PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Bat Stairway Banisters.....

camarokids
09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I want to use some game used bats to make banisters in my stairway leading to the basement.

Anything in particular I need to know? Such as, do I need to worry about the screw splitting the handle?

Just use regular banister hardware?

Thanks!

Fnazxc0114
09-28-2010, 12:21 AM
hey camaro sorry i cant be of any help but is there any way you can call my wife and convince her i need the same thing.

yanks12025
09-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I would pre-drill the hole then put the screw in. Also if you have any cheap store model bats you could try it on them first.

suave1477
09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I wouldnt do it period!!

Reminds me of a old thread that was on the forum about a year or 2 ago about a guy who did the same thing expect he made them out of Game Used DiMaggio bats & Ruth and a lot of other major names.
What a shame!!:(

lakeerie92
09-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I wouldnt do it period!!

Reminds me of a old thread that was on the forum about a year or 2 ago about a guy who did the same thing expect he made them out of Game Used DiMaggio bats & Ruth and a lot of other major names.
That hurts, but I don't think it will hurt anybody to use some Greg Norton bats, besides most of those were swung without ever hitting anything.

camarokids
09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I would pre-drill the hole then put the screw in. Also if you have any cheap store model bats you could try it on them first.

Thanks for the advice, I have a bit that will be perfect for the job.

camarokids
09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
hey camaro sorry i cant be of any help but is there any way you can call my wife and convince her i need the same thing.

Sure, I will talk to her for you. What is her number ? ;)

camarokids
09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldnt do it period!!

Hey Jason,

How is it going up there in NY?

I am planning on using bats that are from common players, like Steve Cox and so on.

No Fred McGriff's or Wade Boggs' will be used......

camarokids
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
That hurts, but I don't think it will hurt anybody to use some Greg Norton bats, besides most of those were swung without ever hitting anything.

Actually I have a Norton bat with tons of use....;).... maybe it was used in BP......lol...

I will be using cheap bats that I paid $10-$15 for....

lakeerie92
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Actually I have a Norton bat with tons of use....;).... maybe it was used in BP......lol...

I will be using cheap bats that I paid $10-$15 for....
My skewed opinion of Greg Norton comes from his many "clutch" pinch hits he had for the Braves last year. I remember one strike out he swung so hard he fell on the ground

godwulf
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Reminds me of something I think I must have seen in an auction catalog, once. It was a bench, the kind with a back and arms, about the size of a standard loveseat, made out of GU bats. The thing is, the bench had been crafted a long, long time ago - I seem to recall it was made by a major league coach - and the bats were from the '20s and '30s. Of course, that was back in the day when even a lot of stars' bats ended up in a garbage bin or somebody's fire.

Before I bought my current house, in '01, I was actually looking for a place with a long hallway; I had in mind installing shallow, glass-fronted, floor level cutouts on either side, the length of the hall, with internal lighting, and of course filling them with upright gamers. That didn't happen. Maybe the next house.

CampWest
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM

You can say that, but remember one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I was heartbroken when I stumbled across an ebay auction for an ugly, wobbly, triangular coffee table with the three legs made of 3 game used baseball bats each cut in thirds with the table and a shelf inserted between the cuts. One of the "scrub" firewood bats was one of the nicest game used examples I've ever seen of one of my childhood favorites...
8 time gold glover Frank White.

The guy who listed it even said something like, "One bat is signed and shows great use, looks like it says Frank White. I don't know who that is, he mustve played before I can remember, so I used it in this table. Anybody know if he was any good?"

So, if you want to do it, the only way I'd be supportive is if you used the no name minor league bats. Otherwise I'm afraid some day I'll see another awesome Frank White bat bolted to a handrail.

chicagoglen
09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Reminds me of something I think I must have seen in an auction catalog, once. It was a bench, the kind with a back and arms, about the size of a standard loveseat, made out of GU bats. The thing is, the bench had been crafted a long, long time ago - I seem to recall it was made by a major league coach - and the bats were from the '20s and '30s. Of course, that was back in the day when even a lot of stars' bats ended up in a garbage bin or somebody's fire.

I remember that bench in the auction. It was beautiful.

I could of sworn it had bats from Ruth, Cobb, and many other HOF's in it. Had a leather pad running accross it. I remember it seeling for a pretty hefty price.

camarokids
10-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Here they are!

Just put these up.... The bats are Jon Farrell, Garth Iorg, Wayne Nordhagen and Tom Foley......

Still waiting for the glue to dry on one of the bats. I repaired them to keep any of the kids from getting any splinters......

The bats only have four screw holes in them, so they are still in a collectible state!