PDA

View Full Version : Both teams clinch in the same game?

slambam
10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I was just looking at the NL standings, and with the Giants up a game on the Pads for the division, and the Pads tied with the Braves for the WC, it's possible for both teams in the Giants/Pads game to clinch a playoff spot tomorrow (if the Braves lose and the Pads win). There could be champagne flowing in each clubhouse at AT&T Park, has that ever happened before?!

psmachetti
10-03-2010, 12:18 AM
If that happens and Giants and Padres are tied will there have to be a playoff on Monday for the div. title or is there a tiebreaker?

justinbittner220
10-03-2010, 08:43 AM
I believe that if the Braves lose and the Giants lose, that the Giants and Padres will play a game for the division title. Then, the loser will play the Braves for the wild card. Right?

lakeerie92
10-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I believe that if the Braves lose and the Giants lose, that the Giants and Padres will play a game for the division title. Then, the loser will play the Braves for the wild card. Right?

No, if that happens the Braves are out. Now if the Braves win and the Giants lose then it will play out like you said

slambam
10-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Actually Justin is right. If the Padres and Braves do the same thing there will be a playoff. If they both win there would be a 3 way tie for the last two spots, so the Giants/Padres play Monday for the West, and the loser goes to Atlanta to play for the WC on Tuesday. If they both lose they'll have a tiebreaker for the WC on Monday. If the Padres win and Braves lose, Padres get the West and Giants get the WC. If the Padres lose and Braves win, Giants get the West and Braves the WC.

slambam
10-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Whoops I read that wrong. I thought it said if the Braves and Padres lose.

kudu
10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I found this link, which shows all of the playoff scenarios:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsNSfGWYMp5Zg1yQbQiCKdwRvLYF?slug=ys-playoffscenarios10

BostonSportsFan
10-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Great stuff coming down to the wire like this.

Joe

lakeerie92
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I went to the Braves game tonight and it was great! After the game and the REO Speedwagon concert (bleh) The allowed fans to stay and watch the Giants game on the big screen. All of the players stayed and had their celebration when the Giants won.