PDA

View Full Version : Concerned About Ebay Concerns and Priorities!

3arod13
09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I have a conern about Ebay. I reported an item that is obviously a fake. No action taken. I emailed them proof. No action taken. Auction still continues.

Is ebay's main concern now about making money for themselves? It it not about keeping the hobby safe for collectors, as they state?

Concerned collector.

joelsabi
09-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I have a conern about Ebay. I reported an item that is obviously a fake. No action taken. I emailed them proof. No action taken. Auction still continues.

Is ebay's main concern now about making money for themselves? It it not about keeping the hobby safe for collectors, as they state?

Concerned collector.

This is my observation but maybe others can verify it. Ebay is less willing to remove an item that come from an Ebay store than a ordinary seller. Also fake item is more likely to get it removed if you phone Ebay as oppose to email the information.

3arod13
09-18-2010, 08:13 AM
This is my observation but maybe others can verify it. Ebay is less willing to remove an item that come from an Ebay store than a ordinary seller. Also fake item is more likely to get it removed if you phone Ebay as oppose to email the information.

Thanks Joel!

BU54CB
09-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Concerned collector.

I'd venture to say that most would agree, ebay's primary concern is about making money period. I rarely see a situation where ebay removes an item for sale due to authenticity, at least when it comes to the collecting of sports memorabilia and sportscards.

legaleagle92481
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Ebay is all about fees. They up the fees this year and tried to spin it that they were lower. Paypal is another way for them to make a quick 3%. If you sell something on Ebay there should be no fee charged to retrieve your money when they are already charging you to list and when you sell the item. No fees are charged when you get paid via Paypal when selling on Stubhub, another Ebay company. They know if they removed all the fake sports items from Ebay their profits would drop like the DOW in October 2008. A huge percentage of Ebay's revenue comes from the auction of autographs and gu stuff and if you really look hard there is more fake stuff then real stuff on there even in Ebay stores where sellers have 1,000s of postive feedbacks. Yes, there is legit stuff on there but alot of people with legit stuff have turned to other venues because of the fees and low selling prices realized on Ebay.

kudu
09-21-2010, 12:34 AM
I think in order for Ebay to remove a "fake" item from being sold on their website, the company that makes that item has to be on their VERO program. So if someone is selling a fake Mitchell & Ness Joe Montana jersey and someone reports it to Ebay that it is fake, Ebay will contact Mitchell & Ness and they will decide if its fake or not. Here is a link to some of companies that are on Ebay's VERO list:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

I did see some sports players on the list, so maybe if the player has a big enough presence on Ebay, they will be more willing to look into the authenticity.

gingi79
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I stopped selling on eBay because:
1) The sports memorabilia market died
2) Fakes outweigh authentics 100-1 on a good day
3) No one trusts the high end stuff
5) People obnoxiously question authenticity on every jersey even with MeiGray letters
4) TV shows like Dateline have proven how bogus autographs and game worn material infested the site with no reprecussions
5) Take all the money we are losing on resale in this economy, then you factor in fees and the pain of listing stuff, pix etc., you actually LOSE money selling your items there now. Any item under $10 makes so little after sale, you actually wasted time listing and selling it!

I have said it for 10 years now. How is it possible NO ONE came up with a rival for them? Amazon has rivals, every Big Box store was forced to get a website to compete with each other, eBay is a monopoly untouched by competition.

In other words, the robber baron Andrew Carnagie of the 21st century.

cincy13
09-22-2010, 07:40 AM

Concerned collector.
I once sold an old baseball, I knew where it came from, the whole nine yards. I know people make mistakes, but I knew everything about this old baseball. This guy from Iowa buys it from me and puts it on Ebay, he spins some incredible tail about some famous ballplayer and game that the ball came from. The funny thing is he didn't even wait for me to take my picture off my ebay site. I reported this fraud to Ebay. They didn't care. His auction went on. Weeks later, I put on another old baseball item, the same guy tried to bid, but I blocked him. He sends me an email, cursing me out for blocking him. I didn't want his false tales to come back on me. All Ebay cares about are the final value prices.