PDA

View Full Version : Mark Teixeira Walk off Home Run Bat ALDS 2009

jsr418
09-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone. I have been a long time lurker but this is my first attempt at posting. Earlier this year I purchased a Mark Teixeira game used bat that was MLB Authenticated as being broken on October 11, 2009 in his first at-bat against Carl Pavano. As I was doing my research, I realized that Teixeira actually hit a walk off home run in the bottom of the 11th inning to win game 2 against the Twins. This game was on October 9th. I have been trying to photo match the bat to the home run but have had a difficult time finding any photos that are high enough quality. I found some shots that lead me to believe that this is indeed the same bat that was used to hit the walk off home run. I am including some photos that have been found (with the help of Kyle Hess). Does anyone have any access to some of the higher resolution photos? I have been able to match up some ball marks and some moto stick/pine tar on the handle.

From my discussion with Kyle, he pretty much told me the following. "From looking at pics of Tex in the ALDS, it looks like your bat is most-likely the same, because it seems to be that he would use the same bat for 1-2 games, then switch to a different model. Before using the 2-tone Marucci in Game 2 & 3, he was using an LVS for games 1 & 2. Then after your bat cracked, he switched to a all-black Marucci. So being that he's seen using the same Marucci bat for only 3 or 4 at-bats, then it has to be the same."

Hologram number LH309156 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BROKEN BAT.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: 2009 ALDS GAME 3 NYY AT MIN
Session Date: October 11, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: USED AND BROKEN BY MARK TEIXEIRA IN THE 1ST INN FOR F-4. PITCHED BY CARL PAVANO.

This is my first shot at this and I am by no means a photo shop expert so I am apologizing in advance!

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks very much.

Jay

jsr418
09-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Here are the photos that Kyle found. I think the key is the small mark on the tape on the handle as well as the way the # 25 is filled in in white. Thanks again for your feedback and taking the time to help out a newbie!

Jay

AWA85
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Great bat, and welcome to the board.

Does your bat have that dark dot that is about 3/4 of the way up on the handle. That seems to be a spot that could really help match it.

jsr418
09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks very much for your reply. I thought I had a better photo of it but I think this is the best I have for now.

cliffjmp33
09-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Jay, welcome first off and very nice bat.

One thing that may help photomatch is in the last photo on the lighter part (handle), there is a circular discoloration (blue or black). I think if you could match that to yours, that may be the easiest answer.

cliffjmp33
09-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Beaten to it ... I think IMO that is a match.

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your imput Jack. I really appreciate it. I wish these photos were clearer but I think this is what you are talking about?

lakeerie92
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Beaten to it ... I think IMO that is a match.
That black dot won't help identify it because all bats have it, but it does appear to match the bat used in the 6th inning photos based on the ball marks under the Marucci logo.

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Here is a photo from the ninth inning when he started the rally.

-Tony

cliffjmp33
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
That black dot won't help identify it because all bats have it, but it does appear to match the bat used in the 6th inning photos based on the ball marks under the Marucci logo.

Didn't know that ... I appreciate the education. Haven't ventured into bats.

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Russell,

What do you guys think about the mark on the tape in the two photos attached? This is from the at-bat in the 11th inning.

lakeerie92
09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks Russell,

What do you guys think about the mark on the tape in the two photos attached? This is from the at-bat in the 11th inning.

It helps, but it isn't enough for it to be definative. The chances are strong that it is the same bat, you just have to dig deeper to find several identical marks

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I think my ninth inning shot offers 3-4 ball marks, if you provide a photo with the bat angled that way, it would be good evidence that it was at least used in the ninth. I do like the mark missing on the tape handle, nice catch.

-Tony

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I've found it very difficult to find anything that is high enough quality to help. Any other ideas? I used all of the resources on the photo matching thread. Does anyone else have access to MLB HD TV? Thanks again for your input.

lakeerie92
09-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Here is a photo from the ninth inning when he started the rally.

-Tony
The ball mark on the bat appears to match the bat in question too. So it looks as if it was used in the 6th and 9th. With the spot on the tape it seems to be in the same location as the one in the photo. If anybody can zoom in on that photo and see if the mark lines up with the markings on the knob that may narrow it down even more.

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
I've found it very difficult to find anything that is high enough quality to help. Any other ideas? I used all of the resources on the photo matching thread. Does anyone else have access to MLB HD TV? Thanks again for your input.

Look at the ball mark on the top of the photo I provided, its missing in the same areas as the mark on the top of your bat... I think its a match.

-Tony

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Sorry Tony,

I missed your post before. Here are a few shots that are the best I have right now with that angle.

Jay

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
The ball mark on the bat appears to match the bat in question too. So it looks as if it was used in the 6th and 9th. With the spot on the tape it seems to be in the same location as the one in the photo. If anybody can zoom in on that photo and see if the mark lines up with the markings on the knob that may narrow it down even more.

I agree, the reason I think it coincides is where the shape of the mark, it seems to veer in on the right side, also it seems to have to have the gap from the seem mark leading into a ball transfer on the left.

I wish you could hold the bat up the same way, to see if the other two marks match up.

