PDA

View Full Version : MLB Player (Tyler Colvin) injured by Broken Bat...

xpress34
09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100919&content_id=14847072&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Tyler Colvin 'punctured' by sharp end of Broken Bat while heading for home in Sunday's game.

Will MLB end the Maple Bat testing now and go back to Ash across the board?

- Chris

skier14
09-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Maybe its time for a change to the MLB Bat rule. I know there are many solutions to this that aren't allowed by the MLB. I know a lot about bamboo for instance, as that is what my company produces most,and it isn't allowed by the rules, but that almost never happens with bamboo (or ash and most other woods for that matter).

(a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 23/4 inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood.
NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a professional game (either championship season or exhibition games) until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of his design and methods of manufacture.
(b) Cupped Bats. An indentation in the end of the bat up to one inch in depth is permitted and may be no wider than two inches and no less than one inch in diameter. The indentation must be curved with no foreign substance added.
(c) The bat handle, for not more than 18 inches from its end, may be covered or treated with any material or substance to improve the grip. Any such material or substance, which extends past the 18 inch limitation, shall cause the bat to be removed from the game.
NOTE: If the umpire discovers that the bat does not conform to (c) above until a time during or after which the bat has been used in play, it shall not be grounds for declaring the batter out, or ejected from the game.
(d) No colored bat may be used in a professional game unless approved by the Rules Committee.

skier14
09-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I just wanted to add that I hate to see things like this, and I wish Colvin all the best.

island_style
09-20-2010, 05:23 AM
Definitely wish Tyler Colvin the best in his recovery.

It reminds me of when Dodgers catcher, Steve Yeager, was waiting at the on-deck circle when a Bill Russell shattered bat ended up in Yeager's throat. Surgery and several bat pieces removed from Yeager's throat soon followed. That led to the then Dodger Trainer, Bill Buhler, inventing the hanging plastic throat guard that was used by catchers and umpires for many years.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Birdbats
09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Does anybody know what brand of bat Castillo was using? It looks like it could be a Phoenix bat. I can't find anything in any news story, and the Phoenix website doesn't have any kind of statement. I'm sure there are a lot of manufacturers this morning thinking, "Glad that wasn't one of ours!"

xpress34
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.comcast.net/video/cubs-player-struck-by-broken-bat/1595593495/Comcast/1595455865/

Here's a link to the play... doesn't look as serious in the action as the injury sounds.

- Chris

xpress34
09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Ken Rosenthal chimes in...

http://www.comcast.net/video/Rosenthal-MLB-to-ban-maple/1595713585/fanSports/newest/

Nathan
09-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I still think that MLB needs to look at a minimum handle circumference before simply banning maple. With a thicker handle and slightly thinner barrel, a broken bat is less likely to happen.