PDA

View Full Version : Cracked v. Uncracked Bats

joelsabi
10-30-2007, 10:25 AM
does anyone have both cracked and uncracked bat in there collection. was wondering what bat gets more attention when someone sees your bat collection.

for everyone else, which bat do you prefer? cracked or uncracked and why?

Yankwood
10-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi, this has been covered many times, but my personal preference is cracked, as long as it's not falling apart. If the player was to hand me an uncracked bat I saw him using, this would be ideal but being that this is not usually the case, I prefer lots of use with a nice crack.

skyking26
10-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Like Yank said, covered many times. I prefer uncracked with alot of use. If I have to - I will do a cracked and repair it. Most of the time I will not buy one as I view it as an eyesore...

RK

suave1477
10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I will go with Yanks comment check the forum this topic has been covered but I personally prefer either one meaning a heavily used bat or a bat showing some decent use with a slight crack, not falling apart but a crack to me shows good use.

I personally don't like to repair cracked bats in my opinion your altering the use the player himself put on that bat, but again thats just my opinion.

bigtruck260
10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi -

Both are fine...but bats that are totally hammered get the biggest reaction. Especially bats that are not from batting practice. If a bat has a TON of great legit use on one side, and deadwood covers that section of the barrell, it just looks cool.

I also have a few bats that are cracked, and for me, it adds a little extra to the character of the bat. It actually lived a live (Born and Died)...

Dave

thomecollector
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a few cracked bats. And a few uncracked. I do like the uncracked because of the game use. It shows it was used til the last at bat.:)

jetersbatboy
06-05-2008, 01:22 AM
so what do you guys think. Do you value a game used cracked bat less then a none cracked bat. Also how badly of a crack is expectable.

mariner_gamers
06-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Good question....Tons of use uncracked and signed would head my list. Followed by tons of use light crack etc.... For me a crack is never too severe it just boils down to price. I have purchased hammered barrel only bats for $5-$10 bucks. I don't like chunks missing but again I have some in my collection because the price was so low. Oh and of course when trying to find an elusive early Mariner who had under 100 pro AB's sometimes you take what you can get!!

Thanks!
Davis

frikativ54
06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
I'd say uncracked, but I've talked to collectors who say otherwise. For me, I like use. The more banged up, the better. I like ball marks, seam marks, rack marks - basically anything that makes it looks more used. A light crack doesn't bother me that bad.

But what I hate the worst is when I see a bat that looks like it has barely any use. What a poor excuse to take a collector's money. You know who you are, dealers that do this. I need mention no names.

-Frik

geoff
06-05-2008, 02:37 AM
A Game Used Bat that is Hammered with all the Markings on the Bat as well.DonutMarkings are also a plus for me as well.Also it can be cracked but not really cracked even though I have a few Gamers Cracked real bad in my Collection.

skyking26
06-05-2008, 05:26 AM
This has been a topic here several times, and always with the same results. Many liked cracked because they feel that is the "real gamer" and would have been only taken to that usage by the player.

I have always been in the uncracked with tons of use category. A massive crack would be such an eyesore that I just could not handle it. I have Thome and Dunn bats that represent what I love most. Lotsa tar, tons of ball marks/tape etc. Now of all the Kingman bats I own, he was not big on tar or tape - so the usage attributed to him will be totally different in representation...

RK

Jags Fan Dan
06-05-2008, 06:41 AM
For me it is not so much cracked vs. uncracked, but I always ask myself "Why did he stop using this bat?". If the bat doesn't answer that question for me, I'm not very interested in it.

stlbats
06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I like bats either way. I like bats with heavy use and player characteristics. I like some bats cracked, but NO pieces missing. If its broken in 2 pieces I will have it repaired. Uncracked bats are great if they have heavy use, but most heavy use bats seem to be cracked.

Cracked vs uncracked doesnt seem to bring more money either way anymore. I think in the past uncracked bats brought more $$.

Thanks
Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

Always buying and trading Cardinals bats.

