PDA

View Full Version : What's more appealing - the purchase or trade?

Rob L
09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
A fellow GU member and I have just completed a great trade. I actually think that it was more fun working up a trade vs. just a straight purchase. Anyways, I traded a 2004 ManRam GU jersey for a 1991 Goose Gossage GU cap and Warm-up jersey (Gossage LOAs) and a 2009 Spring Training GU David Robertson jersey (Steiner LOA, photomatched to Picture Day as well).

AWA85
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I am a fan of trading because I feel it is a way to upgrade your collection from both sides of the deal. When a deal can be struck that leaves both sides happy, it is a win win.

Also a trade is more justifiable in the ladies eye's when she sees box after box delivered to the front door. ;)

sox83cubs84
09-28-2010, 01:56 PM
The only thing I don't like about trading is collectors who sucker you into believing that that's all they can afford to do, when it isn't. If I know someone is having financial woes, I will work with them, including trading, as I've been in that spot myself many times. When you encounter somone who insists on trading with you, then runs over to you at the next show to show you an item they just bought from a dealer, well, for me, it really grinds my gears. (Obligatory Family Guy reference for the week).

Dave Miedema

Fnazxc0114
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I like the trade, but there arent many guys who collecto what i like. Ive done one trade on here and was happy with the outcome.

legaleagle92481
09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
The purchase. Trading is very hard you have to match up items that are worth an approximately identical amount. Then you have to decide who sends the item first, which until you get the item you are receiving if your the one who sends it first is very nerveracking. Also alot of times the guys looking to trade are peddling less than desirable stuff that they assign unrealistic values to, some of the offers I have gotten were downright crazy. Also when you buy you have more protection. Guy trades you item that turns out to be fake for your legit five figure item and your pretty much screwed as far as ever recovering the item you traded since the guy could have sold it already. Selling one thing then using proceeds to buy another is much simplier for me at least.

mlupo
09-29-2010, 01:53 AM
For me PURCHASE is the only way to go, a trade would be great but I just can't get rid of items in my collection. Once I get something in my collection it stays there. The only time I would trade away anything is if I bought a lot because of only 1 item I wanted, then I would trade away the rest.