Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Gamers with Date Specific Inscription

My friend in Japan who collects gloves wanted me to find him a nice CC Sabathia fielder's glove. I came across a Rawling's glove with a embroidered "RIP NB" and the inscription “Game used Opening Day 2009”. I went to the Getty website to pull up a quick photomatch of the glove and realized Sabathia was using a Nike Glove. I thought maybe the inscription was for the wrong year but every photo where Sabathia pitched the season opener he was wearing a Nike glove.

Anyways I thought I would post this example and maybe others can post other examples.

How can you explain away a game used equipment that has a date specific inscription and is not a type of equipment that a player is known to use. Is it the fault of the player who signed with a game specific inscription or the seller for not verifying the game used equipment for that game, or both.
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • CampWest
    • May 2008

Re: Gamers with Date Specific Inscription

Sorry Joel...

I have no idea what you are talking about...

He used a very similar glove, possibly that one, on 4/6/2009. That was his first start of the season. Which was the opening day of the 2009 Season..

Check the date on your picture again. But this sure looks to me like a Rawlings...

"BALTIMORE - APRIL 06: C.C. Sabathia #52 of the New York Yankees pitches during the game against the Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland on April 6, 2009. The Orioles defeated the New York Yankees 10-5. (Photo by Mitchell Layton/MLB Photos)"

Regular Season Schedule/ResultsAPRILOPPONENTRESULTW-LWINLOSSSAVEATTMon, Apr 60-1Guthrie (1-0) Sabathia (0-1) 48,607Wed, Apr 80-2Uehara (1-0) Wang (0-1) Sherrill (1) 22,856
    Regular Season Schedule/ResultsAPRILOPPONENTRESULTW-LWINLOSSSAVEATTMon, Apr 60-1Guthrie (1-0) Sabathia (0-1) 48,607Wed, Apr 80-2Uehara (1-0) Wang (0-1) Sherrill (1) 22,856
    ESPN has the full 2024 New York Yankees 1st Half MLB schedule. Includes game times, TV listings and ticket information for all Yankees games.

sigpic
    Wes Campbell

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by CampWest
      Sorry Joel...

I have no idea what you are talking about...

He used a very similar glove, possibly that one, on 4/6/2009. That was his first start of the season. Which was the opening day of the 2009 Season..

Check the date on your picture again. But this sure looks to me like a Rawlings...

"BALTIMORE - APRIL 06: C.C. Sabathia #52 of the New York Yankees pitches during the game against the Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland on April 6, 2009. The Orioles defeated the New York Yankees 10-5. (Photo by Mitchell Layton/MLB Photos)"

ESPN has the full 2024 New York Yankees 1st Half MLB schedule. Includes game times, TV listings and ticket information for all Yankees games.

Thanks for looking this up. Just carelessness on my part.

Based on the caption your photo was not part of the results when I entered keywords Opening 2009 Sabathia. I should have checked Sabathia pitching log for 2009 too.

Sabathia happened to pitch the first game of the season in Baltimore (4/6) and also the first game (4/16) at new Yankee stadium in 2009. Both games are considered Opening Days. So he used the Rawlings glove in Baltimore and the Nike glove at Yankee Stadium.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
        • May 2009

No, one is considered Opening Day, the other would be considered Home Opener.

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
          No, one is considered Opening Day, the other would be considered Home Opener.
          Here's the caption from the photo I found.

APRIL 16: CC Sabathia reacts after striking out Cleveland Indians' Jhonny Peralta to end the 5th inning during Opening Day at Yankee Stadium. Yankees lost 10-2

Not really thinking. I thought this was the first game of the year.
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
            • May 2009

I guess it's interchangeable but I've always heard it referred to as Opening Day being the first full day of games on the baseball calendar, and Home Opener as a team's first game at their stadium. Here's my example http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/sch...mil&m=4&y=2010

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
              I guess it's interchangeable but I've always heard it referred to as Opening Day being the first full day of games on the baseball calendar, and Home Opener as a team's first game at their stadium. Here's my example http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/sch...mil&m=4&y=2010
              In its broadest sense, every team has an opening day at their stadium. I guess some teams may have two opening days if the new stadium was introduced in the middle of the season. Three River Stadium and Safeco Park come to mind.

If I saw a Sabathia Nike Glove with the inscription the “Game used Opening Day 2009” the inscription can be explained also.

Anyways my bad for not looking up the Sabathia's player log.
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• skier14
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by joelsabi
                In its broadest sense, every team has an opening day at their stadium. I guess some teams may have two opening days if the new stadium was introduced in the middle of the season. Three River Stadium and Safeco Park come to mind.

If I saw a Sabathia Nike Glove with the inscription the “Game used Opening Day 2009” the inscription can be explained also.

Anyways my bad for not looking up the Sabathia's player log.
                Lastings is right. Opening day is the first game of the season. The home opener is the first game at home for the season. This has nothing to do with the opening of a new stadium.

The only way it is interchangeable is in the sense that a team who plays its first game of the season at home, it would be both the home opener and opening day, however the two have different meanings.

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by skier14
                  Lastings is right. Opening day is the first game of the season. The home opener is the first game at home for the season. This has nothing to do with the opening of a new stadium.

The only way it is interchangeable is in the sense that a team who plays its first game of the season at home, it would be both the home opener and opening day, however the two have different meanings.
                  Again, if I saw a Sabathia Nike Glove with the inscription the “Game used Opening Day 2009” the inscription, I would not have a problem with it.

If you look up on ebay keywords opening day yankees 2009 and click "enter", you get a majority of items referring to the game held on April 16 for sale.

I own a game used baseball that commemorates the opening day at Safeco Field held on July 15, 1999. First game ever at new Yankee Stadium was referred to as opening day by announcers, reports, and Yankee fans. It has to do with being the first game of the season at that stadium. Thats my understanding.
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Dach0sen0ne
                    • Jul 2010

They use Opening day bases in home openers, so that's kind of confusing.

Comment

• skier14
                      • Apr 2010

Again, if I saw a Sabathia Nike Glove with the inscription the “Game used Opening Day 2009” the inscription, I would not have a problem with it.

If you look up on ebay keywords opening day yankees 2009 and click "enter", you get a majority of items referring to the game held on April 16 for sale.

I own a game used baseball that commemorates the opening day at Safeco Field held on July 15, 1999. First game ever at new Yankee Stadium was referred to as opening day by announcers, reports, and Yankee fans. It has to do with being the first game of the season at that stadium. Thats my understanding.
                      Of course you get that, as it was "Opening Day" for The Stadium. Opening day, generally, refers to opening day of the baseball regular season.

The words opening day, usually mean the first game for a team for a season.

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

Of course you get that, as it was "Opening Day" for The Stadium. Opening day, generally, refers to opening day of the baseball regular season.

The words opening day, usually mean the first game for a team for a season.
                        Make up your mind. You said "This has nothing to do with the opening of a new stadium". Now you say it does.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Dach0sen0ne
                          They use Opening day bases in home openers, so that's kind of confusing.
                          Well here is a list of opening days for the Yankees. It seems there is one every year.

Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• skier14
                            • Apr 2010

Make up your mind. You said "This has nothing to do with the opening of a new stadium". Now you say it does.
                            My mind is made up. Opening Day for Yankee Stadium is different than Opening Day.

Here is a list of Yankees opening day pitchers (notice not all at home)

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

My mind is made up. Opening Day for Yankee Stadium is different than Opening Day.

Here is a list of Yankees opening day pitchers (notice not all at home)
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rting_pitchers
                              I am glad you see the difference and the broad use of the word "Opening Day" by people.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...