33bird
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Over the years I've joined the darkside finally. I used to like only uncracked or repaired bats. Now, cracked bats are just fine with me, and repaired bats I really don't like unless it's a very minor thing. Plus, I think a cracked bat is GREAT proof that the bat was really used in game action. A lot of the Reds 70's bats came from the Reds Gift Shop and have white tape on them (where the crack is usually) with a date of when they received it. I have a couple of those and they are really cool. It's ultimately up the collector though-beauty is in the eye of the beholder type thing.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

cjmedina1
06-06-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm fine with either one as long it has perfect player characteristics.I own 8 MAC bats,4 are cracked and 4 are not cracked. Below is an example of a non-cracked,some what sever cracked,and a minor cracked bat. You'll be the judge. :D

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

bigtruck260
06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
As long as they can be repaired - and the bat is in tact. I only have one or two bats that have chunks, but they can be fixed too.

I think cracks can add a little character. I have a Larry Walker bat that has 1-2 ball marks on it, but the handle is cracked. Kind of justifies the use.

brianborsch
06-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I personally like incracked, and am now delving into collecting game issued bats. Bats issued for game play but not used for whatever reason. I love the clean unused look.

jetersbatboy
10-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I just picked up a couple cracked bat and absolutely love them! I recently find myself buying more cracked bats then anything else. I guess I like knowing why a bat was no longer used. Just my opinion.

Brain I do agree with you I like lightly used bats for auto's, especially of HOF's

zookerman182
10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
i used to only buy uncracked bats but as of late i dont care. I am starting to like cracked bats and even broken in half bats. They all have character and every break is different. wether it was a small handle crack or a shattered bat or a bat split down the barrel i dont discriminate against any game used bat anymore.

joelsabi
10-08-2008, 11:40 PM
i used to only buy uncracked bats but as of late i dont care. I am starting to like cracked bats and even broken in half bats. They all have character and every break is different. wether it was a small handle crack or a shattered bat or a bat split down the barrel i dont discriminate against any game used bat anymore.

anyone own or have a photo of a bo jackson bat that was shattered over his thigh? thats something i would like to see.

Chris78
10-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I prefer a slightly cracked bat because it verifies game use. The worse the crack, the less I am interested in it, unless the bat is MLB authenticated. I also prefer a bat where you can read the player's name easier. If the use makes the player's name harder to read, then I feel the bat is worth less to me. This is something I have not seen anyone say yet.

Chris

joecoco
10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
The best bat for me is one that shows an incredible amount of use, consistent with player's characteristics, and a tiny, hairline crack. In general I am a cracked-bat type of guy, but ones that are too severe can be annoying. Oh yes, and as a rule, a bat can not have enough pine tar on it for me:) - Joe Cocozzella

AWA85
10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Well I have been collecting game used items for about 3 years now and it all started with bats. I started out going after any Reds bat I could find. Then I switched over to players that spent 4 or more seasons with the team, and now I am back into prospects and just about anyone.

This all leads me to my next question and possible focus. Should I just say no to cracked bats? I know there are many of you that only buy uncracked ones, and I am asking why? I am thinking it will bring as little more focus and challenge to my collecting finding a bat that is solid and shows good use. Still a little undecided but may take the plunge and become one of those picky buyers.

Any pros and cons to this situation? I may be thinning out the heard and starting over with a good amount of my bats if I go through with this which is ok with me :D

Masimen
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
In my opinion this all comes down to personal preference. I am fine with a bat as long as it isn' broken in 2. Of course I prefer a nice solid uncracked bat that has good use, but if it is a player I am looking for and the use is good I don't mind a crack, and some cases I am after bats that are very rare and I can't afford to be picky.

whatupyos
10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't care if a bat is cracked or uncracked. What I care about is if its repaired. I dont like repaired bats because, in my opinion, its altering what once was. Thats just my opinion.

skyking26
10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
For 30 years, I've been an UNcracked guy. Reason is simple. I want the bat to be able to be pulled off my rack and swung as if it were to be used right now. The only time I veer from this is if the bat is very rare and I do not perceive that I'll find another.

frikativ54
10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
And here I thought this thread was going to be about Josh Hamilton...

suicide_squeeze
10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I prefer uncracked for the same reason skyking26 stated, and it's just nice to be able to handle the bat without worrying about adding to the damage if you want to take a cut or two with it.

But there are times when a cracked bat just doesn't matter.

There are also times when professional repairs to a bat restores it to it's glory days, which can add to the joy of owning it if the bat holds some special history.

So in answer to your question.....there are many circumstances that can be considered when decided "cracks or no cracks". Just keep an open mind, and consider the significance of the bat you are going after.

