Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsr418
    • Apr 2010

Mark Teixeira Walk off Home Run Bat ALDS 2009

Hi everyone. I have been a long time lurker but this is my first attempt at posting. Earlier this year I purchased a Mark Teixeira game used bat that was MLB Authenticated as being broken on October 11, 2009 in his first at-bat against Carl Pavano. As I was doing my research, I realized that Teixeira actually hit a walk off home run in the bottom of the 11th inning to win game 2 against the Twins. This game was on October 9th. I have been trying to photo match the bat to the home run but have had a difficult time finding any photos that are high enough quality. I found some shots that lead me to believe that this is indeed the same bat that was used to hit the walk off home run. I am including some photos that have been found (with the help of Kyle Hess). Does anyone have any access to some of the higher resolution photos? I have been able to match up some ball marks and some moto stick/pine tar on the handle.

From my discussion with Kyle, he pretty much told me the following. "From looking at pics of Tex in the ALDS, it looks like your bat is most-likely the same, because it seems to be that he would use the same bat for 1-2 games, then switch to a different model. Before using the 2-tone Marucci in Game 2 & 3, he was using an LVS for games 1 & 2. Then after your bat cracked, he switched to a all-black Marucci. So being that he's seen using the same Marucci bat for only 3 or 4 at-bats, then it has to be the same."

Hologram number LH309156 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BROKEN BAT.
    Session Product Description:
    Session Name: 2009 ALDS GAME 3 NYY AT MIN
    Session Date: October 11, 2009
    Autographer:
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
    Additional Information: USED AND BROKEN BY MARK TEIXEIRA IN THE 1ST INN FOR F-4. PITCHED BY CARL PAVANO.

This is my first shot at this and I am by no means a photo shop expert so I am apologizing in advance!

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks very much.

Jay
    Attached Files
  • jsr418
    • Apr 2010

Re: Mark Teixeira Walk off Home Run Bat ALDS 2009

Here are the photos that Kyle found. I think the key is the small mark on the tape on the handle as well as the way the # 25 is filled in in white. Thanks again for your feedback and taking the time to help out a newbie!

Jay
    Attached Files

Comment

• AWA85
      • Jan 2008

Great bat, and welcome to the board.

Does your bat have that dark dot that is about 3/4 of the way up on the handle. That seems to be a spot that could really help match it.
      Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• jsr418
        • Apr 2010

Thanks very much for your reply. I thought I had a better photo of it but I think this is the best I have for now.
        Attached Files

Comment

• cliffjmp33
          • Jun 2010

Jay, welcome first off and very nice bat.

One thing that may help photomatch is in the last photo on the lighter part (handle), there is a circular discoloration (blue or black). I think if you could match that to yours, that may be the easiest answer.
          Cheers,
          Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
          My Memorabilia Collection

Comment

• cliffjmp33
            • Jun 2010

Beaten to it ... I think IMO that is a match.
            Cheers,
            Jack

Comment

• jsr418
              • Apr 2010

Thanks for your imput Jack. I really appreciate it. I wish these photos were clearer but I think this is what you are talking about?
              Attached Files

Comment

• lakeerie92
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cliffjmp33
                Beaten to it ... I think IMO that is a match.
                That black dot won't help identify it because all bats have it, but it does appear to match the bat used in the 6th inning photos based on the ball marks under the Marucci logo.
                Russell Wuerffel
                Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• spartanservitto
                  • May 2010

Here is a photo from the ninth inning when he started the rally.

-Tony
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
                  My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
                  My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• cliffjmp33
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by lakeerie92
                    That black dot won't help identify it because all bats have it, but it does appear to match the bat used in the 6th inning photos based on the ball marks under the Marucci logo.
                    Didn't know that ... I appreciate the education. Haven't ventured into bats.
                    Cheers,
                    Jack

Comment

• jsr418
                      • Apr 2010

Thanks Russell,

What do you guys think about the mark on the tape in the two photos attached? This is from the at-bat in the 11th inning.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• lakeerie92
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jsr418
                        Thanks Russell,

What do you guys think about the mark on the tape in the two photos attached? This is from the at-bat in the 11th inning.
                        It helps, but it isn't enough for it to be definative. The chances are strong that it is the same bat, you just have to dig deeper to find several identical marks
                        Russell Wuerffel
                        Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                        lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• spartanservitto
                          • May 2010

I think my ninth inning shot offers 3-4 ball marks, if you provide a photo with the bat angled that way, it would be good evidence that it was at least used in the ninth. I do like the mark missing on the tape handle, nice catch.

-Tony
                          sigpic
                          Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
                          My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
                          My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• jsr418
                            • Apr 2010

I've found it very difficult to find anything that is high enough quality to help. Any other ideas? I used all of the resources on the photo matching thread. Does anyone else have access to MLB HD TV? Thanks again for your input.

Comment

• lakeerie92
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by spartanservitto
                              Here is a photo from the ninth inning when he started the rally.

-Tony
                              The ball mark on the bat appears to match the bat in question too. So it looks as if it was used in the 6th and 9th. With the spot on the tape it seems to be in the same location as the one in the photo. If anybody can zoom in on that photo and see if the mark lines up with the markings on the knob that may narrow it down even more.
                              Russell Wuerffel
                              lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

Working...