PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter Faked It!!!

allstarsplus
09-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Derek Jeter admitted he faked getting hit by a pitch on his arm. :confused:

In the Yankees/Rays game last night in the top in seventh after plate umpire Lance Barksdale -- over the objections of the Rays -- ruled that Qualls' first pitch struck Derek Jeter on the left arm and Granderson followed with his 18th homer.

Maddon argued unsuccessfully that the ball hit Jeter's bat, eventually drawing an ejection from Barksdale.

Jeter, who stood doubled over while receiving attention from a trainer, confessed that the ball hit the end of his bat and he sold the call to Barksdale with a good acting job.

"He told me to go to first base. I'm not going to tell him I'm not going to first, you know," Jeter said.

"It's part of the game. My job is to get on base. Fortunately for us it paid off at the time, but I'm sure it would have been a bigger story if we would have won that game."

Maddon disliked the call, but didn't fault Jeter. "If our guys had did it, I would have applauded that. It's a great peformance on his part," the Tampa Bay manager said. "Several players are very good at that. And again, I'm not denigrating it. If our guy does it, I'm very happy with that if we end up getting the call. ... Fortunately it didn't cost us."

ironmanfan
09-16-2010, 08:08 AM
The way Jeter has been playing, I guess he'll take first base any chance he can get..(obviously he wasn't going to tell the umpire that he didn't get hit...no one would).

suave1477
09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Players do it all the time no big deal

Dach0sen0ne
09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Its like in the NFL when kickers fake contact, sometime you gotta do what you gotta do. First place and home field in the playoffs is on the line here.

PwKw13
09-16-2010, 09:28 AM
I think the point is that most people don't view Derek Jeter like the average player in terms of integrity. I wouldn't expect Jeter to tell the umpire that he made the wrong call, but I'm surprised that he faked it in order to "sell" the wrong call.

suave1477
09-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Have you ever watched Derek Jeter? He does it all the time. Have you ever noticed at every bat if a ball comes in even a drop close he makes the gesture that he bends his back out as if he is trying to get out of the way. Is it because he is sincerely trying to get out of the way of a ball that is no where near him or to hopefully try to get a "ball" call from an ump not really paying attention.

ironmanfan
09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Just think about what the furor would have been if it had been A-Rod doing this

trsent
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Just think about what the furor would have been if it had been A-Rod doing this

I agree. Jeter is a great player and worshiped.

If it was a player not as respected who admitted it, say Manny Ramirez, everyone wouldn't be praising them as they have Jeter above. They would be called a common criminal.

I have no problem with this as it is part of the game, but I don't think Jeter should have admitted it. Maybe Bud will make him pay for that?

godwulf
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I have no problem with this as it is part of the game, but I don't think Jeter should have admitted it.

Sums it up perfectly.

Deking, in its various forms, is part of the game...but you don't talk about it. Jeter's no rookie - he should know better.

sox83cubs84
09-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Good thespian performance by Jeter...like it or not, it's part of the game.

Dave Miedema

jetersbatboy
09-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I think what sums it up best is, the fact Joe Madden had no problem with Jeter faking the HBP. But he did have a problem with the Umpire not catching it.;)

legaleagle92481
09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
IMO it was pathetic. Why settle for a HBP? He should be trying for an extra base hit. He is supposed to be a superstar after all. Instead he took the bat out of his own hand.

flota89
09-16-2010, 10:41 PM
IMO it was pathetic. Why settle for a HBP? He should be trying for an extra base hit. He is supposed to be a superstar after all. Instead he took the bat out of his own hand.
That was my reaction as well. Last night a hurt and struggling Albert Pujols batted in the 9th with runners on first and third and 1 out i think. First pitch nipped his jersey and he was clearly frusterated it hit him. He would have much rather gotten a chance to do some damage.

jobathenut
09-17-2010, 01:43 AM
Dont you know "suave" it does not matter that players do it all the time.When a yankee player does something wrong or something like this thats done all the time,its called out.I mean could they show anymore of the replays during the terrible espn broadcast of the game.So to ansewer what you said.It is a big deal when a yankee does it.
Players do it all the time no big deal

godwulf
09-17-2010, 03:30 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of a player, Yankee or not, in that situation, coming out later and admitting that he'd faked being hit. Isn't that why it's even a story at all...not what team the man plays for?

PwKw13
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
If Jeter's okay with getting a HBP call when the ball actually hits the bat, he should have no problem with being called out at 3rd base on a phantom tag because the ball beat him. Just go along with the ump's decision.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/07/09/2009-07-09_yankees_derek_jeter_not_buying_umpires_missedta g_explanation_against_twins.html

Vintagedeputy
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I really don't see what the big deal is.

My wife fakes it all the time, and she's NOT a World Champion shortstop headed for the Hall of Fame. :eek:

suave1477
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM

My wife fakes it all the time, and she's NOT a World Champion shortstop headed for the Hall of Fame. :eek:

lmaooooo:D

ironmanfan
09-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Cal Ripken talked about this play on his weekly XM radio show today and said that the whole scenerio bothered him, although he admiited he wasn't really sure why. He said that if the same thing had happened to him, he would have run it out, stood at first and let everyone else figure it out.

cjclong
09-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Those who are complaining about Jeter not staying in and trying to get an extra base hit are forgetting that when the ball hit his bat it landed in front of the plate in fair territory. So it would have been a fair ball and if he had not been ruled to have been hit by a pitch the catcher would have picked it up and have thrown him out by a mile. I don't know if what he did is any different than an outfielder making it appear he caught a ball that he in fact caught on the bounce. That happens all the tiem too.It is somethng I feel negative about, but it happens all the time.

3arod13
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM

LMAO! That is hularious!

She did say however, the way you perform, you're heading for the "Hall of Shame." :)