I own Ted Williams 517th Home run bat. It was cracked in the subsequent at bat the game he hit his homerun with it. It has been professionally repaired. It's a thing of absolute beauty.

Would you not own it because it was:

A) cracked?
B) repaired?

I didn't think so.;)

skyking26
10-13-2009, 08:11 AM
I prefer uncracked for the same reason skyking26 stated, and it's just nice to be able to handle the bat without worrying about adding to the damage if you want to take a cut or two with it.

But there are times when a cracked bat just doesn't matter.

There are also times when professional repairs to a bat restores it to it's glory days, which can add to the joy of owning it if the bat holds some special history.

So in answer to your question.....there are many circumstances that can be considered when decided "cracks or no cracks". Just keep an open mind, and consider the significance of the bat you are going after.

I own Ted Williams 517th Home run bat. It was cracked in the subsequent at bat the game he hit his homerun with it. It has been professionally repaired. It's a thing of absolute beauty.

Would you not own it because it was:

A) cracked?
B) repaired?

I didn't think so.;)
We are on the same page. What a marvelous collection you must have! What the heck do you do for a living??

Birdbats
10-13-2009, 08:26 AM
There are many ways to look at this. For example, the Cardinals sell only cracked bats. If you want a Cardinals bat, then, do you buy a legit one that's cracked, or an uncracked one of unknown origin? I'll take the cracked one with the team LOA.

Many players use bats until they're no longer able to be used -- whether they're cracked or have deadwood. McGwire is a great example. If you come across a McGwire bat that can still be used, then Mac probably didn't use it. I'll take the cracked one.

Really, in just about any case, you have to ask yourself, "If this bat is still usable, why isn't the player using it?" Personally, I believe many uncracked bats in the hobby likely were acquired via dishonest means (stolen from clubhouses, etc.) or are issued bats with "staged" use (fake ball marks, tar, etc., applied after the fact). Sure, there are legit, uncracked bats out there... especially bats that belonged to players who didn't hit much (pitchers, bench guys, etc.). And even superstars have used, uncracked bats left over at the end of the season. But, by and large, I am suspicious of uncracked bats unless every use characteristic is spot-on perfect and/or the source is ideal -- the player, the team or a player's charity.

BULBUS
10-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with Jeff. I prefer a 'used till dead' bat. Especially from a player that played before the "game used" craze. Most players will tell you that they used their bats till they cracked and if it is uncracked it was stolen.

I know that players today will use a bat a few times and then sell it uncracked, but I still prefer one that is cracked and well used. That tells me the player really like the bat and took it to the plate as much as he could.

-Chris

coxfan
10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
You Atlanta folks can correct me if wrong, but it seems to me from my few visits to the Braves' Clubhouse Store that they sold uncracked bats of minor players ( such as Pete Orr) after they either went to the minors or were traded. Plus, I think sometimes players change their preference on bat types, so the rejected bats are more likely to wind up for sale even if uncracked. So is an uncracked bat sold by a team not genuine?

CampWest
10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't really care if a bat is cracked, split apart, or in three pieces, as long as its got great use.

Uncracked bats are fine, if they have great use - I agree that most players use bats til they're unusable - at least the guys I collect. Mostly I think legit uncrackeds either came about because of superstition - ie 1 fer 20 streak... a change to the player's preferred model or length/weight... or the end of the season. Any way you cut it, there just are not many heavy use uncracked bats out there of my players. With the new MLB guidelines it sure seems like fewer bats are breaking, so maybe this niche will have more inventory going forward.

I don't repair bats. I like to see the story. I dont want to alter it from the player's last use. I've seen some great photo-matches to halved bats, and I think that detracts from the coolness if you have an awesome broken-in-two match, that has been expertly repaired and is near invisible.

I also think we'll look back at the wicked maple bat breaks from a couple years ago and want to see that piece of baseball history...

Extreme example but... Would anyone want to repair this Piazza Bat???

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/51567240.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=AE5E3E7DB8E314177B407F48B5CE4A2C284831B75F48EF45

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/clemens%20bat2.JPG

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/clemens%20bat.JPG

Still stunned he didnt get ejected... Umpires were afraid and too stunned to react... Roid rage? "I thought it was the ball"... so they must've been playing kickball since he threw it at Piazza...

Anyhow... back on topic. I like to preserve it as it was, unaltered, and I have to collect broken because my players have little to no heavily-used, uncracked bats.

