PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton GU Jersey Question

Royals_Chiefs
09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I have the opportunity to maybe buy a Walter Payton GU Jersey that is also signed and nicely framed. My question to you is how much would this be worth? I am just curious. Do you think 5K, 10K, or 15K?

Thanks,
Dustin

Royals_Chiefs
09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Could you please let me know what you think this could be worth. It is from 1985.

Thanks,
Dustin

CollectGU
09-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Please post pictures of the jersey and tagging. What kind of use does it display?

Dave

legaleagle92481
09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
First you should have posted in the GU memorabilia discussion you would have gotten more responses. Second as the other poster said post pics. Third never buy a jersey in a frame without having the seller remove it from the frame and photograph the entire jersey for you. You need to see the tagging, the degree of use (running back jerseys should show heavy use because of the constant pounding they take) and the condition (i.e, has it started to yellow, are there any tears, etc.). A trick people use sometimes to sell bad stuff is to frame it up so people cannot examine it. And a nice frame fools people sometimes. Fourth, what year is it from? That matters alot in value a jersey from 85 (the super bowl year) or 77 (his mvp year) would command a premium. Fifth has anyone authenticated it? A letter from MEARS or a comparable expert not named Lou Lampson would cause it to fetch a premium.

Royals_Chiefs
09-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I am going to go look at it tonight. I have not scene it yet nor do I know the authenticity of it yet. Please let me know of anything I should notice to make it real. I do not have any gu jerseys so this is kind of new to me.

sox83cubs84
09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Manufacturer-wise, it must be Wilson. There are cheesy Sand-Knit replicas of Sweetness that have fooled novices. If it's a Sand-Knit, it isn't game worn.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Manufacturer-wise, it must be Wilson. There are cheesy Sand-Knit replicas of Sweetness that have fooled novices. If it's a Sand-Knit, it isn't game worn.

Dave Miedema

Indeed. However, Wilson made retail jerseys tagged like gamers, with NOBs (and heat-pressed lettering).
Can anyone tell the difference? Those mid 80s Bears jerseys are just as bad as early 90s Champion NBA. Contrary to whatever the Osmonds say: One bad apple DOES spoil the whole bunch, girl.

both-teams-played-hard
09-23-2010, 12:58 PM
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5036/bearsretail.jpg

Royals_Chiefs
09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
What does NOB stand for? Will the letters be sewn on? I appreciate all the help. Please help me for other things to look out for.

Thanks,
Dustin

skier14
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Wow! Another Dustin!

NOB stands for "name on back".

34swtns
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah right. They're all from 1985. :rolleyes:

Do not spend a penny on it until you've first taken photos of the jersey out of the frame, (front, back, tagging, closeups of any wear marks, sleeves, etc.), and submitted them here for opinions from those of us who are familiar with vintage Bears jerseys.

I will tell you in advance, if it's not beat to hell it's not a game used jersey.
I'm talking lots of repairs, dings in the fabric, damage to the vinyl numbers, etc.. Payton used very few jerseys during his career, some for multiple seasons so they would be expected to show considerable damage.

Good luck, and you have to insist that the jersey be removed from the frame or no deal.

karamaxjoe
09-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I always find it amazing how someone so far out of their realm of expertise would take a chance on a jersey like that. Your talking about a five figure jersey if it's real and the odds of it being real are not good.

I think I know an average to decent amount about Payton's jerseys from viewing catalogs and listening to people like 34swtns talk about them over the years, and with that knowledge I would never take a chance on one.

ivo610
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Video or photo matched and your talking north of $20,000.

Everything you have said makes me nervous. Its like buying a car even though you have never driven a car before. You absolutely have to post the pics on the forum otherwise I am afraid you will get robbed blind.