PDA

View Full Version : Trading A Home Run Derby Game Used Ball With Player

Utopian2630
07-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Everyone,
I would have posted earlier, but I have been in and out of town the last few weeks. I ended up catching one of the Century 21 Gold home run balls Ryan Howard hit during the Home Run Derby. It was the one that bounced off the ESPN broadcast booth and i grabbed it off a bounce when it rolled off the roof. Since the Phillies are going to be in town in a few weeks, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to offer to trade the ball with him? If so, what would be an acceptable trade to suggest? I'm not much into collecting game-used balls, so I am wondering if anyone here has any experience making deals with players??

Thanks!
Stephen

psmachetti
08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm willing to bet he really doesn't care much about 1 ball. That's assuming you even get to make contact w/him.
Paul

ironmanfan
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
If you wanted to pursue this, I'd contact the Phillies PR staff to let them know what you have & they can check with Howard to see if he (or the club) has any interest.

staindsox
08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I doubt he will care much about the ball, but it would be pretty cool if he signed it for you. Good luck.

Chris

Utopian2630
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I agree that I doubt he'd have much interest in the ball either, but hey I figured its worth a shot since I'm not much of a ball collector. I figured maybe I could offer to trade it to him for a bat or something. The worst thing he could do is say "no". And since my girlfriend's office is right across the street from where the ball players stay, I could leave work early one afternoon and give it a shot. At the very least I could try to get the ball signed, but since I've been out of the autograph collecting game since the last time the All Star Game was in Pittsburgh, I have no idea what his signing habits are like.

allstarsplus
08-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I was in left center field and didn't catch any Ryan Howard's but did get a David Wright and several HR balls during the BP.

I am going to send my HR ball into to Emil at Locker Room to get David to sign the ball which will make a great collectible.

Ryan just did a HR Derby signing with IronClad and the Gold balls look great with HR Derby Champ inscription. If you are interested in getting it signed, email me at info@AllstarsPlus.com

psmachetti
08-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Good idea. Get the ball signed, and put it up on the forum for trade. Someone that's into autographs may trade you something you want like a bat.
Paul

NegleyPirate
08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Everyone,
I would have posted earlier, but I have been in and out of town the last few weeks. I ended up catching one of the Century 21 Gold home run balls Ryan Howard hit during the Home Run Derby. It was the one that bounced off the ESPN broadcast booth and i grabbed it off a bounce when it rolled off the roof. Since the Phillies are going to be in town in a few weeks, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to offer to trade the ball with him? If so, what would be an acceptable trade to suggest? I'm not much into collecting game-used balls, so I am wondering if anyone here has any experience making deals with players??

Thanks!
Stephen
Hello Stephen,
Would u trade the ball for anything? plmk mike

sportscentury
08-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Does anyone remember the discussion after the All Star Game in Boston a few years back about the homerun derby baseballs being different than OML balls? McGwire was hitting them over the lights (beyond the Green Monster) and Griffey had commented that he felt like he was hitting golf balls out of the park, the way they jumped off of his bat. ESPN later reported that the balls were harder and slightly smaller than normal OML baseballs. Does anyone remember this?

Are the homerun derby balls that they are using these days OML baseballs or different baseballs?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Reid