Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Cracked v. Uncracked Bats

does anyone have both cracked and uncracked bat in there collection. was wondering what bat gets more attention when someone sees your bat collection.

for everyone else, which bat do you prefer? cracked or uncracked and why?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • Yankwood
    • Nov 2005

Re: cracked vs uncracked bat

Hi, this has been covered many times, but my personal preference is cracked, as long as it's not falling apart. If the player was to hand me an uncracked bat I saw him using, this would be ideal but being that this is not usually the case, I prefer lots of use with a nice crack.

Comment

• skyking26
      • Dec 2005

Like Yank said, covered many times. I prefer uncracked with alot of use. If I have to - I will do a cracked and repair it. Most of the time I will not buy one as I view it as an eyesore...

RK
      ROBERT KOPPEL
      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
      and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

I will go with Yanks comment check the forum this topic has been covered but I personally prefer either one meaning a heavily used bat or a bat showing some decent use with a slight crack, not falling apart but a crack to me shows good use.

I personally don't like to repair cracked bats in my opinion your altering the use the player himself put on that bat, but again thats just my opinion.

Comment

• bigtruck260
          • Sep 2007

Hi -

Both are fine...but bats that are totally hammered get the biggest reaction. Especially bats that are not from batting practice. If a bat has a TON of great legit use on one side, and deadwood covers that section of the barrell, it just looks cool.

I also have a few bats that are cracked, and for me, it adds a little extra to the character of the bat. It actually lived a live (Born and Died)...

Dave
          Dave
          Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
          River City Redbird Authentics
          http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• thomecollector
            • May 2006

I have a few cracked bats. And a few uncracked. I do like the uncracked because of the game use. It shows it was used til the last at bat.
            Roger Ward- Thomecollector
            thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• jetersbatboy
              • Jun 2008

Cracked vs not cracked

so what do you guys think. Do you value a game used cracked bat less then a none cracked bat. Also how badly of a crack is expectable.

Comment

• mariner_gamers
                • May 2008

Re: Cracked vs not cracked

Good question....Tons of use uncracked and signed would head my list. Followed by tons of use light crack etc.... For me a crack is never too severe it just boils down to price. I have purchased hammered barrel only bats for $5-$10 bucks. I don't like chunks missing but again I have some in my collection because the price was so low. Oh and of course when trying to find an elusive early Mariner who had under 100 pro AB's sometimes you take what you can get!!

Thanks!
                Davis
                Davis Emburey
                demburey@netzero.net
                Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• frikativ54
                  • Dec 2007

I'd say uncracked, but I've talked to collectors who say otherwise. For me, I like use. The more banged up, the better. I like ball marks, seam marks, rack marks - basically anything that makes it looks more used. A light crack doesn't bother me that bad.

But what I hate the worst is when I see a bat that looks like it has barely any use. What a poor excuse to take a collector's money. You know who you are, dealers that do this. I need mention no names.

-Frik
                  Les Zukor
                  bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                  Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                  (617) 682-0408

Comment

• geoff
                    • Nov 2005

A Game Used Bat that is Hammered with all the Markings on the Bat as well.DonutMarkings are also a plus for me as well.Also it can be cracked but not really cracked even though I have a few Gamers Cracked real bad in my Collection.

Comment

• skyking26
                      • Dec 2005

This has been a topic here several times, and always with the same results. Many liked cracked because they feel that is the "real gamer" and would have been only taken to that usage by the player.

I have always been in the uncracked with tons of use category. A massive crack would be such an eyesore that I just could not handle it. I have Thome and Dunn bats that represent what I love most. Lotsa tar, tons of ball marks/tape etc. Now of all the Kingman bats I own, he was not big on tar or tape - so the usage attributed to him will be totally different in representation...

RK
                      ROBERT KOPPEL
                      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                      and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                        • Apr 2007

For me it is not so much cracked vs. uncracked, but I always ask myself "Why did he stop using this bat?". If the bat doesn't answer that question for me, I'm not very interested in it.

Comment

• stlbats
                          • Nov 2005

I like bats either way. I like bats with heavy use and player characteristics. I like some bats cracked, but NO pieces missing. If its broken in 2 pieces I will have it repaired. Uncracked bats are great if they have heavy use, but most heavy use bats seem to be cracked.

Cracked vs uncracked doesnt seem to bring more money either way anymore. I think in the past uncracked bats brought more $$.

Thanks
                          Jason
                          stlbats@bellsouth.net

Always buying and trading Cardinals bats.

Comment

• 33bird
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Over the years I've joined the darkside finally. I used to like only uncracked or repaired bats. Now, cracked bats are just fine with me, and repaired bats I really don't like unless it's a very minor thing. Plus, I think a cracked bat is GREAT proof that the bat was really used in game action. A lot of the Reds 70's bats came from the Reds Gift Shop and have white tape on them (where the crack is usually) with a date of when they received it. I have a couple of those and they are really cool. It's ultimately up the collector though-beauty is in the eye of the beholder type thing.
                            Greg
                            biggamebird@yahoo.com

Comment

• cjmedina1
                              • Oct 2005

I'm fine with either one as long it has perfect player characteristics.I own 8 MAC bats,4 are cracked and 4 are not cracked. Below is an example of a non-cracked,some what sever cracked,and a minor cracked bat. You'll be the judge.

Carlie Medina III
                              carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...