PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Robinson Jersey

hblakewolf
07-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Forum Readers (Mark Sutton)-

As described in the Ebay sellers information, the following jersey was obtaied after a game:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260014207265

Can an O's expert shed some light on this? Does it appear that the year tag is missing on the Rawlings tag? Thoughts on the jersey? Legit?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Garistotle
07-31-2006, 05:50 PM
For this to be authentic, it looks to me that this jersey can only be from 1971. The O's first introduced this style home jersey in 1971. Since 1971 was also Frank Robinson's last year with the O's, this should be the last year that Brooks wore a jersey with the "B. Robinson" lettering. Starting in 1972, his jerseys should just say "Robinson" on the back.

Unfortunately, I have no O's jerseys from that era to match tagging, etc.

Based on the remote possibility of Brooks giving the jersey to the seller in 1971 AND the seller keeping it all these years AND the seller not providing much in the way of details, my opinion is that this is most likely NOT an authentic Brooks gamer.

Plus, the seller has sold other jerseys and, therefore, would preseumably know a little about the jersey market. Wouldn't a moderately experienced seller take an authentic Brooks gamer to an auction house (or maybe get it authenticated or at least provide better details in the listing).

Just my thoughts.

CollectGU
07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Brooks Robinson played for Baltimore until 1977...This seller has never sold any other game worn jerseys...

Vintagedeputy
07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Glen Allen, Va, is about 3 minutes from me. Wonder if the seller would let me view the item in person.

Garistotle
07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Here's my point: after Frank Robinson left the O's (after 1971 season), Brooks was the only Robinson on the O's from 1972 until he retired (1977). Therefore, his post-1971 jerseys would most likely not have had the letter "B" as in "B. Robinson" on the back (like the jersey for sale). In short, 1971 was the only year that Brooks wore this style jersey AND had multiple Robinsons on the team.

Hey, I'd love for this jersey to be the real deal - it would be an incredible find. As a huge O's fan, it would certainly be the cornerstone of my collection. I live in the same town as the seller and would certainly love to see it up close (to see the stitching, tagging, etc.). However, based on the circumstances and my unfamiliarity with 1971 O's tagging, I am not interested.

FYI - The seller is currently selling an autographed Ben Wallace jersey (albeit not game used). I was just saying that for someone who owns an autographed Ben Wallace jersey, they might have some idea of the sports memorabilia market and, therefore, wouldn't risk any listing confusion when selling a premium item such as a vintage game used Brooks jersey.

weimerskirch
07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
All,

This is an interesting jersey. If it is a 1971 Orioles the tagging does not match up. The Rawlings tagging in 1971 is red with the name Rawlings on the left side and two diagonal lines above and below the Rawlings. To the right of the Rawlings was the jersey size number. The 1971 also had a flag tag on the right hand side that gave the year and the set #. This tagging is indicative of a jersey from 1972 - 76 and is missing the flag tag and uniform size.

Mark

mcnallypalmercuellardobson
08-01-2006, 07:53 AM
This tag is from a '72 Earl Weaver jersey...the tag is sewn on the inside bottom .