CampWest
10-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Sorry a little OT, but this gosh, this is just my absolute favorite baseball picture of all time. I wish Topps or Upper Deck would have used this in a baseball card... Maybe someday. I hope to find a good high res image to print an 8x10 and see if I can get Clemens to sign it maybe he'll even add something like, "DIE PIAZZA. DIE" or "I thought it was the ball". That would be awesome.

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/clemens%20bat.JPG

bigtruck260
10-13-2009, 04:02 PM
There are many ways to look at this. For example, the Cardinals sell only cracked bats. If you want a Cardinals bat, then, do you buy a legit one that's cracked, or an uncracked one of unknown origin? I'll take the cracked one with the team LOA.

Many players use bats until they're no longer able to be used -- whether they're cracked or have deadwood. McGwire is a great example. If you come across a McGwire bat that can still be used, then Mac probably didn't use it. I'll take the cracked one.

Really, in just about any case, you have to ask yourself, "If this bat is still usable, why isn't the player using it?" Personally, I believe many uncracked bats in the hobby likely were acquired via dishonest means (stolen from clubhouses, etc.) or are issued bats with "staged" use (fake ball marks, tar, etc., applied after the fact). Sure, there are legit, uncracked bats out there... especially bats that belonged to players who didn't hit much (pitchers, bench guys, etc.). And even superstars have used, uncracked bats left over at the end of the season. But, by and large, I am suspicious of uncracked bats unless every use characteristic is spot-on perfect and/or the source is ideal -- the player, the team or a player's charity.

Obviously, I use Jeff's logic as a rule of thumb - and I have always liked cracked bats as long as I can repair them myself. I don't want to have to send one out and pay someone else to fix a $100 bat.

I only have a few cracked bats nowadays, but they are solid and displayable. I don't really care as long as the bat carries correct player traits and came from a good source.

D

AWA85
10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Great points by everyone. i think Jeff's post has me a little hesitant on going 100% uncracked now that I think about it. Does seem like most players like using bats till they break, and makes a person wonder a bit when these uncracked ones hit the market.

May have to think this collection shift over a little bit before I go for it. Thanks for the insight!

suave1477
10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree with Whatupyos and BirdBats.

I think they both said it best.

But for my personal opinion I don't mind a cracked bat as in my eyes I believe the player used it till he couldn't any more. Which is what I like my bats to show.

allstarsplus
10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Sorry a little OT, but this gosh, this is just my absolute favorite baseball picture of all time. I wish Topps or Upper Deck would have used this in a baseball card... Maybe someday. I hope to find a good high res image to print an 8x10 and see if I can get Clemens to sign it maybe he'll even add something like, "DIE PIAZZA. DIE" or "I thought it was the ball". That would be awesome.

Clemens had no problem signing on my Piazza cracked (repaired) bat and we had a great laugh about it. Now then, the mistake I made was having Clemens sign first because when my buddy took it to Piazza he told my buddy to tell me to shove it up my a$$.

This was the bat and case before I got it autographed.

allstarsplus
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I agree with Whatupyos and BirdBats.

I think they both said it best.

But for my personal opinion I don't mind a cracked bat as in my eyes I believe the player used it till he couldn't any more. Which is what I like my bats to show.

I will take well used bats with player characteristics and will take them uncracked, cracked, or if broken in 2 pieces i will get them repaired.

whatupyos
10-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Isn't it true that Mac gave a lot of bats away that either were issued and or staged for use but saw little if any action?

joelsabi
10-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Clemens had no problem signing on my Piazza cracked (repaired) bat and we had a great laugh about it. Now then, the mistake I made was having Clemens sign first because when my buddy took it to Piazza he told my buddy to tell me to shove it up my a$$.

andrew,

thats one nice bat with a awesome story.

how did you get the bat put back together. it looks uncracked.

allstarsplus
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
andrew,

thats one nice bat with a awesome story.

how did you get the bat put back together. it looks uncracked.

A buddy of mine glued it together. There is 1 small piece missing. Very clean break on it.

Just wish Mike Piazza would have signed it.

CampWest
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
As always, great stuff Andrew. Thats a great piece as is... My initial thought would have been to leave the handle and barrell separate, have Piazza sign the handle and Clemens the barrell, to mimic pieces they were holding in the picture you used in your display...

