you.

jobathenut
09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
KEN-You are right was does being fat have to do with anything.As a fat person myself i resemble that remark:D
Wow, I just gave 2 deadbeat buyers 3 weeks to pay!! One paid up when the case was opened, one got a strike. But really, do the strikes mean anything??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

trsent
09-14-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't understand. I have sold over 20,000 items on eBay since late 1990's and the policy for a seller is simple.

Item ends. Wait 3-4 days, send 1 or 2 invoices. Then email the buyer asking status. Around the 4th or 5th day, if they have not replied, file a non-paying bidder, which gives the buyer 7-8 days to pay and if they pay ship their item and if they don't end the complaint and re-list the item.

Why did the seller wait 10 days to tell Dave that he isn't honoring the order and then relist it and file the non-payment then? He should give the buyer the time of the non-paying bidder complaint per eBay policy and then relist the item. I understand, a lot of sellers do not understand how this works, but this is how eBay is supposed to work. The majority of buyers pay, but when the seller doesn't properly file the non-payment complaint and wait for it to end, the risk negative feedback which no one wants.

This is how eBay works now. File the non-paying bidder and then relist the item. It sucks as a seller, but it is a good policy to try to keep a wide customer base.

mbrieve
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't understand. I have sold over 20,000 items on eBay since late 1990's and the policy for a seller is simple.

Item ends. Wait 3-4 days, send 1 or 2 invoices. Then email the buyer asking status. Around the 4th or 5th day, if they have not replied, file a non-paying bidder, which gives the buyer 7-8 days to pay and if they pay ship their item and if they don't end the complaint and re-list the item.

Why did the seller wait 10 days to tell Dave that he isn't honoring the order and then relist it and file the non-payment then? He should give the buyer the time of the non-paying bidder complaint per eBay policy and then relist the item. I understand, a lot of sellers do not understand how this works, but this is how eBay is supposed to work. The majority of buyers pay, but when the seller doesn't properly file the non-payment complaint and wait for it to end, the risk negative feedback which no one wants.

This is how eBay works now. File the non-paying bidder and then relist the item. It sucks as a seller, but it is a good policy to try to keep a wide customer base.
Yes, this is correct. Seller needed to be more proactive, but payment shouldn't take 11 days.

Jeffredsfan
09-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Sadly, I do agree with the seller (except for the foul language part) because I just canceled a transaction with Dave from 9/14/10 due to non payment. With 2 invoices being sent and a non-paying case opened, after 11 days it's not worth my time or effort to chase people around for money.

Neely8
09-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Wow two unpaid for items now? I'd say that's pretty funny for him to be calling out a seller on a public forum when he is really the one who caused the problem by not paying for the item in a timely fashion. A seller should not have to wait 11 days or more to be paid for something especially in this electronic age we live in.

otismalibu
09-25-2010, 09:09 AM
So will the seller get negative or neutral?

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=rushrocks123&Dirn=Left+by&ref=home

Jeffredsfan
09-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Greg - In my case I hope he doesn't leave any feedback because I don't plan on leaving any for him. As far as I am concerned, it's over and done with so why start what could be perceived as a Feedback Battle? Happy collecting everyone!

sox83cubs84
09-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Actually, Jeff, I will leave you positive feedback because you handled the situation in a respectable and decent manner. It was my fault to not contact you sooner regarding payment status (for which I express my apolgies), and you didn't file a UPA AFTER cutting me off from the item, requiring me to make a payment for nothing to avoid a UPS.

In the past two weeks, I have had several payments to me either not arrive or arrive very late, and I've also had two longtime customers I could count on for multiple sales a month both cease purchasing due to family problems that take precedence (and rightly so) over memorabilia purchases. Now that I am aware of that, I'm trying to adjust my expenditures accordingly. These problems were not extant yet when I bid on your jersey. I have no hard feelings, I hope there are none on your end, either.

Dave Miedema

jgoldstein2000
09-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Glad this seems to be worked out.

flaco1801
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
for what its worth.... i never met dave... i have had some dealings with him and never had a problem i believe he is an honest person.... some background here... when i first started collecting some 30 years ago we all read SCD.. dave wrote some great and informative articles which by the way are still in my files.... dave was the guru of collecting game used back then and i learned so much from him... please cut him some slack if he says hes had some family problems, i would not like seeing him leave this forum like so many have already, he is a great weath of information, and he always will help you...

TNTtoys
09-29-2010, 10:21 AM
for what its worth.... i never met dave... i have had some dealings with him and never had a problem i believe he is an honest person.... some background here... when i first started collecting some 30 years ago we all read SCD.. dave wrote some great and informative articles which by the way are still in my files.... dave was the guru of collecting game used back then and i learned so much from him... please cut him some slack if he says hes had some family problems, i would not like seeing him leave this forum like so many have already, he is a great weath of information, and he always will help you...

It was a pleasure reading this. I smile each time I come across a Dave Miedema LOA written in pen sometime back in the late 1980s, a time when I could only dream that this hobby existed. He has contributed (and still contributes) a ridiculous amount of knowledge to uniform collectors over the years, so I have always held his expertise in this subject matter with highest regards.

For what it's worth, I met Dave and that doesn't change my opinion about him :p