PDA

View Full Version : Look at this bull crap!

33bird
10-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Now they're cutting up bigger pieces of game used bats and selling them. Here's an Ellsbury bat piece that is on Ebay right now. I hate this crap.

MSpecht
10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I understand, Greg. Go figure. I wonder what happens to the center label area of those bats ???

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

emann
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Kind of a bummer to see these up... Aside from trying to make 3x the price of an individual bat, why not just leave it in one piece? And what happens to the part with no name and not way to ID it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-Piece-Jacoby-Ellsbury-RED-SOX-Bat-DISPLAY-/220677206447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336162f1af#ht_536wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-Piece-Jason-Varitek-RED-SOX-Bat-DISPLAY-/370439763662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563fee36ce#ht_536wt_1139

Jags Fan Dan
10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
That really is bizarre. I just don't get it. I can almost kind of get the cards with the little slivers of bat in them, because at least those have a picture of the player on them. This I just don't get at all.

Fnazxc0114
10-01-2010, 06:42 PM
could this be the next great redemption idea for the card companies?

34swtns
10-01-2010, 10:17 PM
There's no redemption for the card companies.

The very act of cutting up game used equipment and uniforms is nothing short of a f---ing tragedy.

lakeerie92
10-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Kind of a bummer to see these up... Aside from trying to make 3x the price of an individual bat, why not just leave it in one piece? And what happens to the part with no name and not way to ID it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-Piece-Jacoby-Ellsbury-RED-SOX-Bat-DISPLAY-/220677206447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336162f1af#ht_536wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-Piece-Jason-Varitek-RED-SOX-Bat-DISPLAY-/370439763662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563fee36ce#ht_536wt_1139

I cant believe the MLB code for that Varitek bat says it was the barrel of an '07 World Series bat

solarlottry
10-02-2010, 12:34 AM
The card companies are big bidders and buyers during Grey Flannel and AMI auctions. Recently I was bidding against Upper Deck on a Steve Young 94 gamer and they drove the price up to 5000! They were gonna cut it up but I sucked it up and paid the extra cash. I also know of a beautiful 49ers collection that they are after to cut up. The owner said that they offer good money, almost more than collectors are willing to pay. Once these shirts are gone history goes with them. It is hard to compete with big corporations though. I have also heard that people will buy shirts under the guise of wanting to add them to their collection only to turn around and sell them to Upper Deck right away. When you are competing with a company like them, there is almost no competition as their pockets a very deep. It takes a reasonable shirt and turns it into an expensive one. It is a real shame.

Dewey2007
10-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Curious to know how you knew you were bidding against Upper Deck?

The card companies are big bidders and buyers during Grey Flannel and AMI auctions. Recently I was bidding against Upper Deck on a Steve Young 94 gamer and they drove the price up to 5000! They were gonna cut it up but I sucked it up and paid the extra cash. I also know of a beautiful 49ers collection that they are after to cut up. The owner said that they offer good money, almost more than collectors are willing to pay. Once these shirts are gone history goes with them. It is hard to compete with big corporations though. I have also heard that people will buy shirts under the guise of wanting to add them to their collection only to turn around and sell them to Upper Deck right away. When you are competing with a company like them, there is almost no competition as their pockets a very deep. It takes a reasonable shirt and turns it into an expensive one. It is a real shame.

Neal
10-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Curious to know how you knew you were bidding against Upper Deck?

same here ....

As far as game used cards, I have always wondered if the card companies would simply buy one bat, and chip it up. Maybe a little league bat, maybe a 2x4, or a broomstick .... who knows. The "chase" seems more about getting one of the created rarities, not the sliver of wood that is inside.

I kinda like those pencil holders actually.

BU54CB
10-02-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm surprised that Upper Deck is still bidding on NFL game used. They lost their license to produce NFL football cards, so they shouldn't have need for NFL game used unless they know they're getting their license back.