PDA

View Full Version : Ebay frustration with GU CARDS!

soxfan
10-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread...maybe Auction Discussion...MOD's move if needs be.

Is anyone else sick and tired of when you go to Ebay, just to take a browse at what is out there in that market for, let's say a GU/Worn jerseys, from any Major League sport, and out of the 6000+ hits you get, almost 5000 are so called "Game Used/Worn" CARDS!!!

Is there any way Ebay could maybe trim out these to their own, very boring category so that someone who is looking for a GU/Worn FULL jersey, heltmet, bat, cap, etc can see that instead of having to weed through the 1000's of useless $3 "GU" cards?

Let me know your thoughts....good to be back as I have welcomed a baby girl into our lives 11 weeks ago and my wife have been ill for over 6 weeks....so it is nice to be back posting about the "obsession" in my life.

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

island_style
10-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Jeremy,

Congrats on your newborn daughter, and I hope that your wife gets well soon. You certainly have your hands full!

Try the eBay Advanced Search, and then type in words that you want to exclude like the names of the card companies, swatch, card, patch, etc. That should help narrow down the search (and give you more time for the diaper changes).

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

joelsabi
10-01-2010, 04:42 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread...maybe Auction Discussion...MOD's move if needs be.

Is anyone else sick and tired of when you go to Ebay, just to take a browse at what is out there in that market for, let's say a GU/Worn jerseys, from any Major League sport, and out of the 6000+ hits you get, almost 5000 are so called "Game Used/Worn" CARDS!!!

Is there any way Ebay could maybe trim out these to their own, very boring category so that someone who is looking for a GU/Worn FULL jersey, heltmet, bat, cap, etc can see that instead of having to weed through the 1000's of useless $3 "GU" cards?

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

congrats.

just put a (-) in front of any word you want to negate. for example when i search for game use for alex rodriguez, i type in alex rodriguez -card then click into the game used memorablia category. now you won't be frustrated on those early morning feedings where you cannot get back to sleep. ;)

vonbrandingo
10-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Thank you for your post. When I type in "game used bat" into ebay, I know I will be sifting through hundreds of game used cards but I like it because it reminds me how far I've come since moving on from them. Part of me feels sorry for people who spend thousands on many of these cards when all they really need is their first full game used item of a favorite player to move on to the real deal. I understand your frustration, but I consider myself lucky to feel it too.

Congratulations and good luck.

sox83cubs84
10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Another approach I've used, with decent success, is to put values in the appropriate area of the search engine, in which it is asked the value range you're seeking. I start at $9.99 and go up to $200,000. I end up sifting through anywhere from 800-1200 entries, instead of 5 or 6 thousand. Also, there are extremely few game used items that are offered for an opening bid of less than $9.99.

Dave Miedema

Sincityson
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Completely agree! This has been a semi frustrating issue for a while, more so in part to the people that post them as opposed to ebay, yet ebay needs to address this issue, it's over due.

legaleagle92481
10-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Here is what I do. List stuff in descending price order, You get very few cards that way. It works if your looking for high to moderately priced items.

kudu
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM
You can also click on " Categories " on the main Ebay page, then click " Sports Mem, Cards, & Fan Shop", then click on " Game Used Memorabilia ", and do a search from there.
(http://sports-cards.shop.ebay.com/)

justinbittner220
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, this jerks me the wrong way. It's a card. It should be listed as a card in the card category. Then there should be subcategories of cards - base, insert, auto, game worn/used, 1/1, etc.

Fnazxc0114
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I credit those dumb cards for getting me back into the sport collecting hobby. I remember buying a pack of cards out of the blue and there was some random jersey card in there. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. ONce i realized the real thing could be had for relatively cheap I switched to real g/u.

Klattsy
10-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I credit those dumb cards for getting me back into the sport collecting hobby. I remember buying a pack of cards out of the blue and there was some random jersey card in there. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. ONce i realized the real thing could be had for relatively cheap I switched to real g/u.

Ditto with that mate. I'm currently trying to flog off my cards to afford more genuine full GU items!

Mark.

Tallyman77
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes.......it is totally frustrating and you would think Ebay would have taken care of this by now. By no means are we, the GUU Forum, the first ones to address this issue. You can bet on that. :)

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net

joelsabi
10-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Honestly, there is not much that can be done except to filter your searches. Sellers will always circumvent the rules to get more buyers to see their item and will also list the item in multiple categories as well to get more hits.

When you have an item that crosses over many categories, you just have to accept it. What incentive does Ebay have to address this issue when they get an extra .25 each time a seller decides to list his item in a second category?

Tallyman77
10-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Honestly, there is not much that can be done except to filter your searches. Sellers will always circumvent the rules to get more buyers to see their item and will also list the item in multiple categories as well to get more hits.

When you have an item that crosses over many categories, you just have to accept it. What incentive does Ebay have to address this issue when they get an extra .25 each time a seller decides to list his item in a second category?
Joel......you are dead on it. Ebay's incentive? Definitely $$$$$$$$$$. :)

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net