Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bondsgloves
    • Aug 2007

Are the Rockies Cheaters?

This is why I believe Carlos Gonzalez won't win the MVP. People rip players for steroids, corking bats, doctoring the baseball, or even the patriots for recording walk throughs and stealing play calls. Players and teams will continue to cheat and look for unfair advantages.

• skier14
    • Apr 2010

Re: Are the Rockies Cheaters?

It is an interesting question. I do know the difference between this and steroids, or corking a bat is a pretty big one actually. It is not the players cheating, or the coaches, or manager for that matter (if it is actually going on in the first place).

The MLB is now overseeing the humidor, which they should have done all along. I am sure that will affect Carlos's MVP chances, but should it? He didn't cheat. There is no evidence of the Rockies cheating.

It's a different story if there is evidence proving this.

This argument is that the Rockies are putting balls not from the humidor into the game late in ballgames. This would explain the Rockies great numbers late in games. The one issue with that argument is that the Rockies have scored 369 Runs in the first 4 innings of games this season, and they have scored 372 in the last 5.

I have no opinion on whether the Rockies do this, the only thing I would say is that "Jim Tracy and the Rockies Management would never do something like this", but I know they wouldn't be aware if this were going on.

Comment

• MLB_Authentic
      • Oct 2009

Yes, yes they are.

Comment

• Manram
        • Nov 2008

The Rockies may be cheating, but it should not affect cargo's mvp chances. It's not like he is cheating or doing something that he can change

Comment

• Bondsgloves
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Manram
          The Rockies may be cheating, but it should not affect cargo's mvp chances. It's not like he is cheating or doing something that he can change
          Then his numbers are inflated and his team may have won more games. Don't numbers and a winning team, the most important part of being the mvp.

Comment

• skier14
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Bondsgloves
            Then his numbers are inflated and his team may have won more games. Don't numbers and a winning team, the most important part of being the mvp.
            Yes, but if he is doing nothing wrong in the first place, and there is no proof that the Rockies are cheating. He can't have the MVP not given to him on a Jon Miller hunch.

Comment

• kellsox
              • Jan 2006

Something to chew on...
              Gonzalez #'s home/away in basically same amt of games and ab's

Avg:
              Home- .390
              Away .293

HR
              Home- 25
              Away- 8

RBI
              Home- 73
              Away- 41

Comment

• skier14
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by kellsox
                Something to chew on...
                Gonzalez #'s home/away in basically same amt of games and ab's

Avg:
                Home- .390
                Away .293

HR
                Home- 25
                Away- 8

RBI
                Home- 73
                Away- 41
                He has much better home splits. This however, does not have anything to do with somebody from the Rockies organization possibly throwing in a ball not from the humidor in the 7th or 8th inning.

Comment

• lakeerie92
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by skier14
                  He has much better home splits. This however, does not have anything to do with somebody from the Rockies organization possibly throwing in a ball not from the humidor in the 7th or 8th inning.
                  If they have ball that are not in the humidor it isn't just one person doing it that knows about it. The bat boys would have to be in on it along with most the people on the team. The bat boys deliver the balls to the umpire and would have to know which ones to use. It is a team cheating not one individual cheating for them. If it is true that is.
                  Russell Wuerffel
                  Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                  lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• skier14
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by lakeerie92
                    If they have ball that are not in the humidor it isn't just one person doing it that knows about it. The bat boys would have to be in on it along with most the people on the team. The bat boys deliver the balls to the umpire and would have to know which ones to use. It is a team cheating not one individual cheating for them. If it is true that is.
                    True, it is not one person, but it isn't the players and the manager. It would be the umpires assistant, clubhouse manager, batboys etc.

But it still is not the players cheating or knowing about it.

Comment

• lakeerie92
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by skier14
                      True, it is not one person, but it isn't the players and the manager. It would be the umpires assistant, clubhouse manager, batboys etc.

But it still is not the players cheating or knowing about it.
                      It would be naive to think the players don't know about it. I especially think the pitching staff is away of what one feels like in case one stays in the umpires pouch until the bottom half of the inning and they get it. Otherwise it would almost negate the advantage.
                      Russell Wuerffel
                      Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                      lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                        • May 2009

They aren't cheaters from an "in-game" sense, it just sucks to be a pitcher at Coors because then each team's hitters have that advantage. From a season sense though, and if it is indeed true (although, if Jon Miller brought it up I'm not listening) then the stats do need to be considered for a title vote whether it's MVP, ROY, etc.

Comment

• jbsportstuff
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
                          They aren't cheaters from an "in-game" sense, it just sucks to be a pitcher at Coors because then each team's hitters have that advantage. From a season sense though, and if it is indeed true (although, if Jon Miller brought it up I'm not listening) then the stats do need to be considered for a title vote whether it's MVP, ROY, etc.
                          This has been brough up before and there are several here who will jump all over these posts claiming that they are bunk. Frankly..the numbers don't lie.

Comment

• justinbittner220
                            • Apr 2010

First off, I never heard anything about this. Would ESPN ever broadcast such an accusation? Also (This might be a dumb question), but can someone explain "the humidor" to me?

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                              • May 2009

I'm not denying this claim, all I'm saying is that according to this the hitters have the edge while playing at Coors.

Comment

Working...