PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Cal Bears Baseball & other sports

Dewey2007
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
It was announced that the California Golden Bears will cut 5 intercollegiate sports at the end of this school year. They are Baseball, Gymnastics (Men's & Women's), Lacrosse (Women's) and Rugby which has won 25 National Championships over the last 30 years or so.

I am curious if the current MLB Cal players and alumni will rally and try to save the baseball program with donations.

Dark day in the Cal sports today...Here is a link to the story:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2010/09/28_athletics.shtml

LastingsMilledge85
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Well for baseball there's always USCB, they aren't cutting it there I hope?

LastingsMilledge85
09-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Well for baseball there's always USCB, they aren't cutting it there I hope?

UCSB excuse me

Dewey2007
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
UCSB excuse me

UCSB is my alma mater and they run a good program their too. I work on the Cal-Berkeley campus so it will be weird not to have baseball anymore especially since it's been a very competitive program and has put a number of players into the professional ranks.

I guess my Cal Bears bat collection will stop with any position player draft picks from next June's draft.

MLB_Authentic
09-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I would say more people might start going to Cal State Fullerton, but Cal is where all the kids that aren't good enough for Fullerton go.

Dewey2007
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
I would say more people might start going to Cal State Fullerton, but Cal is where all the kids that aren't good enough for Fullerton go.

Good one! That's the downside of having academic standards...you lose out on good recruits now and then :)

Mets05
09-28-2010, 07:52 PM

I hope not!!!

Wouldn't want to Fullerton to have to go through that kind of national championship drought, 1957 was a long time ago...Hopefully, those kids at Cal now will be allowed to transfer without penalty.

Mets05
09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I hope not!!!

Wouldn't want to Fullerton to have to go through that kind of national championship drought, 1957 was a long time ago...Hopefully, those kids at Cal now will be allowed to transfer without penalty.

Following up, just spoke to someone close to the Cal program and was told the kids can transfer in the spring without penalty but the regents are "up in the air" about letting kids leave now.

Like I said earlier, I would think the administration would be "forward thinking" enough not screw with the future of these kids caught in these tough circumstances.

Mets05

legaleagle92481
09-28-2010, 08:54 PM
That stinks. It is the era I live in I guess, every place is cut, cut, cut. Its a real shame. It happens everywhere now. My alma mater is Hofstra University in Long Island, New York. They cut their football program last year despite the fact that alumni were in the midst of playing key roles on two straight super bowl teams. Willie Colon was a starting guard on the 08 Steelers and Marques Colston is obviously a star receiver on the Saints. Other NFl players who attended Hofstra are Kyle Arrington (Current New England Patriot) and Stephen Bowen who is a Cowboy. Wayne Chebret, Dave Fiore and Lance Schuttlers, who both played many years in the NFL also attended there. The team was not division I but with talent like that it wasn't exactely a waste.