Still fantastic though and I love Piazza's response.

Oughta try it again some day with a little innocent 5yo girl asking Mike... see if he caves then.

suicide_squeeze
10-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Andrew.....was your bat THE bat from the Series???? If so, how and where did you get it? That's quite an item to have!!!

That's what I refer to as the most girly-girl response in the history of the World Series. At the point that happened, the Yanks were spanking the holy begeezuz out of the hapless Mets, and Mike Piazza had the PERFECT opportunity to man up, charge the mound for a take down and subsequent slugfest, and potentially change the whole make-up of the series by getting his team fired up. Instead, he wimped out and put on his make-up like a little girl. The Mets were done the very next game. Series over.

So if that's the bat, Andrew, you got yourself a keeper there....congrats!!

Oh, and if you ever run into Mike, you can tell him YOUR FRIEND Steve say that HE SHOULD HAVE SHOVED THAT BROKEN BAT PIECE UP ROGER CLEMENS A$$. ;)

frikativ54
10-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Andrew.....was your bat THE bat from the Series???? If so, how and where did you get it? That's quite an item to have!!!

That's what I refer to as the most girly-girl response in the history of the World Series. At the point that happened, the Yanks were spanking the holy begeezuz out of the hapless Mets, and Mike Piazza had the PERFECT opportunity to man up, charge the mound for a take down and subsequent slugfest, and potentially change the whole make-up of the series by getting his team fired up. Instead, he wimped out and put on his make-up like a little girl. The Mets were done the very next game. Series over.

So if that's the bat, Andrew, you got yourself a keeper there....congrats!!

Oh, and if you ever run into Mike, you can tell him YOUR FRIEND Steve say that HE SHOULD HAVE SHOVED THAT BROKEN BAT PIECE UP ROGER CLEMENS A$$. ;)

Can you please cut the sexism?

whatupyos
10-13-2009, 11:18 PM

Steve,

Please insert the funny smiley faces with a smiley driving a cop car with a siren going.

The PC police are after you. Heaven forbid someone makes a joke.

suicide_squeeze
10-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Um.....no.

suicide_squeeze
10-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Steve,

Please insert the funny smiley faces with a smiley driving a cop car with a siren going.

The PC police are after you. Heaven forbid someone makes a joke.

"Come with me......squeeze"http://www.dreamstime.com/police-officer-emoticon-with-clipping-path-thumb480243.jpg

suicide_squeeze
10-13-2009, 11:57 PM
......as a matter of fact, from now on when any of you post a "naughty".......you get one of these:

http://www.emotty.com/images/emoticons/1013.png "PULL OVER TO THE RIGHT OF THE ROAD......ERR.....KEYBOARD"

whatupyos
10-14-2009, 12:16 AM
"Come with me......squeeze"http://www.dreamstime.com/police-officer-emoticon-with-clipping-path-thumb480243.jpg

CLASSIC!! I thank you for the humor that you bring to the board.

chakes89
10-14-2009, 12:18 AM

What is over the graphic?

It's hurting my eyes

frikativ54
10-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Um.....no.

I love how you flippantly disregard my concerns about your language on this board. If you want to attract women to collecting, making jokes at the expense of over 50% of the population sure isn't the way to do it.

Making a mockery of my point doesn't dismiss its validity. How do you expect to make me - or other women, for that matter - feel welcome on this board, when you so callously make sexist comments?

I am through with you. Enjoy your patriarchal board, revolving around a hobby where sexism is the norm. Hopefully, you can find other women to serve as sycophants for the game-used industry.

chakes89
10-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Ok, Ok lets get back to the original topic before we all have to consult our thesauri to comprehend that literal masterpiece;

Frik,

Do you say no to crack? Or do you embrace it with a passion?

Do you like big cracks or small cracks?

Capital-Sports
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Goodbye

suicide_squeeze
10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I love how you flippantly disregard my concerns about your language on this board. If you want to attract women to collecting, making jokes at the expense of over 50% of the population sure isn't the way to do it.

Making a mockery of my point doesn't dismiss its validity. How do you expect to make me - or other women, for that matter - feel welcome on this board, when you so callously make sexist comments?

I am through with you. Enjoy your patriarchal board, revolving around a hobby where sexism is the norm. Hopefully, you can find other women to serve as sycophants for the game-used industry.