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry Tony,

I missed your post before. Here are a few shots that are the best I have right now with that angle.

Jay

I cant tell, I didnt realize there was another mark with the blue ink transfer. Im stumped again, I still think the mark matches the one I pointed out.

-Tony

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:38 PM
You guys are incredible. Ive tried to zoom in on that photo of the knob but it becomes too grainy to really make any decisions based off of it. Here is the best I was able to do with that photo. Thanks again guys!

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Tony, Keep in mind, the MLB authentication says it was broken in the next at bat in the next game. There could be extra ball marks on there from the at-bat that it was broken in.

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:41 PM
You guys are incredible. Ive tried to zoom in on that photo of the knob but it becomes too grainy to really make any decisions based off of it. Here is the best I was able to do with that photo. Thanks again guys!

Its a sweet bat, I hate reading this because now my juices are flowing in trying to acquire a Tex bat. :D

-Tony

cliffjmp33
09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Best I could do putting them side by side. Seems a little inconclusive as the Tex photo isn't high resolution.

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
That obviously didn't work. Try this one.....

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Best I could do putting them side by side. Seems a little inconclusive as the Tex photo isn't high resolution.

I swear that top mark has the same gaps and spaces. The other two are more inconclusive.

-Tony

cliffjmp33
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I swear that top mark has the same gaps and spaces. The other two are more inconclusive.

-Tony

Agreed, just wish we could get a higher resolution to confirm 100%.

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Does seeing how he actually broke the bat help maybe clarify the other ball marks?

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Its a sweet bat, I hate reading this because now my juices are flowing in trying to acquire a Tex bat. :D

-Tony

hahahaha....Sorry about that!

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Does seeing how he actually broke the bat help maybe clarify the other ball marks?

What it shows is that the ball transfer/ ink marks, seem marks, are where they should be given the angle on the marucci.

-Tony

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Any ideas guys as far as some higher quality images to go by?

jsr418
09-28-2010, 01:56 PM
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I00007RD2Q8eew4k
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000D2yTxqZMHwE
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000N56hyEIEdkQ
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000VOdGRDiqJgE

These are really clear but the site didn't let me "borrow them" for photo matching purposes......

lakeerie92
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM

-Tony
legaleagle has a nice Tex bat that is MLB authenticated for a good price. I have had my eye on it for a while but can't get the money together for it. He may still have it if you are serious

spartanservitto
09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
legaleagle has a nice Tex bat that is MLB authenticated for a good price. I have had my eye on it for a while but can't get the money together for it. He may still have it if you are serious

Do you have his email?

-Tony

jsr418
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Do you have his email?

-Tony

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=38119

Check this thread......

gameused
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I00007RD2Q8eew4k
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000D2yTxqZMHwE
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000N56hyEIEdkQ
http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000VOdGRDiqJgE

These are really clear but the site didn't let me "borrow them" for photo matching purposes......

Send me an email, I may be able to help you.

Thanks, Bobby
hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

jsr418
09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Send me an email, I may be able to help you.

Thanks, Bobby
hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

You have Mail Bobby.

Thanks a lot,

Jay

zookerman182
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
its a dead on match. congrats

yankees506
09-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Did you get the bat via MLB auctions?

jsr418
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Zooker..... Bat was purchased from gameusedbats.com. John was wonderful to work with.....

spartanservitto
09-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks Zooker..... Bat was purchased from gameusedbats.com. John was wonderful to work with.....

If I would have known, I would have bought the bat from Taube.... What significance, great pick up, and congrats, glad I could help.

-Tony

jsr418
09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Tony,

Thanks again for your help. I am working on finding better photos to help get more definitive match. From what everyone is saying, it is definitely a match just want to have more photo evidence. Special thanks to Russell and to Bobby as well. If anyone else has any real HD stills from the bluray or any other HD shots, please let me know.

Its funny. There are certain events that take place in life that you will nenver forget where you were or what you were doing. Being a huge Yankee fan, I'll remember where I was during that homerun forever.

Jay

allstarsplus
09-29-2010, 09:38 AM
You should research who the photographer was. On Getty Images, they usually list the photographer of record. Then Google to find the photographer. A lot of them have dozens of other photos that they didn't upload that they may sell you pics of the bat only to help you out as long as you tell them it is for "personal use".

I have gotten to know most of the photogs at my local stadium that are always willing for a small price to send me cut & paste photos for my personal use. I made a significant find earlier this year doing that. The photographer had 2 photos that were insignificant and never uploaded them and it gave me a definitive match.

Hi Res images make a world of difference.

Good luck!

jsr418
09-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks Andrew. Thats a great idea. Ill let you know how it works out!

Jay

jsr418
10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I wanted to Thank Bobby very much for helping me photo-match this Tex bat from the ALDS last year as the bat he used to hit the walk off Home Run. While my photoshop skills are novice, I tried to illustrate the best that I can some of the pine tar marks from my photos and the best High Res image of the bat. Please excuse my inexperience there.

While we know the industry is being flooded with game used merchandise, it is pretty awesome to be able to match something to a game or play that has some sort of significance.

Thanks again to Bobby and everyone else that lent a hand in this.

Jay