PDA

View Full Version : My afternoon with Wally Yonamine

jetersbatboy
10-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Well, today was a great day! I was able to meet a great baseball player and a greater man in Wally Yonamine. This afternoon I was able to sit down and talk to him for about an hour. Mr Yonamine, is a very humble man that really didn't want to talk about himself. But I was able to get him to share a little. He talked about being born in Maui, and being drafted into the army. He talked about playing for the army football team, and being scouted by the San Fransico 49ers and later being signed by them. He shared about how proud he was to be the first Japanese american to play in the NFL. But had a little disappointment of playing for only a season.

He shared how a year later he move back to Hawaii, and started playing baseball, in which he excelled. He shared his story of playing in the PCL for the San Francisco Seals. Then later being persuaded to go to japan to play baseball.

It would take me forever to describe what we talked about for an hour.

Just a little on Mr Yonamine, he is the Jackie Robinson of Japanese baseball. He was the first american after WWII to play in the NPB. He is credited with changing the way that baseball is played in japan. He had 3 batting titles and an MVP. Mr Yonamine is also the only American in the Japanese Baseball HOF.

Mr Yonamine, was a wonderful man to meet. He was gracious when I asked for his autograph. Only smiled when I mentioned he achievement. A warm man who took the time to give my kids a hug!!!! He is a great "LOCAL BOY" from Hawaii, that we can only hope more of use become!!!!

Heres a short article about him. http://www.janespearl.com/about.html

These are few pictures, and a book he signed for me.

jetersbatboy
10-03-2010, 01:06 AM
A little from the book.

http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/supplements/Excerpts/Fall%2008/9780803213814_excerpt.pdf

Tedw9
10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow, awesome story Scott! Being able to sit with a former player and discuss his career is a real treat. Sounds like he was an incredible athlete and an even better person.

Congrats on spending time with him and thanks for sharing! :)

jetersbatboy
10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Tedw9, Thanks for the kind words!!!

I got to meet up again with Mr Yonamine this weekend, and was able to get a couple of reproduction items signed. 1951 Tokyo Giants away jersey done by Ebbts Field, and a repo LVS. I also enjoyed talking a little more baseball with Mr Yonamine. An same as the first time Him, and his wife are just great people!!

platinum1
10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Tedw9, Thanks for the kind words!!!

I got to meet up again with Mr Yonamine this weekend, and was able to get a couple of reproduction items signed. 1951 Tokyo Giants away jersey done by Ebbts Field, and a repo LVS. I also enjoyed talking a little more baseball with Mr Yonamine. An same as the first time Him, and his wife are just great people!!
NICE!!

ironmanfan
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately Mr. Yonamine passed away.................

RIP

ironmanfan
03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/117157948.html

jetersbatboy
03-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Unfortunately Mr. Yonamine passed away.................

RIP

Yes, it is very unfortunate that he did pass away.

Wally, was a great person!!

Over the past few months I had got very well aquatinted with him and his wife, close enough to call them friends. He will be missed by myself and my children. My son had grown a "Uncle" attachment to him, after meeting him a few times. Maybe it was because Wally played for the Giants, my son favorite team (His tee ball team was the Giants), but I think it was because Wally, showed a great enjoyment in talking to him.

Here is picture of my kids and Wally about a week and a half ago. We where at Wallys home home to pay him a visit and talk story. It was after my son game, so he's still in his uniform. Wally was in high sprits and looked good, I guess you never can tell. This was also the last time I spoke to him. I had spoken to his wife a couple of days ago and found out that he was not doing well. It was a big surprise after only recently seeing him.

RIP Wally Yonamine

Aloha Oe Uncle Wally............

Robert Sanders
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I was just in Honolulu for a conference, and just outside the Gate 25 lounge discovered the fantastic display of many of Wally's personal memorabilia, including game worn jerseys and various trophies and other awards from his long career as player and manager. My friend took some photos for me which I will post in a couple of days when he sends them to me.