Frik,

I didn't flippantly disregard your concerns. I watch my language and always try to keep it on the "G" rating level.

What you appear to be upset about is a "politically correct" issue.

I am not a sexist person, nor am I prejudiced towards most. I was making a refference to Mike Piazza being lesser of a man than I felt he should have been given the situation of his team being lambasted by the Yankees, and his opportunity to change the state of that series. He should have rose to the occasion, IMO, when Roid-ger Clemens hurled the broken bat in his direction....he didn't. In my making light of it by referring to make-up, or wearing a skirt, or any other refference I have made (including other posts), that's just small talk to excentuate the point. Don't read more into it than there is.

You appear to be overly sensitive in a bunch of different ways, and I hit on one of them by chance. I have absolutely nothing but respect, in general, for "people". I don't draw the line on sex. I also, have a lot of disrespect for people who don't deserve any. You are confusing issues, and you appear, IMO, to take expressions by others to an extreme of immense disproportion, based on ONLY your views.

I would also like to state that I believe "political correctness" has outlived it's usefulness in our society in this day and age. This whole conversation is a good indication why. This is not about me being sexist, or you being insulted as a woman, this is about Mike Piazza being a whoosie when he had a chance to turn his team into a group with newly instilled fight in them to change the direction of their fate......and that's ALL!

What really confuses me is that I have actually come to your side on threads here, and have supported you when others have made derrogatory comments towards you. One particular thread, I even suggested to you to not feel like less of a "human being" because you felt you were being attacked along the very same manner you are accusing me of here.....because you were a "female".

So, in light of our mistaken meanings and misunderstandings between eachother, please accept my apology for upsetting you. But know this....when I said "Um.....no." to your concerns, I was referring to the fact that I wasn't making sexist remarks as you viewed them, so I had nothing to watch (or stop). I was actually already in the process of attempting to find an emoticon requested by another member to help the light-hearted discussion, not to add to your dismay, when I posted the "Um......no." I hope you take this apology and explanation as sincere as I mean it.

If I may be so bold, lighten up for your own good. If you're going to hang around a group of guys, which I know no one has a problem with, expect now and then to hear the "guy talk", and don't take it to heart. No one is out to antagonize or upset you. In case you haven't noticed....I have witnesses first hand how rough the members here can be. Just play duck, and let it roll off your back like water.....it doesn't mean squat. When you try to impose your will on them, it just gets worse. We all have the right to disagree, but making something out of nothing because of a personal belief should probably be displayed to the offender by a personal email, and better left off the threads. You will have a lot less grief to deal with in the end.

Peace sister.

CollectGU
10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
A buddy of mine glued it together. There is 1 small piece missing. Very clean break on it.

Just wish Mike Piazza would have signed it.

Is that the actual bat from the incident or just a similar broken Piazza bat

spartakid
09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I was just curious who collects only uncracked bats, and who collects both cracked and uncracked. I myself have found that I've been trying to purchase only uncracked because I think they are "cleaner" looking and I don't have the fear that a crack will worsen. Feel free to give your input either way. Ricardo

Jags Fan Dan
09-24-2010, 04:06 PM
I collect both, and I used to prefer cracked to uncracked. Right now, I don't have a strong preference either way. I like the bats to show use, the more the better, and usually that means cracked or dead wood.

A cracked bat lived out its full useful life to the player. I get concerned when I see "game used" bats with one or two ball marks, if any. It just makes me wonder if this was a bat owned by a player, why did he stop using it?

sox83cubs84
09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm used to cracked, as most of my collection comes from the players and coaches...I rarely buy a bat anywhere. I have no perference along these lines...my turnoffs are piece-missing bats that have had the name or logo detatched, or bats in multiple pieces.

Dave Miedema

coxfan
09-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Although my bat experience is very limited, I get the impression that uncracked bats result from things like: 1) He's sent to the minors and they want him to change his bat preferences; 2) He's traded, and his new team gets him bats with their team name; 3) or he switches bat types on his own.

All these possibilities can be checked if you see an available uncracked bat. If there's no evident reason why he gave it up, I'd be cautious.

Fnazxc0114
09-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I prefer uncracked, but ill buy a cracked one. I usually hold on to it till i find a uncracked one then get rid of it.

Yankwood
09-25-2010, 06:16 AM
....cracked...

camarokids
09-25-2010, 01:21 PM
All these possibilities can be checked if you see an available uncracked bat. If there's no evident reason why he gave it up, I'd be cautious.

There are many reasons for a bat to be on the market and uncracked.

A player can give away a uncracked bat to a friend, family member or to a lucky fan. Instead of giving away a favorite gamer with tons of use.

I have a few uncracked bats in my collection of almost 300 bats, most are cracked.

I get the feeling that quite a few of the bats I have bought come from people who were given a bat (but don't collect) and just got tired of having it sit around.

I still have a bat I was given when I was twelve years old.

tkd7
09-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Cracked or uncracked, I want a bat that I can hold and swing. If a cracked bit is damaged to the point where I can swing it or there are big pieces missing, I'll pass.

Some cracked bats have such small cracks that you really need to look hard to find it.

Neal
09-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Cracked or uncracked, I want a bat that I can hold and swing. If a cracked bit is damaged to the point where I can swing it or there are big pieces missing, I'll pass.

Some cracked bats have such small cracks that you really need to look hard to find it.

interesting perspective on not being able to "swing" the bat ... I agree.

I have a few that have minor cracks, one with a lift, and one with a sliver missing from the handle. I just picked up a bat with some noticeable cracks on the handle, and I really enjoy the bat so far.

SkubeBats
09-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I personally don't like having bats missing any wood in my collection. Uncracked or cracked it doesn't matter as long as it shows use to it.

MarkakisMania
09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I prefer cracked or uncracked as long as the bat is not in two or more pieces. I like cracks to be slight not detracting from the ability to display the bat

spartakid
09-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Wow, it appears I am in the minority. :)

yankees506
09-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I dont mind either, but i must say holding an uncracked bat makes me feel as if the player handed the bat to me directly

stlbats
09-26-2010, 10:29 PM
I personally like all of my bats cracked as long as no wood or pieces are missing. I wont buy a bat with any missing pieces. If I happen to get a bat in 2 pieces, I will have it repaired, but just cracked is nice. I dont think I have ever actually swung any of them, very hard at least. I think the cracks add to definate game use and basically why the bat is no longer being used. I have never understood why a crack takes points off on a graded bat.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

yankees506
10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, i didnt want to start a new thread so im bumping this one, i have a question: How do you guys feel about bats with missing handles? AKA would you buy a bat with solid porvinance (steiner, psa JT, MLB) that is missing its handle? ive been offered a few nice bats that are missing the handle, not sure if i like them or not, opinions please!

legaleagle92481
10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, i didnt want to start a new thread so im bumping this one, i have a question: How do you guys feel about bats with missing handles? AKA would you buy a bat with solid porvinance (steiner, psa JT, MLB) that is missing its handle? ive been offered a few nice bats that are missing the handle, not sure if i like them or not, opinions please!

If your buying for resale, it is much tougher to sell and buyers will pay much less for it. If you can't find or can't (or don't want to) afford a legit bat of that player otherwise go for it. A good way to get a top bat cheap.

godwulf
10-24-2010, 10:42 AM
The only way I would have a handle-less bat in my collection is if it had some special "historical" significance, or if it was a gift...and if the latter, I'd probably end up giving it away to some other fan. Most bats like that, even if they belonged to star players, simply don't have any value to me.

spartanservitto
10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I dont mind bats that are in two pieces, but I dont like not having the handle to the barrel, I agree on the historical significance point.

-Tony

AWA85
10-24-2010, 11:53 AM
After buying and selling a few items, I have learned first hand bats that have no handle or are broken in two pieces gather a fraction of what a bat in one piece would bring in. I recently sold a Bronson Arroyo bat that sold for about $45 total that was broken in two different pieces. Other Arroyo bats have sold for prices of $100 and up.

It is one small example, but going on in my collecting I will be avoiding bats that are in 2 pieces or missing handles as the values are ineradicably lower.

godwulf
10-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Now, bats that are in two (even three!) pieces don't bother me that much...not as long as I have plenty of Elmer's wood glue and some good clamps, and there are no pieces missing.

What is probably the favorite bat in my collection of 1,000+, one that Micah Owings broke on the day he threw a shutout in Pittsuburg in 2007, came to me in two pieces...but I've had to glue together a few others, too.

As I say, as long as there are no pieces missing, a broken-in-two bat doesn't bother me any more than a cracked one does.